Network connection drops after reboot

thefish8

Apr 17, 2001
Just going to get right into it, I have cable modem, Linksys WRT54GL router and Vista OS. Upon reboot I have to diagnose the network and disable/enable the network component, find IP address or reboot again and eventually the network connects. I have other computers using the same network (wireless and wired) with no issues. Once it eventually gets connected, I have no problems unless I reboot or disable/enable the device.

Things I've tried:
differenct ports
different cables
new network cards
reseting the router to factory settings
Configuring IP address manually

I have not tried directly connecting the PC to the cable modem, that will be next, I may also just purchase a new router to test that. Am I missing something here, is there a setting perhaps? I am new to Vista as well but I've played with most of the network's settings. Could it also be a weak connection? I'm really not even sure where the problem lies (OS, NIC, router or ISP) and because of this it is difficult to google for a solution... Plus I get the run around with customer support, each pointing to another component as a potential issue.

Any advice will be most apprecaited.

mpilchfamily

Diamond Member
Jun 11, 2007
Check for updates for your NIC. Chances are its just a driver issue. If that doesn't help then there may be a problem with the NIC. As you mentioned the router is fine since the other systems are not having a roblem with it.

mpilchfamily

Diamond Member
Jun 11, 2007
The try updating the motherboard drivers. Other then that it has to be some sort of computability issue with the NICs/router and Vista.