Network Solutions getting sued for domain "squatting"

LuckyTaxi

Diamond Member
Dec 24, 2000
about damn time. we tried to register a domain we had searched for 2 days prior. To our amazement, someone registered it. needless to say, a few days after, it was available again.
Net sol is horrible. we yelled at the person who used netsol's whois search. :p

Vette73

Lifer
Jul 5, 2000
I typed in random keys at their site and just about everything I typed was taken at the .fm addrsss.

Try it. Juts type in random letters that select all extensions. Of course maybe they will pay to hold the fake sites they think others want. :)

Nitemare

Lifer
Feb 8, 2001
Originally posted by: Anubis
i hope they lose

ive never actually used net sol but what they are doing is definitly not cool

Could be big...

"The lawsuit, which seeks class-action status, calls for an end to the practice and unspecified damages."

jjones

Lifer
Oct 9, 2001
Good. I hope they get nailed for it because this exact thing just happened to me. I checked for domain availability on NetSol, saw it was available, so went to my regular registrar to register it and it comes up as unavailable. I didn't know wtf was going on. Went back to NetSol and they again show it as available, so I ended up buying from them just to be sure I could get the domain.

I hope it end up class action and they are forced to issue refunds to people like me. I'm sure they've made tons of money over these exact circumstances.

waggy

No Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
had it happen to me. when i was looking for a site the few i tried came up as being had.

went back later and they want you to pay them like $300 for it.

mundane

Diamond Member
Jun 7, 2002
Given the legal practice of Domain Tasting (Wikipedia), they can reserve the domain for five days without paying a cent.

(After reading the article, it appears new regulations may make the tasting less appealing)

Nitemare

Lifer
Feb 8, 2001
Originally posted by: waggy
had it happen to me. when i was looking for a site the few i tried came up as being had.

A site I want expires next month and it's sitting in godaddy's "auction site" for over 5k with no bids.. I guess I will wait.

waggy

No Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
Originally posted by: Nitemare

A site I want expires next month and it's sitting in godaddy's "auction site" for over 5k with no bids.. I guess I will wait.

wow thats insane.

Nitemare

Lifer
Feb 8, 2001
Originally posted by: Nitemare

wow thats insane.

They wanted 8k for it 4 years ago