Netflix gift subscriptions

sciencewhiz

Diamond Member
Jun 30, 2000
I'm thinking about getting a gift subscription to Netflix for someone. If I get them a gift for the 1 movie at a time, do they have the option of paying the difference and getting a higher priced plan?

I tried reading the terms and conditions, but it wasn't really clear to me.

mugs

Lifer
Apr 29, 2003
When I upgraded from 3 out to 5 out, the first month of the upgrade was "free" (that is, I didn't have to pay the difference). Not sure if that is still the case or if it applies to the lower plans.

Edit: Of course that information would only be helpful if you're talking about a one month gift subscription.

And by "first month of the upgrade" I mean the remainder of the billing month. It is (or was) advantageous to upgrade at the beginning of the billing month.

This was ~4 years ago.

sciencewhiz

Diamond Member
Jun 30, 2000
Originally posted by: Flammable
cheap ass 1 DVD??

The person that I would be buying for doesn't watch very many movies, but now has more free time. I view this as a chance to get them used to netflix. I don't want to get them a 1 dvd plan for a year if they can't upgrade once they get hooked, but at the same point, I don't want to get a shorter plan that costs more if they won't use it.

Skeeedunt

Platinum Member
Oct 7, 2005
You could always do 3/month for a few months instead of 1/month for a year. People tend to splurge in the beginning and then get bored and downgrade, so that might give them a better feel for what they're going to use.

cKGunslinger

Lifer
Nov 29, 1999
It would be pretty damn stupid of them to lock in a customer at one plan without any option of upgrading, don't you think?