New 5700XT...now what?

aleader

Oct 28, 2013
Just received my Sapphire Pulse card. First AMD card since my Ati X1650 Pro. Plugged it in, new windows install on new MSI Gaming Plus B550 MB, installed the newest adrenaline software, everything seems to be working. The fans on the card haven't moved yet, but I haven't pushed it either.

I like to always run afterburner when I put a new card in, even more so with this one. I see that there is a program built in to the Adrenaline software for OSD monitoring, but it doesn't show CPU temp, which I'd like to see as I temporarily put the stock AMD fan on (to see if it actually works) and shelved my CM Hyper 212 RGB. I'm planning to get another CPU whenever they're available and give my 3600 to my son.

Can I use Afterburner, or is there a way to add CPU temp to the AMD software? I've read several posts all over that say it has issues with AMD cards, but none are very recent. Also, is the performance monitoring in the adrenaline software now accurate? Several posts about that out there too. I really like the adrenaline software so far...

Should I undervolt this card? I've never had to do that with Nvidia, but it seems to be a thing with AMD?

DAPUNISHER

Super Moderator CPU Forum Mod and Elite Member
Super Moderator
Aug 22, 2001
Just use afterburner, the AMD drivers have matured quite a bit. Hence, it works fine on the 5000 series now.

And yes, undervolting on AMD cards is almost mandatory. :D There are a million guides for it.

Last edited:

aleader

Oct 28, 2013
Just use afterburner, the AMD drivers have matured quite a bit. Hence, it works fine on the 5000 series now.

And yes, undervolting on AMD cards is almost mandatory. :D There are a million guides for it.

So far so good. No issues at all, everything is running right where I would expect it to. The card is quiet, and I can now use DX 12 in the Division 2, which I couldn't do with an Nvidia card. My final test is hooking up my 11.6" monitor with my Cougar MFD's attached in DCS to see if the whole 'multi-monitor' issues have been resolved.

I've used Afterburner now and the AMD version and they both give me the same readings, so I'll just stick with the AMD one, unless I start having issues. I've logged a few files with GPU-Z while running MS Flight Sim and DCS and see that the max junction temp I'm hitting is 87C at 1495RPM fan speed (avg is about 1100RPM).

The GPU temp never gets over 75C (avg 65C), power max is 195W. This roughly matches the GN and HW Unboxed reviews for this card, although they show quite a bit higher power draw. I have tested it on 10+ other games as well, these are just the most demanding of the bunch.

This is at 1440p, high settings on those games. Is it necessary then to 'undervolt' or change the fan speeds with these results? Would I just use the adrenaline software for this? I don't want to start messing with things if I don't have to, unless there is a large benefit?

EDIT: After looking around a bit I see that this card (not sure about others) maybe shipped with poor settings a year ago. I see users reporting 2200RPM fan speeds and junction temps over 100C. They have successfully undervolted (a year ago) to get the fan speeds below 1500, and temps below 100C. Seems the default settings now achieve that, so I wonder if it's even necessary now?

Last edited: