New Apple 17" PowerBook Aluminum announced. HARDCORE!

Eug

Lifer
Mar 11, 2000
# Apple announces new 17" PowerBook using the same screen as the 17" iMac (with a thinner backlight). It is only 1" thick (slightly thinner than Titanium PowerBook). It features a wide-screen 1440x900 display and a 16:10 aspect ratio. It ships with an industry-first screen and a fiber-optic backlight behind keyboard as well as ambient light sensors to control lighting. It weighs only 6.8lbs and is made of a hard-anodized aluminum alloy casing. It has a 1GHz, a slot-loading SuperDrive, an, nVidia 64MB GPU (dual display support), FireWire 800 (an update version of FireWire), 60GB drive, Gigabit Ethernet. Ports: 2 USB ports (one on either side), head phone jack, line-in, FireWire 400, FireWire 800 (with an extra adapter for FireWire 400 connectivity), and built-in BlueTooth and AirPort Extreme networking with the "antennas where they belong" in the screen. The 17" PowerBook has a range equal to iBook, dubbed as the "gold standard" in networking. It uses Lithium Prismatic battery technology for 4.5 hours of battery life. It will be available in February for $3,299.

Eug

Lifer
Mar 11, 2000
Originally posted by: Eug
# Apple announces new 17" PowerBook using the same screen as the 17" iMac (with a thinner backlight). It is only 1" thick (slightly thinner than Titanium PowerBook). It features a wide-screen 1440x900 display and a 16:10 aspect ratio. It ships with an industry-first screen and a fiber-optic backlight behind keyboard as well as ambient light sensors to control lighting. It weighs only 6.8lbs and is made of a hard-anodized aluminum alloy casing. It has a 1GHz, a slot-loading SuperDrive, an, nVidia 64MB GPU (dual display support), FireWire 800 (an update version of FireWire), 60GB drive, Gigabit Ethernet. Ports: 2 USB ports (one on either side), head phone jack, line-in, FireWire 400, FireWire 800 (with an extra adapter for FireWire 400 connectivity), and built-in BlueTooth and AirPort Extreme networking with the "antennas where they belong" in the screen. The 17" PowerBook has a range equal to iBook, dubbed as the "gold standard" in networking. It uses Lithium Prismatic battery technology for 4.5 hours of battery life. It will be available in February for $3,299.

Airport Extreme is 54 Mbps wireless.

12" PowerBook also announced. Very cool.

bgeh

Platinum Member
Nov 16, 2001
W:QW
but for $3299??? (runs to wallet and checks his cash)
can't afford it:(

bgeh

Platinum Member
Nov 16, 2001

Airport Extreme is 54 Mbps wireless.

12" PowerBook also announced. Very cool.

is the airport extreme based on the 802.11a standard or the 802.11g standard?

Darien

Platinum Member
Feb 27, 2002
Let's all get together and rob a bank!

New toys!

Me want! esp. the 12" AlBook (i suppose that's the new shortened name, right? since it's made of aluminum).

Baronz

Mar 12, 2002
Very nice, too bad it's a mac.

Throw a 2.8 ghz P4 in there with a Ti4200 mobile and I would consider spending that much.

Eug

Lifer
Mar 11, 2000
Originally posted by: Baronz
Very nice, too bad it's a mac.

Throw a 2.8 ghz P4 in there with a Ti4200 mobile and I would consider spending that much.
If you don't mind 1 hour of battery life...

Wolfsraider

Diamond Member
Jan 27, 2002
that 17 incher is sweet but i'd be afraid of hurting that screen lol
but i could force myself;)

dannybin1742

Platinum Member
Jan 16, 2002
that 17" screen laptop looks pretty sweet, but for the money i'd go with the sony model that has a simmilar size screen (and a 2.2ghz proc.) for more than $1k less

overall though, apple really does a nice job on design, i just wish they'd change their architechture and start using pc chips

Eug

Lifer
Mar 11, 2000
My personal favourite is the 12" model. It's got EVERYTHING and is 4.6 lbs.

I would have to say that the 12" Aluminum PowerBook is the best design EVER created.

n0cmonkey

Elite Member
Jun 10, 2001
Im thinking about the 12" version myself. My biggest complaint with the TiBook was the size. I like my notebooks small. The 12" is perfect and not too much more than the 12" iBook I was planning on upgrading to.

Questions and comments:
Anyone know which processor is in these new AlBooks? I noticed they have DDR and I was wondering if this is the 7455 or the 7475 or whatever the next version was supposed to be.

No L3 cache kind of sucks, but if the 12" has the newer processor will it really matter?

The resolution is only 1024x768 so we dont get the widescreen look. Its also the same as the iBook (much like the look in the pics), so maybe we will see the iBook dying soon...

The 12" supports 1gB of memory, but the max it appears you can configure it with is 640mB. Not too bad, but not quite what I want ;)

The hard drives appear to be the 4200rpm versions instead of the 5400rpm versions. Not that it is a huge deal to me, but I would still prefer the faster drive.

The 12" does not get Firewire 800.

Built-in Bluetooth rocks and would go well with my phone :D

Airport should be built in in the "higher-end" 12" model.

Where is the gigE?

No PCMCIA?!

Im still going to consider purchasing one, but these are the thoughts I have on the machine right now.

EDIT: It only supports 640mB of ram, but their store page is wrong. All of the powerbook drives appear to be 4200, but I almost remember seeing something about 5400rm drives in one at some point.

mjolnir2k

Apr 25, 2001
It's all well and good until you get to the line that lists the price...Sweet Jesus! That's a whole bunch of Chingoes!

Not a huge fan of the Apple architecture as I don't do any video editing (I think that's the apple claim to fame) but I will say that they have the best / most innovative exterior designs of ANY computer manufacturer (Yes, even the boutique guys like Alien or Falcon)

I would love to have one of those 17" jobbers with a PC architecture and a nice video card.

n0cmonkey

Elite Member
Jun 10, 2001
Originally posted by: mjolnir2k
It's all well and good until you get to the line that lists the price...Sweet Jesus! That's a whole bunch of Chingoes!

As long as you are not a slave to benchmarks or commercial software packages the price is comparable to x86 based laptops. The high-end stuff is more expensive though, thats why Im personally looking at the 12" version ;)

Not a huge fan of the Apple architecture as I don't do any video editing

Neither do I, but I like variety. :)

boutique guys like Alien or Falcon)

I find that funny. :p

I would love to have one of those 17" jobbers with a PC architecture and a nice video card.

Whats wrong with the video card? I thought nVidia was the way to go... Shows how much I know about this stuff :p

Eug

Lifer
Mar 11, 2000
The new Fujitsu 60 GB and the new Toshiba 4200 60 GB both are faster (at least for sequential writes) than the old IBM 60H 5400 rpm drive, and use less power of course.

The newer drives have insanely high densities, but of course have higher latency. The cache is 2 MB on all three. If you truly want faster speed though you need to buy something like an IBM 40 GB GNX with 8 MB cache.

No PCMCIA? Yeah I figured. I may just have to keep my 15". Has both PCMCIA and DVI, and of course the faster video card (which uses probably less power), more max memory, and faster CPU. 5.4 lbs though, and definitely more bulky than my previous 12" iBook.

I still say a 13" AlBook would be ideal.

I wouldn't touch the 17" with a 10 foot pole. FAR too big for a laptop. Even my 15" is a bit bulky for me, and it's the smallest 15" desktop replacement in the world.

By the way, X windows for OS X is now out too, along with Safari (brushed metal internet browser). Apple's browser is faster than IE 5.2 on the Mac. Not quite as fast as Chimera I don't think but it's nicer, with integrated Google. iLife (Multimedia suite) will be out soon, and includes updated versions of iDVD, iPhoto, iTunes, and iMovie.

Also, Final Cut Express will be coming out. That bridges the mid-end gap between iMovie 3 and Final Cut Pro.

Also:Little-Known New PowerBook Facts

Here are some hard-to-find interesting details about the new
PowerBooks:

The 17" model's speaker is under the left speaker grille, instead of on
the upper casing.
The 12" model has two stereo speakers and a "midrange enhancing third
speaker.
According to Apple's tech specs, the 12 and 17" keyboards have one more
key than the 15" model's keyboard.
The new AirPort card can only be added to the 12 and 17" PowerBooks.
You cannot add the "802.11g" card to existing AirPort ready macs
because the slot does not have the necessary bandwidth. Check out the
new card for AirPort. It's no longer in a PC Card-type form factor.
The AirPort Extreme base station has a USB port for USB printer sharing
among wireless clients. It also has a port for connecting an external
antenna, which is new. Dr. Bott is already offering an omnidirectional
antenna compatible with 802.11g.
The 17" PowerBook uses new "Lithium Prismatic" batteries, which is a
traditional lithium ion battery cell in a square shape. The 12" machine
continues to use round cells in a square overall enclosure.

Strangely enough though, the fastest card (Radeon 9000) is in the TiBook 15" family.

Eug

Lifer
Mar 11, 2000
More news about the new Airport Extreme base station (US$250):

"There?s more: if you want to have a private network and would like to
limit its range to a conference room for security reasons, there?s an
easy way. The AirPort Extreme Admin Utility software to increase or
decrease the power level through the internal antenna, and thus control
the range of the base station. Need to turn off computer-to-computer
networking or make the network invisible? You can do either of those
things in an instant, using the Admin Utility software."

The AirPort Extreme Card is about half the size of a standard business
card (smaller than the previous AirPort Card), and costs just $99.

Base Station Modem+Broadband edition comes with a USB port for printer
sharing
, a 56K V.90 modem and a range-extending external antenna
connector, for just $249.

n0cmonkey

Elite Member
Jun 10, 2001
The new Fujitsu 60 GB and the new Toshiba 4200 60 GB both are faster (at least for sequential writes) than the old IBM 60H 5400 rpm drive, and use less power of course.

Interresting... Good to know. It wasnt a big complaint, just a small one. THe battery life is a great thing to know, I hadnt even thought about it.

The newer drives have insanely high densities, but of course have higher latency. The cache is 2 MB on all three. If you truly want faster speed though you need to buy something like an IBM 40 GB GNX with 8 MB cache.

No PCMCIA? Yeah I figured.

The 17" has a PCMCIA slot, but only for Type II cards (which means nothing to me since I have never looked into it).

I may just have to keep my 15". Has both PCMCIA and DVI, and of course the faster video card (which uses probably less power), more max memory, and faster CPU. 5.4 lbs though, and definitely more bulky than my previous 12" iBook.

I really dont care much about the power (speed) of the system, as long as it is usable. I want portability. After I finish reading Shadow Puppets I am going to need something to do on the train and my PDA isnt that interresting. With an AlBook I can load OpenBSD on my iBook and have a great selection with either. Heck, I could bring both with me if I got the 12" AlBook since I dont have to carry them far.

I still say a 13" AlBook would be ideal.

The 12" looks good enough for me. My comments werent all that big of a problem for me, not enough to keep me from buying it anyhow. Im just picky ;)

I wouldn't touch the 17" with a 10 foot pole. FAR too big for a laptop. Even my 15" is a bit bulky for me, and it's the smallest 15" desktop replacement in the world.

This is part of Apple's "Year of the Laptop" strategy. They are probably shying away from the desktops and focusing on the laptops. In order to really do that, you need a real desktop replacement. The 17" looks like that piece of the puzzle.

By the way, X windows for OS X is now out too,

Darwin X11 or whatever it was called was fine for me, but this is looking nice. One of these days Ill get a new Mac or upgrade to 10.2 so I can get some of the newer software.

along with Safari (brushed metal internet browser). Apple's browser is faster than IE 5.2 on the Mac. Not quite as fast as Chimera I don't think but it's nicer, with integrated Google.

Its using the KHTML engine instead of gecko, so its pretty interresting.

Strangely enough though, the fastest card (Radeon 9000) is in the TiBook 15" family.

I wonder what the power consumption difference is between the two...

Erasmus-X

Platinum Member
Oct 11, 1999
overall though, apple really does a nice job on design, i just wish they'd change their architechture and start using pc chips

Well, that would just go against their whole design philosophy. OS X was never designed for the x86 architecture in mind, and you also have to remember what people really buy an Apple for. It's certainly not for gaming, and still a lot of Anandtechers pass that off as a weakness. I own both platforms (an Athlon XP 1700+ and an older G3 300 MHz tower), and each have merits of their own. I use my PC for gaming and MP3 encoding mostly, but the Mac for almost everything else. My Mac is quite a bit slower than my PC, but its interface is far more pleasant. For music and Internet, it's great. There are minor quirks in the Mac OS desktop that are just not emulated by Windows.

Most of what I do anymore (especially on the road) has nothing remotely to do with gaming, so I'm thinking that my next machine is going to be a G4 Powerbook. Though it can cost a bit more, it just makes a little more sense to me.

Barnaby W. Füi

Elite Member
Aug 14, 2001
so you guys watch the keynote? it was fun, but personally i was disappointed. safari doesnt have tabs, i'd rather see g4's go into ibooks rather than the 12" powerbook - and the 17" powerbook, well, i doubt i'll be buying it anytime soon :)

i find the metal look of the current powerbooks ugly anyways. i like the ibook look alot more.

BlakkIce

Golden Member
Jun 29, 2001
thats seriously tempting the price isnt that bad with all that technology built in

MrBond

Diamond Member
Feb 5, 2000
The 17" has a PCMCIA slot, but only for Type II cards (which means nothing to me since I have never looked into it).
That just means its the standard pcmcia card form factor, ie, the thin cards you're used to. I believe TypeIII are twice as thick as Type II (think that Zircom pcmcia card with the actual ports on the card).

So basicly, there's one pcmcia card slot on the AlBook.

12" seems so small now, I just went to a 14" screen from a 12" one, personally, I don't think I can go back :)

So was anything else announced at macworld? A Video ipod perhaps? Archos has done it already, and apparently, it works well.

Coherence

Jul 26, 2002
Add $1k or more to the price of the 12" model if you want it "fully loaded". Ouch.

Still, they do look nice.