Network card problem

thefish8

Apr 17, 2001
I have 3 desktops, 2 of which can get a network connection, one cannot for some strange reason. When I plug in the network cable it shows network unplugged toggling and retrying to connect. I beleive it is failing when trying to establish an IP.

Things I've tested in order:

Installed a network card from another functioning desktop and it worked
Tried a new network card on another functioning machine and got the netowrk unplugged error
Spent an hour with linksys support and they said to get a new network card
Tried this with 3 different new network cards and got the same results

It should not be a problem with the router or PC since I've proven that both can work. Any other suggestions would be very helpful.

robisbell

Banned
Oct 27, 2007
okay, trying to make sense of what you wrote.

Motherboard Manufacturer and Model:
BIOS Revision Number:
CPU/Speed:
RAM Manufacturer/Type/Model:
CDRW/CDROM/DVD Manufacturer and Model:
Hard Disk Drive(s): Manufacturer and Model:
NIC Manufacturer/Model:
Power Supply Brand and Wattage:
Operating System:
Anything else you think is relevant:

thefish8

Apr 17, 2001
I'm not certain why the specs are needed. It is an older machine, maybe 3 years. I had an ethernet card on it orignally, I took that card and put it on another machine. Like I said I can take the original card and put it back in this machine and get a netowrk connection. Not sure why I can't with a new card...

I did try a really old card that had a max of 10 mbps which worked but really slow for obvious reasons.

Basically, what could cause the system to not establish an ip? It's not a router issue (no security settings, and I've even tried another router), it's not the PC hardware (some cards work, some don't). A network card should pretty much be plug and play, I must be misconfiguring something somewhere...

Sidenote - On another desktop it has an NIC on the motherboard (ASUS) that gets the same problem.

robisbell

Banned
Oct 27, 2007
well, when you can get the info requested, we can try to help you. but without the info, we can't help you.

and if another pc has the issue, it's either your router, cables, or systems that are the problem, that's a guess without more detailed information.

thefish8

Apr 17, 2001
Originally posted by: robisbell
well, when you can get the info requested, we can try to help you. but without the info, we can't help you.

and if another pc has the issue, it's either your router, cables, or systems that are the problem, that's a guess without more detailed information.

When you can logically explain why the CDRW/CDROM/DVD will have an impact on the network I will glady retreive that info.

Router - Linksys D
NIC's have been Netgear, Linksys, Trendnet, and some older models that I don't know who makes them
OS - XP (fresh install)

It's not the router, other machines that are connected to it work
It's not the cable, have tested it with other ports/systems
It's not the PC hardware, it has worked in the past

robisbell

Banned
Oct 27, 2007
that was not called for, I tried to help but you kept refusing to give me the info needed. I needed the info since you stated the problem is with more than one machine.

thefish8

Apr 17, 2001
Originally posted by: thefish8
I have 3 desktops, 2 of which can get a network connection, one cannot for some strange reason.

1 machine, read the first line. This is purely a network configuration problem. Asking for something like the CPU speed is irrelevant.

btcomm1

Sep 7, 2006
So 2 computers work, 1 computer will not work even if you use different network cards? I would say maybe reinstall your windows then, make sure to back up before you do it.

thefish8

Apr 17, 2001
Well I had this problem prior, did a new windows install and still get the same problem. Thanks for the suggestion btcomm1 but I did this already. I've uninstalled the drivers each time I've tried a new NIC so nothing is conflicting too.

thefish8

Apr 17, 2001
Originally posted by: thefish8
Well I had this problem prior, did a new windows install and still get the same problem. Thanks for the suggestion btcomm1 but I did this already. I've uninstalled the drivers each time I've tried a new NIC so nothing is conflicting too.

Something important that I forgot to mention was that I've tried the new NIC's on PC's that work and I get the same problem. So it's got to be something with these NIC's.

mrblotto

Golden Member
Jul 7, 2007
perhaps there is an IRQ or memory address conflict? Does the NIC show up as OK in device mangler....errr...Device Manager?

thefish8

Apr 17, 2001
Originally posted by: mrblotto
perhaps there is an IRQ or memory address conflict? Does the NIC show up as OK in device mangler....errr...Device Manager?

Yes, the hardware shows up as OK in device manager and when you click on network properties.

mrblotto

Golden Member
Jul 7, 2007
Hmmmmm....thats a noodle scratcher there. One card bad I can see, but not 3 new ones!

-Try putting NIC into a different PCI slot?
-Change the driver for either an updated one (if available), or maybe even a downlevel one?
-Is there some sort of linksys-provided diagnostic utility available?
-Is the NIC compatible with your OS?
-What would really be good is to create a network boot disk. It can be a pain in the butt, but at least it would eliminate everything software related (meaning OS), cause it only uses info from the boot floppy or CD to test conectivity. But, like I said, it can be a pain to create one......

Edit: what kind/brand of NIC's are they anyhow?

thefish8

Apr 17, 2001
-I've tried different PCI slots.
-I didn't see some sort of diagnstic for this.
-NIC should be compatable, tried 10/100 netgear, linksys, trendnet.

Someone else suggested doing the boot disk method, however I haven't gotten around to it yet for obvious reasons stated.

bruceb

Diamond Member
Aug 20, 2004
Did the one pc that can't see the network work ok recently ? ?

Perhaps, try a System Restore to a date when it did work.

Perhaps, its a windows update that is causing all your problems.

Did you check the Firewall settings on the bad PC and compare it to
one that works OK ? ?

On the one PC that does not work, check the MoBo Chipset drivers
are all installed and no ? marks in Device Manager

Try running the WinsockXP Fix on the bad computer.

It could be a Virus in the system ..... run a good Antivirus and Trojan Hunter
and Spyware program in safe mode .. see what they find. Clear all your Temp
Files and Prefetch Files

Did you check the settings for the NIC Card on the bad pc and compare to to
one that works OK ? ?

boomerang

Lifer
Jun 19, 2000
Any chance that with every test you're using the same port on the router? A bad port?

thefish8

Apr 17, 2001
This is a fresh install, there was nothing on the pc. I did pull a working NIC out of another pc, put it in the system in question and did get a network connection.

I also tried another port.

Soundmanred

Lifer
Oct 26, 2006
What kind of carpet is in the room your computer is in?
Do you have a dog? If so, please post what kind and color.
If you do not wish to provide us with that info, then you are on your own.
GOOD DAY TO YOU!

thefish8

Apr 17, 2001
Originally posted by: Soundmanred
GOOD DAY TO YOU!

LMAO!! ;)

mrblotto

Golden Member
Jul 7, 2007
Originally posted by: Soundmanred
GOOD DAY TO YOU!

LOL!