Netflix

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

nageov3t

Lifer
Feb 18, 2004
I really enjoy netflix.

usually takes a day between the day I drop it in the mail and when they get it, and another day to get back to me.

I've never had a problem with throttling, and I find their selection to be pretty good. the only times I haven't been able to find something is typically when something hasn't been released yet.

I had a patch last summer where I got a few damaged discs in a row, but that was the last time I got a damage disc.

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000
Originally posted by: gamepad
How much of a problem is faulty DVDs with Netflix?

its not usually too bad. for awhile i was getting discs that would skip a bit in the middle.
i had one that came broken in half, and maybe 2 or 3 that would skip a huge part or wasn't playable after awhile. i had one Dirty Harry movie a few days ago that got part way through and then just went to all static on me. it was really weird.

ultimatebob

Lifer
Jul 1, 2001
Netflix is pretty good! Great selection of DVD's, quick shipping, and reasonable prices.

I average a 4 day turnaround time for getting new DVD's, which usually works like this:

Day 1) I send the old DVD back to their processing facility about 30 miles away
Day 2) They receive it, and I get an e-mail saying so
Day 3) They send out the new DVD
Day 4) I get the new DVD

Their movie selection for online movie watching is still a bit slim, though.

One piece of advice... Get a GOOD DVD player! Cheap DVD players will choke on scratched DVD's, and I average about 1 scratched DVD from Netflix a month. My new DVD player doesn't have any problem with them, though.

Miramonti

Lifer
Aug 26, 2000
I get 8-9 movies a month on the one-at-a-time plan because the distribution center is local. Been at it for about 4? months or so, great experience.

I also like that I get an email notification when the receive the return, which gives me a chance to change my queue if I want before the next one is processed that afternoon.

cKGunslinger

Lifer
Nov 29, 1999
The secret is to get the 3 at a time plan for the first 20-50 movies you *really* want to see, then cut back to the 1 or 2 plan to save some money.

TheAdvocate

Platinum Member
Mar 7, 2005
I've been on the 3/mo plan for almost 6 mos. I've had 1 scratched movie that made me skip an entire scene in a movie, and one rental of movie A actually had movie B (both on my list) in the sleeve. I probably average 7 movies/mo.

I'm a little upset that I dont appear to be receiving the $1 price drop on the 3/mo plan that they just advertised. Im probably going to drop my plan down to 2/mo.

TheUnk

Golden Member
Jun 24, 2005
I wish Netflix did games too. Turn around time and overall service from GameFly and GameRang have been horrible. I've gone 2 weeks without a game before, and when you pay monthly that is terrible service.

ravana

Platinum Member
Jul 18, 2002
In the past 2 years I've had about 10 bad discs, but that's mostly the broken in shipping kind and 1 or 2 scratched.

RadiclDreamer

Diamond Member
Aug 8, 2004
I've been a member for about 5 years now, throttled only once (slightly and very temp) when the wife was unemployed. Love the price, love hte selection. Cracked discs...maybe 4 in 5 years and it was balls cold outside so thats not their fault.

Online viewing is nice if you like b horror movies like i do

0roo0roo

No Lifer
Sep 21, 2002
i love it.
dvds arent worth really buying anymore..walking dead format.
your g/f will need 3 at a time if she blows through movies
you need to get over the idea you will get this weeks newest release right away ...stack your queue with classics/indi films/documentaries/foreign films/oscar nominee/winners/tv shows/and all the good movies you've missed and just let it surprise ya.

i do push up the films i want most on the queue manually so they are first choice. i get those new releases within a few weeks of release, sometimes on the first week.

Eeezee

Diamond Member
Jul 23, 2005
Originally posted by: MikeyIs4Dcats
I've been a member for going on 4 years. Never been throttled, despite some stretches where I've given them every reason to. Love it. I have the 3 out plan.

Are you sure?

If you watch a movie and send it back the day you get it, does it take more than 2-3 days for you to get a new one? When I was using Netflix I could only get a batch of movies once a week because they took forever to receive and send a new batch.

Nov 5, 2001
Originally posted by: Eeezee
Originally posted by: MikeyIs4Dcats
I've been a member for going on 4 years. Never been throttled, despite some stretches where I've given them every reason to. Love it. I have the 3 out plan.

Are you sure?

If you watch a movie and send it back the day you get it, does it take more than 2-3 days for you to get a new one? When I was using Netflix I could only get a batch of movies once a week because they took forever to receive and send a new batch.

generally I go in cycles like sthis:

Monday - return movie
Tuesday AM - email of receipt
Tuesday PM - email of sent movie
Wednesday/Thurday - movie arrives

If I have time and watch a movie on Wednesday night after getting it, it will be mailed back Thursday, and I will have a new movie on Monday.

Tobolo

Diamond Member
Aug 17, 2005
Originally posted by: DainBramaged
I like Netflix for shipping fast. Mind you, I had a two out at a time subscription and I'd go through four movies a week so I never got throttled. However, I now have Blockbuster. This is sweet. Basically, I have the three movies out plan. I returned all three Sunday evening at Blockbuster and took three more movies home. I'm now expecting three movies on Tuesday, also. This is why Blockbuster's plan rules.

The problem with Blockbuster's plan is that they are limiting how many (to 3 a month I think) that you can trade in at the store. Which is no big deal, because when has blockbuster EVER had a new movie when you went to look for it?

2Dead

Feb 19, 2005
I've rented a couple hundred moves through Netflix and I love it as well. I usually got through 3 movies a week so I don't get throttled. Send them back on Monday and get the new ones Wednesday or Thursday. The only times I've received broken disks is when the mailman trys to stuff the dvds with magazines and regular mail in a mailbox that will barely fit the dvds on by themselves. I have received movies that I couldn't watch because of skips, etc. but that was only a handful over a few hundred movies.

xSauronx

Lifer
Jul 14, 2000
Originally posted by: amish
i love netflix.

pros
good selection of movies
cost isn't bad
turnaround time when they recognize they have a movie from you is good

cons
throttling. they receive a movie from you and sometimes don't log it for 3+ days.

ive never once experienced that and ive been a customer for a couple of years or better

however, they do high-demand movies at "very long wait" status sometimes. i go through 2-3 dvds a week on the 3 at a time plan.

im very happy with them. love the selection and the service. its rare im even interested in a new release or something with a high demand, so that never bothered me

rudder

Lifer
Nov 9, 2000
If there is a blockbuster convenient to you that is the best service. You can drop off your DVDs at the store and it is recorded as if you jsut mailed them back. You can then get some new DVDs right away.

Casawi

Platinum Member
Oct 31, 2004
The only reason I canceled it is because I didn't watch enough movies... then I switch to Blockbuster because you can running into the store and pick a movie sometimes. I think it all depends on the user.