Nero Pricing

Skotty

Dec 29, 2006
I'd like to get a new copy of Nero. But when I looked at their website, they only thing they were offering was Nero 7 Ultra Edition for $100. So I was thinking of just finding a DVD burner that comes with Nero, which will only cost me about $35, then throwing away the DVD drive.

Anyone know what of value might come with Nero 7 Ultra that doesn't come with Nero copies packaged with DVD drives?

MustISO

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Depends on what you're going to use it for. I only use nero for burning CD's and DVD's (occasionally) so the basic package is all I need.

ForumMaster

Diamond Member
Feb 24, 2005
because they can? people buy it and they are the most popular application due to mass uasage cause it's bundled with almost all computer.

Schadenfroh

Elite Member
Mar 8, 2003
Deep Burner Free Edition should handle most of your burning needs. Audacity should be able to take care of your music editing needs. CDex should be able to handle your batch music conversion and ripping needs. DVDFab Decrypter Free Edition should be able to handle your DVD / HD-DVD / BluRay ripping / backup needs. IMGBURN is my favorite for burning just ISO images. Alcohol 52% should be able to handle your DRM laced game DVD / CD imaging needs in addition to your virtual drive mounting needs.

all for free and with no bloat!

Evander

Golden Member
Jun 18, 2001
Originally posted by: Schadenfroh
Deep Burner Free Edition should handle most of your burning needs. Audacity should be able to take care of your music editing needs. CDex should be able to handle your batch music conversion and ripping needs. DVDFab Decrypter Free Edition should be able to handle your DVD / HD-DVD / BluRay ripping / backup needs. IMGBURN is my favorite for burning just ISO images. Alcohol 52% should be able to handle your DRM laced game DVD / CD imaging needs in addition to your virtual drive mounting needs.

all for free and with no bloat!

I think current versions of Nero have video encoding abilities- you didn't mention any in this list but I've heard a freeware called SUPER is supposed to be quite good

Schadenfroh

Elite Member
Mar 8, 2003
Originally posted by: Evander
<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: Schadenfroh

all for free and with no bloat!</end quote></div>

I think current versions of Nero have video encoding abilities- you didn't mention any in this list but I've heard a freeware called SUPER is supposed to be quite good

AVI.NET and VirtualDub might be worth a look as well.

bruceb

Diamond Member
Aug 20, 2004
A lot of the drives are bundled with an OEM version of Nero ... And they usually have all the features
most people need / want. However, I do know that if you buy a Sony Drive that comes with Nero,
that Nero checks the Make of the Drive and if it doesn't match, it will not install. I know, I tried it.
But you can work around that, if you know what file to look at and what to change so it does not
do the check.

bruceb

Diamond Member
Aug 20, 2004
Mine came with a Sony Drive .. and my pc that drive is in has Nero 6 on it
I will not upgrade to Nero 7 ... too gaudy, too much of a program space hog
As to paying for it, if you buy it Retail, it says right on the box, it has lifetime
free upgrades. So to me that means that if you update it and the license code
didn't work, Nero would provide a code for the new versions.

Ryland

Platinum Member
Aug 9, 2001
Originally posted by: bruceb
As to paying for it, if you buy it Retail, it says right on the box, it has lifetime
free upgrades.

Does it say lifetime free updates or upgrades?

bramdo

May 15, 2007
Hi,

there are several traders which offer the complete version for nero 7 on ebay.com in a legal digital download at bargain prices.
Look at the feedback and you will find one,
Bramdo

bruceb

Diamond Member
Aug 20, 2004
I am not 100% certain which way it was worded on the box.
As I was not looking to buy at that time, I did not check the
exact details. I think it said lifetime free upgrades, but I am
not sure. Check it at your local software seller such as Staples
or Office Depot

Navid

Diamond Member
Jul 26, 2004
Usually, you get free "updates". But, you have to pay for an "upgrade.

Is there something new/different with Nero in that respect?

bruceb

Diamond Member
Aug 20, 2004
You may be correct ... next time I am in a store that carries it
I will look at the retail box again. Some programs, such as
Winrar, ClipCache Plus, DVDFAB do give free upgrades to
persons that have a paid for code and are registered. In most
cases your old code will work. If you need a new one, ,you email
and they verify the purchase and send the new code.

Boztech

May 12, 2004
Originally posted by: Skotty
I'd like to get a new copy of Nero. But when I looked at their website, they only thing they were offering was Nero 7 Ultra Edition for $100. So I was thinking of just finding a DVD burner that comes with Nero, which will only cost me about $35, then throwing away the DVD drive.

Anyone know what of value might come with Nero 7 Ultra that doesn't come with Nero copies packaged with DVD drives?

why the hell would you just "throw away" a brand new DVD-RW drive??

Civic2oo1x

Jan 29, 2002
I will confirm what the other user posted, some OEM drives that ship with a OEM version of Nero will not install if it's a different drive it will not install. Also you get to update it, but only within the version.

In the past I had a retail copy of Nero 6. It updated all the way to 6.9... but when version 7 came out, I was SOL.

aCynic2

Apr 28, 2007
Originally posted by: tw1164
I don't think you get the 5.1 speaker support in nero recode.

This is from the product desc:

Covert from 5.1 Dolby Digital Surround into space-saving 5.1 Nero Digital? audio format

I'm not sure if this is what you're referring to or not.