Need to reenable boot SSD

Charlie98

Diamond Member
Nov 6, 2011
RE: DESK in sig below.

I cloned my OS SSD to a 2nd SSD because I wanted to update the 2nd drive with all the taboo Windows updates, and then defeat the W10 and telemetry issues with the registry edit, and services menu, respectively, while keeping my original SSD isolated in case I borked something up. Well, obviously I have...

I 'disabled' my primary SSD in Device Manager... but now I can't reenable it. The system sees it, I can open it and poke through the files, but my PC will NOT boot into it; there is no enable button anywhere that I can see in Device or Computer Management.

TheELF

Diamond Member
Dec 22, 2012
Device Manager has nothing to do with booting.
Enter your bios go to the boot tab and tell it to start from the first ssd, or just diconnect the new ssd.

Charlie98

Diamond Member
Nov 6, 2011
Device Manager has nothing to do with booting.
Enter your bios go to the boot tab and tell it to start from the first ssd, or just diconnect the new ssd.

It's already set up to boot first in the BIOS, and it skips right over it even if I manually select it. I'll pull the new drive and see if that fixes it... :|

Charlie98

Diamond Member
Nov 6, 2011
What does the drive look like in disk management?

It looks like it does any other time... showing as Disk 0 and the 2 partitions... the 2nd drive as Disk 3 with both partitions.

Jeepers, what a barrel of monkey nuts...

I guess I updated my good drive (the one I was trying to protect.) I don't know how that happened. I'm going to have to go in and redo this... :$

Charlie98

Diamond Member
Nov 6, 2011
Well... that makes sense. The reason I couldn't 'reenable' the primary SSD was because it was booting into it already. Should have figured that one out on my own...

Ketchup

Elite Member
Sep 1, 2002
Well... that makes sense. The reason I couldn't 'reenable' the primary SSD was because it was booting into it already. Should have figured that one out on my own...

It happens. Happy ending anyway!

Charlie98

Diamond Member
Nov 6, 2011
It happens. Happy ending anyway!

In the respect that I still have both my drives... yes. I'll just keep the other drive as a clone backup, and work on the primary drive.

The only thing that keeps me from just cloning the original image back is QuickBooks... which doesn't survive a clone, you have to reregister it with Peggy, which can take some time and effort. :rolleyes: