Need to scan BIG photo

BigLar

Jun 22, 2003
In cleaning out my parent's home I came across a 20" x 30" mounted photo from 1928 of my mother. Some damage around the edges, but in very good shape.

I'd like to find a place to do a hi-res scan in one shot (that is, avoid piecing together multiple scans). Does anybody know where I can get that done?

Thanks.

arrfep

Platinum Member
Sep 7, 2006
Why are you opposed to stitching it? Scan it in four pieces, run it through any of a handful of available free stitching programs, and you're set.

Only other feasible option, I would imagine, would be to shoot it on a copy stand with a dslr.

fuzzybabybunny

Moderator<br>Digital & Video Cameras
Jan 2, 2006
You should be able to get VERY good results if you scan in pieces and then stitch them together using any decent program.

BigLar

Jun 22, 2003
I never tried a stitcher program, but it sounds like I may have missed something. Any recommendations?

corkyg

Elite Member | Peripherals
Super Moderator
Mar 4, 2000
Some things don't lend themselves to copy stands or stitching. This is a valuable 36 x 36 oil painting by deceased plein air artist, Robert Clunie. The photo was done with a DSLR of the painting where it hung on the wall. (This was for insurance purposes.)

Clunie

Many times when on trips and tours, it is useful to photograph a sign or a large map board. The DSLR does this easily.

It is an alternative for large items that can't be scanned.

996GT2

Diamond Member
Jun 23, 2005
Autopano Giga is the standard for stitching together large images. Its price is a bit steep, but it gives excellent results (we use it here at JHU Gigapixel).