Nehalem built on MAX PC

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

dmens

Platinum Member
Mar 18, 2005
Originally posted by: bryanW1995
@aigo and dmens: at least you guys get stuff from the winning team. I'm gonna guess that most amd guys (at least on the cpu side) aren't too excited right now...

what? i dont get shit. i just work a lot.

magreen

Golden Member
Dec 27, 2006
Originally posted by: dmens
@aigo and dmens: at least you guys get stuff from the winning team. I'm gonna guess that most amd guys (at least on the cpu side) aren't too excited right now...

That sounds so romantic!
rose.gif

:p

Phynaz

Lifer
Mar 13, 2006
Originally posted by: dmens

Are you saying you have not personaly touched/seen/run a Neha system?

If not, then maybe you need to be an Intel customer instead of an Intel employee :)

taltamir

Lifer
Mar 21, 2004
Originally posted by: aigomorla
so does that make them a demigod?

i thought common mortals couldnt possibly have a neha rig.

the opposite of a common mortal is richy rich, not a demigod. The requirement for nehalem? lots and lots of "spare money". (no that isn't an oxymoron, some people really DO have spare money)

OCGuy

Lifer
Jul 12, 2000
Originally posted by: taltamir

the opposite of a common mortal is richy rich, not a demigod. The requirement for nehalem? lots and lots of "spare money". (no that isn't an oxymoron, some people really DO have spare money)

With the leaked tray price of a 2.66ghz Bloomfield, and falling DDR3 prices, it wont be that expensive (I guess that is relative). If you had to start a system from scratch, and dont already have monitor/HDD/GPU/OS then I can see that getting pricey.

Markfw

Moderator Emeritus, Elite Member
May 16, 2002

Yup, unfortunately I do....

But as was said, they won't be that bad soon.....

aigomorla

CPU, Cases&Cooling Mod PC Gaming Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005

if your running neha right now most likely you didnt buy it tho. :X

2 big parts are on loan.

Hugh H

Jul 11, 2008
Originally posted by: 13Gigatons
what was the price of the 2.66 suppose to cost?

Most reports have it @ approximately $284.00... so likely it will be just under $300.00

faxon

Platinum Member
May 23, 2008
if you're buying a bloomfield and using the stock hsf then you need to have your head examined. drop $50 or so on a tuniq v2.0 or noctua 2.0 or whatever.

since my post didnt get my point across the first time, my concern is that because of the current base dimensions of coolers made for amd and intel CPUs, and the fact that the nehalems use a bigger chip, the new coolers wont fit on the new and bigger socket. i already have an OCZ Vendetta 2 as i already stated, which i personally would love to just carry over to my next machine until i can get an OCZ Cryo-Z or something equally insane. so, given that the stock cooler blocks a DIMM slot, i hope they work on that in case people want to use the stock cooler until they can figure out a new solution.

aigomorla

CPU, Cases&Cooling Mod PC Gaming Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
Originally posted by: faxon
OCZ Cryo-Z or something equally insane. so, given that the stock cooler blocks a DIMM slot, i hope they work on that in case people want to use the stock cooler until they can figure out a new solution.

LOL...

you have no idea how much crap tony has been getting on XS for that unit.

I wouldnt hold your breathe on it. In fact if you truely want to jump to phase get a custom builder to make you one. As for the cryo-z, i expect it almost as much as i am looking at the hydrojet.

which maybe close to never.

Most likely i will gut it if the block is that good and connect a massive radiator along with a good pump to it.

taltamir

Lifer
Mar 21, 2004
Originally posted by: Hugh H
Originally posted by: 13Gigatons
what was the price of the 2.66 suppose to cost?

Most reports have it @ approximately $284.00... so likely it will be just under $300.00

284$ per chip if you buy a 1000 chip tray.
if you buy a lot more then 1000 units from intel then it could go lower, but even then, they are looking to make a profit as well. so i expect it will be some time before we see them for 284$

Idontcare

Elite Member
Oct 10, 1999
In fact if you truely want to jump to phase get a custom builder to make you one.

Asetek Vapochill Lightspeed does a pretty darn good job out of the box.

The only folks I've seen reporting their dislikes of the units are the folks who derive a revenue stream from modding them or building custom units at 2x-3x the cost. My stock unit holds my Kentsfield B3 QX6700 at 4GHz and 1.6V on small FFT's...that's got to be pretty close to 300W load right there.

Sure I could probably go another 10% higher in clocks were my vapoLS modded, but the bottom line is stock vaporphase units are viable and aren't the total crap they get talked down to be over on XS where conflict of interest is ridiculously rampant and obvious.

284$ per chip if you buy a 1000 chip tray.
if you buy a lot more then 1000 units from intel then it could go lower, but even then, they are looking to make a profit as well. so i expect it will be some time before we see them for 284$

Well we know the lower-end priced SKU is engineered to put an upper-end cap on AMD's SKU's...and this is accomplished by simply publicizing the price-point of the lower-end Nehalem SKU.

It's not accomplished by actually making them available for purchase, going that extra distance is nice but unnecessary. I will be 100% surprised to see the lowest priced Nehalem SKU (the fabled $284 2.66GHz SKU) actually available and in stock for months and months after its release.