Need to secure washer & dryer from neighbors. Do they make key locked ones?

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Ghiddy, Jun 27, 2011.

1. BoomerD

BoomerD Lifer

See if the landlord will let you build a small (8x8) room in the basement around the laundry area.

That's going to be your best/easiest way to deal with this. Put good locks on the door and give your landlord a key. (since it's his building, you'll have to do that)

2. thedarkwolf

thedarkwolf Diamond Member

building rooms and shit come on man. If you are that worried about voiding a warranty or something on a new washer/dryer just buy a used set off craigslist for $100-200 and drill away. Then even if they do screw with it you aren't out much.

3. SparkyJJO

SparkyJJO Lifer

1. Use the voltlock when not in use.
    2. Stand guard with a shotgun in hand when in use.
    3. ?????
    4. Profit.

4. MichaelD

MichaelD Lifer

The over-complication to solve problems that people go through when they are living in an apartment/sharing living space never ceases to amaze me! Here's your solution:

MOVE_THE_HELL_OUT and rent a house or apartment on your own!! It's not that difficult. It's always like this:

I'm renting a room in a 2 bedroom house. The backyard is 1 square mile in size. I park my compact car to the left of the back door. My roommate parks his compact car to the right of the back door. He always splashes mud on my car!!! OMG, what should I do???"

How about this: Park your car ANYWHERE ELSE in that 1 square mile of space?

The OP deserves to have his washer and all the clothes inside, stolen. WHY? A version of Darwinism, that's why. If you're so stupid that you would live somewhere where you actually have to consider keeping your washer/dryer "in a bubble", then you deserve whatever daily BS comes your way.

I'll put this another way: You will spend $232.01 per month in repairs/new parts/fees/taxes/penatlies just to keep your washer running and secure from your (now really pissed off) white trash neighbors. Take half that money, add it to your rent, and LIVE SOMEWHERE BETTER. DUH.

Why is it so difficult for young people to comprehend? Anywhere you're sharing rent/sharing common areas=college student trailer trash living accomodations.

5. Via

Via Diamond Member

Go to the guy and say:

"I'm putting in a washer and dryer, and if you don't want to chip in for the cost I'd prefer you not use it"

and go from there.

6. SparkyJJO

SparkyJJO Lifer

You take ATOT way too seriously.

7. Ghiddy

Ghiddy Senior member

Is this a troll post or what? There is so much here that is inaccurate that I'm not going to bother delving into all of it, other than to say the following:

(1) OMG! I put a lock on my washing machine! THE WHOLE SITUATION IS NOW TERRIBLY OVER COMPLICATED!! HOW WILL I COPE? HOW WILL I EVER MANAGE TO TURN THE KEY EVERY TIME I WANT TO USE THE UNIT??

(2) I never pondered putting anything in a bubble. I posted looking to put a lock on it. Others suggested encasing the units, which is retarded.

(3) You know nothing about my situation, where I live, and why I live there. Your rants about moving to a house are completely irrelevant.

(4) I live in an apartment, and the washer & dryer will go into the basement of the building. It's pretty common in this city for tenants to have shared access to a basement. The building I live in, the neighbors, and the neighborhood, none of those would remotely qualify as white trashy. Your rants about shared access areas are inaccurate and don't apply to this thread. Same as your asinine example of roommates parking their cars next to each other.

Further:

How about I just tell the other tenant not to use my equipment, and preemptively put a lock in place to make sure he doesn't, and go on with my life? Oh wait, that was exactly the point of my OP.

I'm confident that I won't have to deal with "sabotage", and in the unlikely case that I do, I have no problem resolving that in appropriate manner. Other posters here are the ones who are over complicating things in terms of bringing up fringe what-if's.

Every thread on ATOT has a totally clueless poster who rails on the OP for no reason. In this thread that poster is MichaelD. Congrats.

MichaelD, I posted asking for a way to lock my washer and dryer, and you came into the thread, made a bunch of invalid assumptions, and ranted like a batshit old man about how I should move into a house and that my neighbors are poor white trash. Get a grip, man. Find a better way to pass your time.

8. Ghiddy

Ghiddy Senior member

Nominating MichaelD for the first official ATOT Sandy Vagina of the Year award.

9. esun

esun Platinum Member

I think a tightly wrapped lock and chain would do it. Maybe even a flexible bike lock (doubtful he'd cut it, and you'd know if he did). Otherwise, you could epoxy two loops to the machine, one on the door and one on the side adjacent to where the door opens, then put a chain/bicycle lock there.

10. Gardener

Gardener Senior member

Perhaps old, prehistoric stone coins from Easter Island. Same size as those big heads.

I really want to hear more about this landlord and his legendary wisdom.

11. 0roo0roo

0roo0roo No Lifer

12. KLin

KLin Lifer

So what happens when the other tenant wants to hook up his own washer and dryer to use?

13. Ghiddy

Ghiddy Senior member

Kinda messed up, but the landlord said if that happened he would tell the tenant we got he space because we asked first. And if he wants to use ours he'll have to put a deposit of at least half the value of the units.

14. KLin

KLin Lifer

At least the landlord has your back. :D

15. Skitzer

Skitzer Diamond Member

This ... have you even bothered to talk to the guy?

16. rasczak

rasczak Lifer

You are better off not buying a washer and dryer. If that other tenant is as bad as the landlord says he is, then all you are asking for is a world of pain once you purchase and install it. Take the couple of hours a week to head to your local laundromat and do your laundry there.