Netgear Super G 108 Mbps Wireless Router $52.74 at amazon

yougotdeals

Golden Member
May 2, 2004
Netgear WGT624 Super G 108 Mbps Wireless Router

$74.74 - $25 mail in rebate = $54.74

108 Mbps with Super G Technology (when used with Netgear WG511T PC Card)
Smart Wizard gets you up and running in fewer than 5 clicks
Over 10 security and privacy features including Double Firewall (SPI & NAT)
802.11g standard compliance; interoperable with existing 802.11b and 802.11g networks
Compatible with Windows 98, Me, NT, 2000, XP, Mac OS, NetWare, UNIX, or Linux

Link

TheGizmo

Diamond Member
Dec 31, 2000
is this router better than the dlink 624? has anyone used both... just wonderin

mra

Feb 24, 2002
Originally posted by: yougotdeals
The dlink 624 does a max of 54mbps while this netgear does a max of 108mbps

Only with netgear wireless adapters it should be noted.

BadNewsBears

Diamond Member
Dec 14, 2000
Originally posted by: mra
Originally posted by: yougotdeals
The dlink 624 does a max of 54mbps while this netgear does a max of 108mbps

Only with netgear wireless adapters it should be noted.

Not to mention it blows everything away as far as range and thoroughput goes.
Edit
(the netgear)

Devistater

Diamond Member
Sep 9, 2001
Throughput is never max. Generally its about 50% of quoted max. So on a normal 54mb G network expect around 20-30mbps. There was some recent test comparision that tested G, GS, super G and showed how much they all got. I think the highest result was around 45-50mbps sustained.
http://www.tomsnetworking.com/Reviews-142-ProdID-WRT54GS-1.php
Look at the performance numbers both for normal g networks then afterburner compared to super g. Basically in most cases (this $52 router is exception) its not worth paying the extra money to upgrade routers and all cards to super g or gs. If you are that desperate for throughput for copying files (remember, typical internet access is only 1.5-3mbps and far below max of even 802.11b networks) you need to plug it in. Basically file copy across network is only thing you'd need for that fast access. Cheaper to go gigabit in that case probably, you can get a gigabit switch for like $100 or so, and gigabit intel cards for I think around $30ish.

BTW, most of the cons on the review of that wrt54gs can be fixed with 3rd party firmware (linksys released source code for thier wrt54g and wrt54gs and a couple other routers). Like throughput vs distance, the sveasoft firmware can increase transmission power from default of 25mw to 84mw (and possibly beyond in a future version). Better firewall/port rules is included, and I believe there's better wireless monitoring although I havne't checked it out. I belive it can also be used as bridge or repeater if I'm not mistaken. But I havent looked into that part. Anyway, I'm dang happy with the $40 I paid for the wrt54g router.

yougotdeals

Golden Member
May 2, 2004
Originally posted by: Devistater
Throughput is never max. Generally its about 50% of quoted max. So on a normal 54mb G network expect around 20-30mbps. There was some recent test comparision that tested G, GS, super G and showed how much they all got. I think the highest result was around 45-50mbps sustained.
http://www.tomsnetworking.com/Reviews-142-ProdID-WRT54GS-1.php
Look at the performance numbers both for normal g networks then afterburner compared to super g. Basically in most cases (this $52 router is exception) its not worth paying the extra money to upgrade routers and all cards to super g or gs. If you are that desperate for throughput for copying files (remember, typical internet access is only 1.5-3mbps and far below max of even 802.11b networks) you need to plug it in. Basically file copy across network is only thing you'd need for that fast access. Cheaper to go gigabit in that case probably, you can get a gigabit switch for like $100 or so, and gigabit intel cards for I think around $30ish.

BTW, most of the cons on the review of that wrt54gs can be fixed with 3rd party firmware (linksys released source code for thier wrt54g and wrt54gs and a couple other routers). Like throughput vs distance, the sveasoft firmware can increase transmission power from default of 25mw to 84mw (and possibly beyond in a future version). Better firewall/port rules is included, and I believe there's better wireless monitoring although I havne't checked it out. I belive it can also be used as bridge or repeater if I'm not mistaken. But I havent looked into that part. Anyway, I'm dang happy with the $40 I paid for the wrt54g router.

Thanks for the article!