Question Network problem, looking for an answer please

Patchski

Jan 17, 2019
Hi all,

I am trying to move from a old Windows XP machine to a Windows 7 PC.

This machine is used as a gateway from the Internet to a Intranet, so it has 2 NIC's ( both static IP's)

The Windows 7 is a fresh install, and works perfectly until I try and Clone the paramaters - IP's and Computer name. Then the Windows 7 machine will not ping. It does get to the internet and it will ping machines on either LAN OK. It is not seen by the other machines on either network.

Advanced IP Scanner finds it from other machines, but I cant ping or tracert from that software either, Even if I change to another set of IP's and Computer name, it still wont appear on the network. The only way I could get it back was to reinstall windows 7, and then all was well until I tried to clone it again, then It once again quit working. I thought it might be the APR Cache, and Ive cleared those.

Any Ideas? This one has me bewildered.

Thank You.

Joe.

JackMDS

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 25, 1999
I do not know what Clone the Network parameter means.

Changing the computer name usually can not create a problem.

Changing IPs, Gateways, and NICs assigments can create a problem if they are not compatible with the rest of the network.

Make sure that the New Win 7 while disconnected from the second Network works well with the Internet then connect the second Network to the second NIC and Bridge it as is with the second Network.

If there is a problem make sure that the WIn 7 Firewall is adjusted to the new Network settings.

XP di not really had a serious Firewall. Win 7 Native Firewall is a little better but not realy secure and flexible in setting It might be that you want to use a 3rd party Firewall on Win 7 that is easy to configure so it will safe and easy to make sure that it does not block any Network trsffic.

:cool:

Patchski

Jan 17, 2019
Thanks for the response.

By "clone" I mean to set the ip addresses / computer name / workgroup on the new machine to exactly what the old machine was, so that the attached clients would "think" it is the old machine. There is no domain controller on this network.

The new machine works perfectly until I make those changes.

I am using symantec cloud endpoint as the firewall. I'm wondering if that may have something to do with it.

Joe

mxnerd

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2007
If you are using 2 NICs and is running Windows ICS on Windows 7, and the LAN side was configured by you or by Windows itself or Symantec Endpoint as Public network, you can't ping or see anything on that Windows 7.

Another problem is that if it's Windows 7 Home edition, you can't change that network profile since Home edition does not come with Local Security Policy Editor to let you modify that.

Why not just buy a router for internet sharing?

Last edited:

Patchski

Jan 17, 2019
It's not as easy as that. This machine is used as a gateway (via a vpn) to get traffic logs (inlog) from the corporate headquarters. The logs are delivered to a directory on the gateway machine and then distributed to playout servers (on the LAN side) by software running on the gateway. Every day, each playout server builds another log file (outlog) . That is a log of what really happened and this is pushed to the Headquarters via the same vpn for reconciliation. The gateway also acts as the ntp for the network. The word "gateway " is kind of a misnomer, but that's what the automation refers to it as.

Joe

mxnerd

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2007
Last edited:

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
Maybe you need to start the "Router" or "RRAS" Service, to route IP traffic between the NICs? I don't believe that comes enabled on the consumer versions of Windows, but I think at least Pro versions can enable it.

Patchski

Jan 17, 2019
OK. But you didn't answer the question. What Windows 7 edition is running on the machine? And whether its LAN side is Public?

https://www.online-tech-tips.com/windows-10/change-from-public-to-private-network-in-windows-7-8-10/

If LAN side is identified as Public, then Public profile inbound/outbound firewall rules will be applied.

You either change network profile from Public to Private/Domain or change the firewall rules.

View attachment 2552

View attachment 2553
This is great info. Ill be going in tomorrow or Monday depending on the Weather. Stay tuned, and THANKS!