Network devices not visible on LAN but WiFi ok

Perryg114

Jan 22, 2001
I am trying to get my Win 7 Dell Laptop to connect to my network using the Ethernet port instead of WiFi to download some movies etc off the server. I have internet access and can see a couple other Win 7 computers but most of my computers are not visible and my Window Home Server that I want to get to won't connect. I have the connector software on the laptop but I can't log in that way either. I turned off the firewall and it still won't see the server. I would think that with Ethernet, I would have less problems.

Perry

Perryg114

Jan 22, 2001
Ok well it eventually found all the other stuff on the network but now nothing on the network can see the laptop.

Perry

serpretetsky

Jan 7, 2012
1) Is this a single networking device ? (is the device that is giving you wifi the same as the device giving you ethernet ports?)

2) Are you just going regular windows sharing? If so, when you connected the ethernet did you select "home" network? You can find out by going -> control panel -> network and sharing. Your "active network" should be listed there, along with the comment on whether it's public, work, or home.

Perryg114

Jan 22, 2001
I have all my computers setup on a work network. I have the same settings on the WiFi as I have on the LAN. The LAN and the WiFi are on the same computer but I have the WiFi disabled so it will use the LAN connection which is much faster than the WiFi. I get internet connectivity but I see no network devices at all. I am wanting to do some photo editing through the network and transferring large amounts of data back and forth so the LAN is the way to go. I have enabled all the sharing options that I usually enable and it still won't see anything on the network. I also tried to setup as home network and it won't work that way either. I had it setup as a work network because I had XP computers I was trying to access.

Perry

Mushkins

Golden Member
Feb 11, 2013
Sounds like your Wifi is not configured to be the same network as your wired. Open command prompt and run an ipconfig /all when *only* connected to the wireless and again *only* connected via wired and post the results.

Perryg114

Jan 22, 2001
It is working now but it seems to take a long time for it to map all the devices on the network. I have experienced this before. Why such a long lag in mapping the devices and computers on the network? It is hard to tell if you got the configuration right if it takes an hour or so for things to happen.

Perry