New amd gpu with absurd noise

psygnosis

Jan 30, 2015
Sorry if I write again!
A week ago after I listen to your advice I've bought an R7 265 dual x
I have my case at 35/40cm from my ear.
While in gaming the noise it's terrible high (50% fan speed with a noise of 60db)
I can refund that gpu to come back to a single fan solution. Do u think its a good reason to change?
I know I will lose performance but really guys yesterday while playing inquisition I hear the noise with all my Logitech surround headphones
Thank you very much

3DVagabond

Lifer
Aug 10, 2009
You must have a defective card. I have the same card and it's not any louder than my case fans. Even when it does ramp up all I hear is the sound of the air moving. No other noises, rattles, whines, etc...

psygnosis

Jan 30, 2015
when I bought that card the description said "lite version"...that mean something? (but there is any "lite" word on the package).

btw so u think that I have to change it?

cause I thought to refund it and take a 750ti with a single fan. or buy an Arctic Cooling Mono plus...

BTW i dont have overdrive active and the fan speed is about 50% when playing inquisition at 87-95% load (data taken from performance monitor in amd catalyst)

BSim500

Golden Member
Jun 5, 2013
I can refund that gpu to come back to a single fan solution.
Single fans often spin faster and end up louder than 2x fans in order to achieve the same airflow. What brand is your card? Asus & MSI tend to have the quietest coolers and most sensible default fan curves. Same goes with 750 Ti's some brands (eg, EVGA SC) have silly 42% min fan speeds (which stay at 42% even under load). The MSI Twin Frozr cooler may be large, but it is by far the best out there for lowest possible noise & temps.

Whether or not you refund it depends on what you paid for it (including the cost of fitting an AC Mono Plus). Personally I'm happy to pay a premium for blissful silence, especially if it's that close to you (presumably your case is on top of a desk instead of underneath it)? Depending on your temperature, you could try tweaking the fan curve in MSI Afterburner. Personally I'd change it though rather than put up with that.

psygnosis

Jan 30, 2015
Single fans often spin faster and end up louder than 2x fans in order to achieve the same airflow. What brand is your card?
Sapphire R7 265 Dual-x

Whether or not you refund it depends on what you paid for it
I've paid it 123€ (90£ or 133$)

especially if it's that close to you (presumably your case is on top of a desk instead of underneath it)?
half way between the top and the floor...
Depending on your temperature, you could try tweaking the fan curve in MSI Afterburner.
Also if my card is branded Sapphire?
Personally I'd change it though rather than put up with that.
So do u think its better to spend some money in a good cooling, system, are you? Or change the card? the alternative is the Zotac 750 ti, so less performance and I hope that the single large fan of Zotac is quiter than the 2 sapphire...
OR like 3DVagabond said: mine is failty.

Last edited:

BSim500

Golden Member
Jun 5, 2013
Also if my card is branded Sapphire?

So do u think its better to spend some money in a good cooling system, are you?
MSI Afterburner often works with other non-MSI cards. If it's noisy but you have low temperatures under load, then you may be able to force the fans to run a little slower (keep an eye on the temperature though).

Edit : Or you could use Sapphire Trixx.

BSim500

Golden Member
Jun 5, 2013
What target temps I have to consider? in gaming and at idle?
Some people run them nearer 80c or so. Personally I like to keep them under 70c. Idle temps are usually under 30-40c anyway on most cards.

Oh you didn't answer me if it happend to you, you change the entire card or the cooling ():)
If that happened to me, honestly I'd change the card. The Arctic Cooling stuff is surprisingly expensive where I live for some reason. But it really depends on what else you can get for your money, what your budget is, etc. Personally, I've always been something of a silent PC enthusiast and am quite happy to pay a premium for the coolest / quietest components, etc.

psygnosis

Jan 30, 2015
. Personally, I've always been something of a silent PC enthusiast and am quite happy to pay a premium for the coolest / quietest components, etc.

Where I live an Arctic Cooling Mono Plus cost 33€ (nearly 35$ or 24£)...

Do you think that the lower performance of an 750 ti are so noticeable? 'cause the r7 265 branded MSI or Asus cost too much... =(
I dont want to buy something that from here to next year is s*it...
I use my 7750 for nearly 3 year and I could continue to play with it (Inquisition at High setting was playable at 30fps)

Headfoot

Diamond Member
Feb 28, 2008
It sounds like something is wrong with your fan, it shouldnt be that loud at 50% fan speed.

Stuka87

Diamond Member
Dec 10, 2010
What kind of case is it in? Does the case have good airflow?

If your case has inadequate airflow, it doesn't matter what card you use, it will run the fans at a high speed. Sapphire is pretty good about not overspeeding the fans.

What temps are you seeing for the GPU, and also the CPU?

RussianSensation

Elite Member
Sep 5, 2003
1. Before you return the card, just download MSI Afterburner and set a Custom Fan Curve. In the custom fan curve, set the fan speed at 20-25% from 0C to 60C, then slowly ramp up the fan speed to 35% at 65C, 37% fan speed at 70C and 40% at 75C, then 45% at 80C and 50% at 85C. Try this out and make adjustments accordingly. Sooner or later you will realize that you can lower or raise the fan % depending on the temperatures and find an acceptable noise level. I find that setting up a custom fan curve generally results in a very large reduction in noise levels of all my videocards, especially up to 65C light gaming loads.

2. If this doesn't work, return the card. I am amazed you even got an R7 265 as it's a terrible value because R9 270/270X sell for not much more $ ($20-40 more) and are miles faster.

How much does an R9 270X cost in your country because it's often very close to a 750Ti in price but it 43-48% faster. Alternatively, R9 270 is 30-36% faster.
http://www.computerbase.de/2015-03/...est/4/#diagramm-rating-1920-1080-4xssaa-16xaf

I think to begin with you were given bad advice to buy the R7 265 over the R9 270.

Last edited:

Stuka87

Diamond Member
Dec 10, 2010
1. Before you return the card, just download MSI Afterburner and set a Custom Fan Curve. In the custom fan curve, set the fan speed at 20-25% from 0C to 60C, then slowly ramp up the fan speed to 35% at 65C, 37% fan speed at 70C and 40% at 75C, then 45% at 80C and 50% at 85C. Try this out and make adjustments accordingly. Sooner or later you will realize that you can lower or raise the fan % depending on the temperatures and find an acceptable noise level. I find that setting up a custom fan curve generally results in a very large reduction in noise levels of all my videocards, especially up to 65C light gaming loads.

2. If this doesn't work, return the card. I am amazed you even got an R7 265 as it's a terrible value because R9 270/270X sell for not much more $ ($20-40 more) and are miles faster.

How much does an R9 270X cost in your country because it's often very close to a 750Ti in price but it 43-48% faster. Alternatively, R9 270 is 30-36% faster.
http://www.computerbase.de/2015-03/...est/4/#diagramm-rating-1920-1080-4xssaa-16xaf

I think to begin with you were given bad advice to buy the R7 265 over the R9 270.

When he asked for advice he had already bought the 265, but was wondering if he should have gotten a 750Ti instead. An R7 270 would have been a better purchase.

psygnosis

Jan 30, 2015
Ok guys here I am after a day of searching and test...

The noise come from: ........................................ the PSU

the GPU make a noise like a buzz I don't know if it's normal but its barely udible.so The problem now is that:
Or
1. My PSU fan broke in the same time I mount the new video card -.-
Or
2. the R7 265 absorbe more power than the 7750 and so the PSU produce mor heat. more heat = more fan RPM and while gaming the fan explode!

If I open the case the noise is slightly better but always terribile.

Now, what do u think I can do?
* buy some 12" fan and put in my Enermax NAXN 450W?
* buy a new PSU (but in that case its not worth I try to save money for video card and then I have to buy a new psu???)
* refund the R7 265 and take the Zotec 750ti maybe the low power consumpion could make my PSU run better...
What kind of case is it in? Does the case have good airflow?
http://www.techpowerup.com/gallery/2982/1.jpg
http://www.techpowerup.com/gallery/2982/2_0_547.jpg
http://i01.i.aliimg.com/photo/v0/111...chilles_RD.jpg
not my pic but it looks the same

What temps are you seeing for the GPU
idle 25 degree
full load 60/65 degree

RussianSensation its thanks to Afterburner that I found out that the problem is likely the PSU

Stuka87

Diamond Member
Dec 10, 2010
You can replace just the fan in the PSU. But it is possible a 450W is not enough. Not sure on the rest of your system specs.

A 750Ti uses about 5W less power than a R7 265 at idle, and 20-40W less at load depending on the game. So not a huge difference. Your PSU would most likely have issues with either if it is the cause.

RussianSensation

Elite Member
Sep 5, 2003
1. My PSU fan broke in the same time I mount the new video card -.-

If your PSU's fan broke than changing to a lower power videocard is unlikely to resolve your issue. Do you have any warranty left on that PSU? What size fan does your PSU have, 120mm? Do you have a spare you can test out? You have to be very careful if you are going to open that PSU as it can still shock you even when it's turned off.

shady28

Platinum Member
Apr 11, 2004
It's extremely unlikely there is anything wrong with your PSU, esp if it does not make noise except during heavy duty gaming that pushes your card. It's probably operating at 70 - 90% of its limit. Yes it works but stressing any components to near their limits for extended periods will cause things like this.

A "stocker" 750Ti with no 6-pin would almost certainly "fix" the problem as during gaming it draws about 60% of the power of the R7 265. Probably draws less than your old 7750.

Another solution would be to replace the PSU with a 600W variety, and return the R7 265 and get a R9 270 as they are about the same price. Naturally this will be a lot more expensive than the 750Ti solution.