Network help please

Charland

Nov 10, 2017
I started with the "Wifi issues start here" sticky. That didn't help me at all and my hours of internet searches have proved fruitless. I'm looking for some help to resolve my connection issue. I know zero about this stuff and don't even know where to start. I'll start by telling what I know and if someone would be kind enough to help I can add more details if I'm told what to look for. Our internet connection has gotten awful over the past 3-4 months. There haven't been any changes to anything. It started out as an intermittent issue and now its constant. The speed and signal strength have both declined drastically. I can't load more than one browser tab at a time now and sometimes even one is a chore. It feels like the connection is "hanging up" for lack of a better way to describe it. You can see the loading icon spinning but it will just sit there until it decides to load. It's not even a consistent slow connection, it's just random, intermittent and just slow overall. We have dsl through tds with built in wifi on the modem. Our turbo is advertised as 6-15 Mb/s, we're getting 2 roughly from all the speed tests I've done. Like I said, I know nothing about this stuff but I did a speed test. I'm getting about 2-2.5 Mb/s and the ping test is all over the place. From what I looked up I did a ping test through cmd and its been anywhere from 100's to 1000's. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

KillerBee

Golden Member
Jul 2, 2010
Does your modem (what model is it ?) have ports on the back to plug a computer in directly so you can test the download speeds?

KillerBee

Golden Member
Jul 2, 2010
It seems more of an upstream problem then. Did you call your ISP - what did they say?

Charland

Nov 10, 2017
It seems more of an upstream problem then. Did you call your ISP - what did they say?

Meaning it's not likely on my end, like a bad modem or something? I'll have the wife call them and find out. Thanks for the replies.