New ASRock B450M Motherboard not posting with Ryzen 5 3400G

rkoenn

Aug 4, 2000
I just received a new ASRock B450M-HDV motherboard and Ryzen 5 3400G CPU. I installed the CPU with two sticks of GSkill DDR4 and the system will not post. I am very suspicious that it is because the BIOS is not recent enough to support this CPU. Is there any way to update flash the BIOS with this CPU installed without being able to see anything on the display? I saw an article yesterday about $5 AMD Athlon Socket AM4 CPUs to install for performing the flash but that seems ridiculous as the cost normally is much more than that. So am I stuck with a big problem in this situation or is there another way to update the BIOS without installing an older AMD CPU?

Last edited:
Reactions: Jimzz

Kenmitch

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
It looks like that cpu is only supported with the latest uEFI from ASRock which is dated mid August so odds are your board doesn't have the latest uEFI. I don't think there's anyway to flash the MB without USB flashback feature found on other offerings.

AMD has a cpu loaner program for guy/gals in your predicament.

Depending on where you live maybe another member has a compatible cpu you could borrow to flash your MB?

Reactions: rkoenn

EXCellR8

Diamond Member
Sep 1, 2010
Yea just have someone flash it with another CPU and then reinstall the 3400. Any PC shop can do it.

I don't know of any other way that doesn't involve specialized equipment and/or unnecessary cost and wait time.

rkoenn

Aug 4, 2000
It looks like that cpu is only supported with the latest uEFI from ASRock which is dated mid August so odds are your board doesn't have the latest uEFI. I don't think there's anyway to flash the MB without USB flashback feature found on other offerings.

AMD has a cpu loaner program for guy/gals in your predicament.

Depending on where you live maybe another member has a compatible cpu you could borrow to flash your MB?
Thanks, I just found the AMD loaner webpage and filled out the form so I hope I get one quickly. Do you know for as best as possible that this is likely the problem, would I get no post or anything with what appears to be a dead system? The USB keyboard light does not come on either. While I don't think a dead MB is the problem it is a possibility.

Kenmitch

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
If you get some lights and maybe a fan spinning, etc then the MB is probably good. Is the rig built or are you doing a basic on the box test to make sure it boots up 1st?

My USB keyboard doesn't light up till well withing the booting process so I don't think that means anything at all.

Did you try just booting up with 1 stick of memory? I doubt it would work, but at least you could try and see if it's just a memory compatibility issue keeping you from booting.

daveybrat

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Jan 31, 2000
Thanks, I just found the AMD loaner webpage and filled out the form so I hope I get one quickly. Do you know for as best as possible that this is likely the problem, would I get no post or anything with what appears to be a dead system? The USB keyboard light does not come on either. While I don't think a dead MB is the problem it is a possibility.

It's definitely just a bios issue. That board needs the latest revision to support the 3000 series of processors.

rkoenn

Aug 4, 2000
If you get some lights and maybe a fan spinning, etc then the MB is probably good. Is the rig built or are you doing a basic on the box test to make sure it boots up 1st?

My USB keyboard doesn't light up till well withing the booting process so I don't think that means anything at all.

Did you try just booting up with 1 stick of memory? I doubt it would work, but at least you could try and see if it's just a memory compatibility issue keeping you from booting.
I tried different memory sockets and first had it mounted in the case but then when it wouldn't post, it has always fired up, fans, etc., I removed it and set it on the cardboard box and it did the same thing. It probably is the BIOS/CPU problem and I have a request for a loaner CPU from AMD's website. Hopefully that will do it. I've built 400+ systems over the years and don't recall ever having a dead MB and/or CPU out of the new box.

Reactions: Kenmitch

Kenmitch

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
Once you get the loaner and flash the bios you should be good to go. I always do the on top of the box build 1st as it's less stressful if something goes wrong. It's nice to know she'll boot before figuring out the cable routing and strap points during the build.

rkoenn

Aug 4, 2000
I wanted to give an update on this problem. I contacted AMD and they sent me an Athlon 200GE to let me flash the BIOS. I installed it and the board would still did not post. That surprised me and at first I figured I had a bad board. However before going that route I pulled two sticks of Corsair DDR4 from my personal system, an Intel with 4x4 DDR4, and installed them in the new board. Darned if it didn't POST then and I flashed the BIOS to the latest. I didn't pay attention to what version of the BIOS was installed and I wish I had. I then switched out the CPUs back to the Ryzen and all was fine and I went through an install of Win 10 1903 with no problems. I tried the new GSkill memory again and it would not POST. I then tried the GSkill in my machine and they worked fine and later with the two remaining Corsair sticks and I am writing this with the mixed DDR4 working fine. So it is possible the board might have simply needed compatible memory and while I know such things can happen I have built over 500 machines since 1986 and this might be the only time this has happened. AMD was great giving me the brand new loaner CPU and paying shipping both ways so I highly commend them. So the old story goes, live and learn. The friend I was upgrading picked up the machine today and was very pleased while he watched it run here.

Reactions: Jimzz

jhansman

Platinum Member
Feb 5, 2004
Sounds like you have the one CPU this mobo can't POST with; I held my breath when I first booted my build, and sure enough, the mobo had the earliest BIOS Asrock had for it. I stopped off at ver. 3.20 to see if there were any flutters, and then flashed 3.40 with no issues thus far. Good luck with the AMD loaner. Hope you get up and running soon!

strikerty

Jan 23, 2020
Dude you just saved my butt. I had the exact same issue. Building a pc for a customer and could get it to post with my personal 1800x and could get the 3400g to post in my board but it would not post in the Asrock B450M-HDV with two sticks of GSkill 3200. Swapped it out for a stick of EVGA SuperSC ram and it immediately posted. . .

Reactions: killster1

iffee82

Feb 2, 2020
Hi, I m having same issue. But I have bought B450M-HDV Rev 4.0. What version was your board? I bought this version as I read elsewhere that its bios supports 3400g and all 3rd gen ryzens by default. There should be a sticker on the bios chip which is missing on my board. I am thinking of sending it back.

iffee82

Feb 2, 2020
Dude you just saved my butt. I had the exact same issue. Building a pc for a customer and could get it to post with my personal 1800x and could get the 3400g to post in my board but it would not post in the Asrock B450M-HDV with two sticks of GSkill 3200. Swapped it out for a stick of EVGA SuperSC ram and it immediately posted. . .
was it Rev 4.0 board?

Steltek

Diamond Member
Mar 29, 2001
Hi, I m having same issue. But I have bought B450M-HDV Rev 4.0. What version was your board? I bought this version as I read elsewhere that its bios supports 3400g and all 3rd gen ryzens by default. There should be a sticker on the bios chip which is missing on my board. I am thinking of sending it back.

According to the Asrock support website for that version of the board, it requires either BIOS revision P2.30 or BIOS P3.20 in order to support the Ryzen 5 3400G. Which of the two BIOSes is needed depends upon which model of the 3400G you have.

Steltek

Diamond Member
Mar 29, 2001
No. That is probably a retail part number for the entire retail CPU package (with retail box, CPU, and wraith cooler combo as opposed to an OEM/tray processor with no cooler). The part number for the actual CPU should be printed on top of the heat spreader (underneath your TIM and heatsink).

I suspect it'll work if you get at least BIOS P2.30 installed and you are sure you have compatible memory. Looking closer, I suspect the entry for the chip shown under BIOS P3.20 is just to show that using configurable TDP (between 45-65 watts instead of the max rated 65 watts) is supported in the BIOS at that point.

iffee82

Feb 2, 2020
No. That is probably a retail part number for the entire retail CPU package (with retail box, CPU, and wraith cooler combo as opposed to an OEM/tray processor with no cooler). The part number for the actual CPU should be printed on top of the heat spreader (underneath your TIM and heatsink).

I suspect it'll work if you get at least BIOS P2.30 installed and you are sure you have compatible memory. Looking closer, I suspect the entry for the chip shown under BIOS P3.20 is just to show that using configurable TDP (between 45-65 watts instead of the max rated 65 watts) is supported in the BIOS at that point.
The memory is is an Asgard T2 DDR4 16GB 3000Mhz. I would suspect a beep if its incompatible. But when I power on, the cpu fan starts and I don't hear any beep. I just checked in the supported list, it is not there though. Asrock didn't check it with this brand. But I was not suspecting to go wrong with this. This is the first time, I bought Asrock. I usually go with Gigabyte, and so far everything has worked and never had issues.

Steltek

Diamond Member
Mar 29, 2001
The memory is is an Asgard T2 DDR4 16GB 3000Mhz. I would suspect a beep if its incompatible. But when I power on, the cpu fan starts and I don't hear any beep. I just checked in the supported list, it is not there though. Asrock didn't check it with this brand. But I was not suspecting to go wrong with this. This is the first time, I bought Asrock. I usually go with Gigabyte, and so far everything has worked and never had issues.

You can't blame Asrock for this particular problem. This could have happened no matter what brand you bought as, unfortunately, older boards and newer CPUs rarely mix with good results without intervention (i.e. a BIOS update).

ASUS, Gigabyte, and MSI are all in the process of rolling out systems on newer boards designed to allow BIOS updates without a CPU installed, but there are no guarantees that these systems will ever reach any of their cheaper boards (I suspect it will remain a "premium feature").

In this case, you can't go any further until you can update that BIOS. If the retailer you purchased from can't or won't update the BIOS and you decide to return the board, please make sure to check the manufacturer tech support site for whichever replacement board you choose to ensure it will work out of box with your CPU. You may also be able to get Asrock to swap the board with a replacement with the proper BIOS flashed, or take advantage of AMD's CPU loan program. Usually, if you are in the return window, a return is quicker though.

Last edited:

iffee82

Feb 2, 2020
You can't blame Asrock for this particular problem. This could have happened no matter what brand you bought as, unfortunately, older boards and newer CPUs rarely mix with good results without intervention (i.e. a BIOS update).

ASUS, Gigabyte, and MSI are all in the process of rolling out systems on newer boards designed to allow BIOS updates without a CPU installed, but there are no guarantees that these systems will ever reach any of their cheaper boards (I suspect it will remain a "premium feature").

In this case, you can't go any further until you can update that BIOS. If the retailer you purchased from can't or won't update the BIOS and you decide to return the board, please make sure to check the manufacturer tech support site for whichever replacement board you choose to ensure it will work out of box with your CPU. You may also be able to get Asrock to swap the board with a replacement with the proper BIOS flashed, or take advantage of AMD's CPU loan program. Usually, if you are in the return window, a return is quicker though.
You are quite right. I did't do my reserach before ordering stuff. I returned the board because Asrock customer support told me that if there is no sticker on the bios chipset then it must be having updated bios, and should support 3400g, and advised me to return the board to the vendor. So I sent the package back. Now I am looking for another B450, and I am on a budget so maybe Gigabyte B450M-DS3H or a similar one from MSI Mortar , or Asus TUF B450 Gaming.
When I asked the vendor who I got memory from, he told me 3400G has some issues with RAMs, is that true? I believe it is more of an issue with the motherboard and not with the cpu. On Amd website, they have mentiond 2933 MHz for memory support. Would a 3000 DDR4 work with that or should I get a lower one like 2666 DDR4?
Also, which of the motherboard brands in general have wider support for RAMs?

Steltek

Diamond Member
Mar 29, 2001
The Gigabyte B450M-DS3H and ASUS TUF B450 Plus both have the same potential BIOS issue - you have to make sure that Gigabyte BIOS rev F40 or later or ASUS BIOS rev 1201 or later are installed to work with your processor.

The Ryzen 5 3400G is an "in between" processor (released between 2nd and 3rd gen Ryzen). As a result, while all B450 boards should support it, they almost all will require BIOS upgrades unless they are specifically labeled as supporting 3rd gen Ryzen on the box (any board with a 3rd gen Ryzen BIOS installed should almost certainly have out of box support your processor).

As to your memory, I have no clue what to tell you. I know of no special memory problems specific to the Ryzen 5 3400G that don't apply to other Ryzen APUs. I do know there is very little documentation regarding "Asgard"-brand memory. Once you pick a board, you might email their support department to ask about compatibility. Or, return it and once you pick a board, buy a 2x8GB pair of modules either listed on that board's memory QVL list for Picasso APUs (which is what you have) or from a memory manufacturer who provides a memory compatibility checker (such as g.skill, Crucial, Corsair, ADATA, etc.) which states they will work.

Last edited: