Question Network not recognized in BIOS

lopri

Elite Member
Jul 27, 2002
The motherboard is Gigabyte B660M Aorus Pro AX DDR4. BIOS is the latest (F20) with 13th gen CPU support. The network controller is enabled but its connection is not recognized. (In BIOS, it says "Link Status Disconnected") I tried different cables, different ports on the switch, but the same result. The RJ-45 port in the back of the board does light up and even blinks when I turn the system on, as if there is data transfer going on.

This is the second one of the same board. I returned the first one for this reason, thinking maybe the port was defective. But now that I have the same exact issue, I am at a loss. Please help.

Note that I cannot try different BIOS because I have a 13700K and this latest BIOS is the only one that supports this CPU. I am quite aggravated at the time wasted and thinking about giving up the whole build.

Tech Junky

Diamond Member
Jan 27, 2022
@lopri

The only time you need network connectivity in the BIOS/UEFI is to download the firmware updates. Otherwise you just download them from the OS to a USB and flash from the USB.

Now, on the other hand I've run into a port not working in the OS w/o needing to make a workaround to get it working. This is a quick command or two to fix and then forget though.

It's always a better idea thought o download the file from an OS vs from the automated option in the "BIOS" screen. You can make sure it's the right file and a stable internet connection w/ OS verification of the file reduces the chances of it corrupting the system and bricking the board.

mxnerd

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2007
The motherboard got INTEL 2.5Gbps LAN chip.

Probably this? Can't believe the bug still persist after 2 years I guess since the chip was released?

OP might need another PC to download the file.

It's a LAN chip issue, not motherboard issue.

Last edited:
Reactions: lopri

lopri

Elite Member
Jul 27, 2002
Thx all for the reply. The NIC doesn't work in the OS, either. As a matter of fact I could not even complete Win 11 installation until I attached the Wi-Fi antenna

lopri

Elite Member
Jul 27, 2002
But if I remember correctly Windows able to see the network controller in device manager. I will check again later when I get back home

Tech Junky

Diamond Member
Jan 27, 2022
Thx all for the reply. The NIC doesn't work in the OS, either. As a matter of fact I could not even complete Win 11 installation until I attached the Wi-Fi antenna
Using home edition?

Pro doesn't require a network connection during setup.

Before returning the board test it with a Linux USB boot and see if the port comes up. Then it's a driver issue with Windows that should be able to be resolved. Otherwise look at ASRock as an option as they have good mix of tech for the same or lower price.

I use the z690 steel legend and with a UEFI update it will work with the RPL CPU. Lately they've been having sales for $140.

lopri

Elite Member
Jul 27, 2002
The problem is exactly the one identified in Intel support article. I will try the fix as soon as I get home and report back. Thank you.

lopri

Elite Member
Jul 27, 2002
Not yet. I should have applied fix while Wi-Fi was working but instead I decided to reinstall Windows 11, and now it doesn’t see Wi-Fi. Trying to figure out a workaround.

lopri

Elite Member
Jul 27, 2002
I now have a functional LAN in Win11. I had to dig out a RJ45-to-USB adapter to complete Win11 installation, but after a few reboots I got in, then using ASUS provided firmware tool to flash the NIC. Reboot, then uninstalled existing drivers from Device Manager. Proceeded to install the latest drivers from Gigabyte, and now I have functional LAN and Wi-Fi. Thank you everyone for help, especially to @mxnerd for identifying the issue with surgical precision!

Some concerns, though: BIOS still shows "Link State Disconnected," which confuses me. How can something not work in BIOS but work in the OS? Do I have to go through this for any new OS installation (including other OS than Win11) on this system?

And even after the successful ethernet fix, I see bluetooth still messed up in Device manager, along with 2 other unknown/trouble devices. Not as urgent as the network but I would like to fix these issues as well.

I cannot believe that Intel has become this incompetent.

Attachments

• DeviceManager.png
    DeviceManager.png
    45.3 KB · Views: 8

lopri

Elite Member
Jul 27, 2002
Can you guys further help me out with bluetooth and the other unknown devices? :)

One of the unknown devices have following information per Device Manager.

Code:
Device ACPI\INTC1056\2&daba3ff&0 requires further installation

The other one has a similar message as well. I do not remember whether these were there before the network fix.

mxnerd

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2007
Last edited: