• "a" as in bad

• "a" as in father

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Terzo

Platinum Member
Dec 13, 2005
How do you pronounce the first a? Apparently the correct way is "a" as in "bad" but I've always said "a" as in father. I hear some people get real riled up about saying it the right way.

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001
Nebada with each a pronounced as in father would be the proper Spanish pronunciation. However, modern usage is Navada with the first and last a pronounced as in father and the middle a as in bad. Also drag out the middle a so Navaaada to get the proper trailer trash intonation.

destrekor

Lifer
Nov 18, 2005
Nebada with each a pronounced as in father would be the proper Spanish pronunciation. However, modern usage is Navada with the first and last a pronounced as in father and the middle a as in bad. Also drag out the middle a so Navaaada to get the proper trailer trash intonation.

I dunno - I pronounce it Nevada, like Nebada (ne-Bah-dah, or like the sound of the O sound in bother). Slight emphasis on the va part. I think the way some people learn word pronunciation (partly to fault of any accent), the way we roll the pronunciation of the eva part, the e get morphed a little to sound like whatever is following the V as well. Because I've heard a lot of the expected E part, with proper sound, at least around NW Ohio - the default "accent" of the US, the accent of the national media. :D

Though we do have an old street named Nevada, though locals pronounce it Ne-vay-dah. We might have the Polish history of the town to thank for that though.

Aluvus

Platinum Member
Apr 27, 2006
I met some people from Nevada years ago, and they were insistent that it should be like the 'a' in 'bad', so I try to pronounce it that way. But I've always thought it sounded a bit wrong.

coldmeat

Diamond Member
Jul 10, 2007
Never heard anyone pronounce it as "father", at least not in real life.

Status
Not open for further replies.