Networking Q: Allocating bandwidth from a single internet connection, to multiple users / routers?

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
Just wondering if anyone has done this.

I'm looking at possibly allocating fixed-bandwidth "chunks", to multiple users, from one connection. The idea is that each user, would get their own (DD-WRT? Tomato?) router, to use wifi with their own devices, while connecting "upstream" to a "master" WiFi connection / router.

Of course, the bandwidth allocation SHOULD be done on the "master" router, such that individual users wouldn't be able to "hack" the allocations, and take more than they are allocated.

Likewise, the "slave" routers allocated to each user, should be password-protected, such that the ONLY means to access the "master" router is via the "slave" router. (The users would not actually get access to the "master" router's wifi password, nor their "slave" router's password. The "slave" routers would come pre-configured with their own SSID and provided password combo, for "local" usage, as well as allowing devices plugged in via ethernet, as well as another user router.)

If it makes it easier for you to think this through, consider the users, to be roommates, with their own room in a house/apt., or something.

The idea is to provide a "fair share" to everyone that needs access, without allowing any one user to monopolize the connection, as well as providing a good amount of (minimum) bandwidth to the "master" user.

---

I'm looking at routers with bandwidth limits, such as my TPLink C20i AC750 router, for the "master" router, and potentially some Linksys E2500 v1 simult. dual-band routers running Tomato for the "slave" routers. Either that, or some Netgear WNR2000 v2 routers running DD-WRT (2.4Ghz N300 only), or possibly these TrendNet AC1200 TEW-811DRU routers that will take DD-WRT. (The last option is the newest, and potentially fastest, but those routers, as I and other reviewers have found, run really, really, hot. No wonder they were on sale.)

Edit: Alternatively, I could just use more TPLink C20i AC750 routers, as they support both 2.4Ghz and 5.0Ghz "WDS" (really, wireless bridging).

Another idea, is to use a router that supports "multiple SSID", and allocate one separate SSID for each user, and then they could potentially supply their own wifi hardware to access that SSID directly, if they needed to. But that still might allow one user to share their SSID with other people, alebeit that if they did, they would be dividing their minuscule bandwidth for their SSID up.

Edit: for this exercise, none of the "users" are game console owners. Though, the solution might change if they were, and they were running games that required opening ports on the "master" router, to accommodate them.

Last edited:

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
not for business. There would be other privacy-related issues with that kind of setup, I imagine. (Multiple SSIDs, with different passwords, would probably be the solution for that.)

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002
Get meraki and create different SSIDs for each person\room. Use NAT mode on the SSID. Enable packet shaping on each SSID. Allocate total bandwidth for the SSID via packet shaping.

That way you only need one router.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
Interesting. I'll have to check out Meraki and PFSense. I might just go the PFSense route.