Need Wireless card/router for streaming internet from one house to another

SithSolo1

Diamond Member
Mar 19, 2001
My grandmother owns two homes on adjacent lots in a small southern town. One currently has cable with internet in the kitchen on the far right of the house. The other house is to the left of the first and has no cable runs(was built in the early 40s). My brother is going to school near there so he will be moving into the older house but wants internet(no tv) so we're trying to figure out a way to send it from one house to another.

Distance is somewhere between 150-180ft.
Signal has to travel through 7 walls, 5 interior and 2 exterior brick.
Internet is mostly used for online gaming and streaming video(hulu)
*Edit: Almost forgot, computer is a mid-tower Intel system running windows XP Pro 32bit.

No preference on branding, just need something that is stable, quick, and not super expensive.

Time to buy is within the next two weeks.

Thanks,
J

Arcanedeath

Platinum Member
Jan 29, 2000
For those distances through so many walls you would be better off running a cable, even if its only to get from one house to the other and you go wireless from there. or at least go wired to the closest point between the 2 houses and use access points / routers in bridge mode to connect the 2 houses you may need some directional antena's as well.

spidey07

No Lifer
Aug 4, 2000
I'd also raise the point that if these are two separate households/addresses, even if the same owner, it's a violation of the terms of service from the ISP.