Networking Win7 MCE

marcplante

Mar 17, 2005
I am in the process of setting up a cord-cut household. I have installed an HD antenna and HDHomerun and have a solid selection of channels. We have a series of Win7 computers around the house that are capable of catching and rendering TV or netflix.

I am trying to coordinate recording and playback of TV programs with Win MCE. I would rather have one PC on to do recording duty, then pull from that PC as a server from other Windows MCE boxes around the house. Is it complicated to point the "Recorded Video" libraries on player PCs around the house to the remote PC? Everything is connected by Cat5, so there are no BW issues moving the video around the house.

Thanks,

Dirigible

Diamond Member
Apr 26, 2006
It's very easy. So easy, even I had no problem.

My w7 computers are all in a home group. Dunno if it matters, but they are. I selected sharing a bunch of stuff from my recording computer. The others found the recordings no problem.

notposting

Diamond Member
Jul 22, 2005
I never really had any problems with waking from sleep in that regard. Only problem with sleep I have ran into is the display not working afterwards. I was going to suggest Homegroup as well, but I use a Windows Home Server which probably changes the equation a bit. But Homegroup sees everything on our 4 different W7 PC's no problem.