Solved! Network password question

Estam

Sep 27, 2007
Hi all, have googled this question and nothing seems to work, any help please.

My Win 7 laptop doesn't like my Network password.
I have connected a printer to my main computer that uses Win 10.
Win 7 laptop when using add a printer I browse and it finds the Win 10 computer
and asks for the Network password to proceed, nothing I use works.
Any suggestions please.

Solution
Thanks for your great responses. these were the only two options under advanced sharing options.

"Change advanced sharing options" > private - network discovery=turned on - file and printer sharing=turned on.
After setting this up I still couldn't use password.

Under "all networks" checked the last box that mentioned "turn off password protected sharing.
At least now it doesn't ask for password.

I googled the error message and found this site: https://www.technipages.com/how-to-fix-windows-printer-error-0x0000011b
I read and went through their options and what worked was the last item that refers to the registry change. DWORD-32 bit Value.

I can now access my printer from my laptop. (i'm not going...

Estam

Sep 27, 2007
If your referring to the four digit pin, yes I have..
I have never set up any network passwords on this computer so I'm a bit baffled.
All I'm trying to do is share a printer.

In2Photos

Golden Member
Mar 21, 2007
Did you try the PC password for the Windows 10 PC? Not sure the 4 digit pin will work in this case.

When you say "network password" I take that as the WiFi password. When you access another PC over the network you are typically asked to provide credentials for the PC, so you need the username and password for the computer.

How old is the printer? Is it USB only? Most newer printers have some networking capability so you don't need to share it from another PC, you access it directly.

Estam

Sep 27, 2007
Thank for your reply.
The only password I use for the Win10 is the four digit pin. There are no other network passwords set up except for the wifi which I have tried.
The printer is a hp laserjet usb which was connected to my old XP machine and was shared for years and my laptop could print from it with no problem.
No network password was required that I remember from the Win7 laptop when I added the printer and browsed for the printer.

In2Photos

Golden Member
Mar 21, 2007
OK, if you do not use a password then try to connect using just your username. If that doesn't work then I suggest adding a password and trying again.

Fallen Kell

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
Yeah, that box is asking you for your username/password for the other computer. See the smaller text "Enter your password to connect to: DESKTOP-ASAC8CN". You need to use the correct username and password as well. The automatic username "DAVID\Estam" that it is showing is most likely your username on the system you are currently using (with the hostname or NTdomain being "DAVID", and the username "Estam"), which is not the correct name on the remote system "DESKTOP-ASAC8CN" that you are trying to connect into. You will need to click on the "user another account" and use the username as it is known on the other machine (which if you don't know, you can get after logging into it and running the "netplwiz" utility from the start menu (just search for it in the search box)), and it will probably be either something like "DESKTOP-ASAC8CN\Estam" or just "Estam" (assuming "Estam" is the username on that system as well).

aigomorla

CPU, Cases&Cooling Mod PC Gaming Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
well problem is if the w10 PC is not set to private network, and sharing is disabled.
Then no matter what he types in that box even with the correct password it will not connect.

You need to go on the W10 PC and see if its on private network, and not public.
Then you need to set sharing on so it can share your printer.

Lastly, you need to make sure you have an offline account setup with password, otherwise i have no clue if you can even use your windows live password to access a remote share like that.

Reactions: Estam and mxnerd

Estam

Sep 27, 2007
Thanks for your great responses. these were the only two options under advanced sharing options.

"Change advanced sharing options" > private - network discovery=turned on - file and printer sharing=turned on.
After setting this up I still couldn't use password.

Under "all networks" checked the last box that mentioned "turn off password protected sharing.
At least now it doesn't ask for password.

I googled the error message and found this site: https://www.technipages.com/how-to-fix-windows-printer-error-0x0000011b
I read and went through their options and what worked was the last item that refers to the registry change. DWORD-32 bit Value.

I can now access my printer from my laptop. (i'm not going to ask why, lol)

Many thanks for your help.

Solution