Question Networking P0rn

mxnerd

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2007
Someday it probably will look like this organic jungle. 😁

CablingMess.jpg

Nov 20, 2009
A link would go down, a monitoring system would get an alert, the redundant links would barely even notice :p
Yeah, but the original alarm will exist for years! NOC's just don't think enough to get it fixed, but rather just forget about for the next guy ... twenty guy iterations later and five years the alarm is still present along with ten thousand other antique alarms.

Reactions: SamirD

Scarpozzi

Lifer
Jun 13, 2000
Someday it probably will look like this organic jungle. 😁

CablingMess.jpg
I don't miss the heat buildup in those server racks with poor cable management. That's honestly the biggest advantage to having things neat and tidy is airflow and the ability to clean dust easier...but it all comes down to money. Either you have the budget to upgrade things in-place (where it's gonna be a rats nest by the time you finish) or forklift the whole rack.

Nov 20, 2009
Before the pandemic home-sided cubicle workers, I saw a slight movement from CAT-based to the desk wiring solution change over to access point to CAT to immediate fiber in the tiled ceilings. I really can appreciate it and even thought about installing it in my home but I just couldn't justify any of it. I mean, 1Ge LAN is more than I need in my home.

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004
Yeah, but the original alarm will exist for years! NOC's just don't think enough to get it fixed, but rather just forget about for the next guy ... twenty guy iterations later and five years the alarm is still present along with ten thousand other antique alarms.

yep, some noc's are like that. other operations crews are on it like flies on poo. it's noticeable how different .org's handle even the smallest blip

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004
Good solution! But I would find myself coming back after a year wondering where this one cable that's disconnected is supposed to go and panic! lol.

DC rule #1, don't touch anything except what you're there for, #2 don't panic, #3 if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004
LOL! Good rules! It explains why in another thread on another site someone was talking about a token ring mau that they still have in their DC and that no one wants to disconnect.

I hear that. Probably running someone's critical service but the guy who knows is gone.

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004
Fun, looks like it's still being built and only fitted out for infrastructure cabling so far. Power drops are up above but in front of the racks (network racks only from what i can see), wonder what type of switches will be used.

mxnerd

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2007
The link is

Code:
https://imgur.com/gallery/sZJwv7i

But actually it's an mpg video

Code:
https://i.imgur.com/9pxdLIB.mp4