Need to move all data from 128 GB SD card to 256 GB SD card

Cristatus

Diamond Member
Oct 13, 2004
What is the fastest way to do this? Wife ran out of space on the old one.

At the moment I'm using my Surface Pro 3 with the smaller SD card inserted into it, and the newer one in the phone, but it looks like it could take over a day!

Viper GTS

Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
You are likely being limited by the performance of your SD cards. My first inclination was to suggest a fast USB 3.0 reader instead of the likely 2.0 phone but unless you have some really expensive SD cards it's not likely to make a difference.

You're likely just stuck waiting.

Viper GTS

ElFenix

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Mar 20, 2000
how are the phone and the surface connected? it almost doesn't matter as that's almost certainly the slowest method to do it. should have both in the surface.

Zaap

Diamond Member
Jun 12, 2008
My first inclination was to suggest a fast USB 3.0 reader instead of the likely 2.0 phone
Totally disagree. It should make a significant difference if whatever he's doing currently looks to be taking "over a day".

I've dealt with plenty of SD cards -and certainly not always the most expensive types- and no data transfer ever took an inordinate amount of time with a decent card reader. Even with larger capacity cards, moving 128GB to a 256 card shouldn't take more than a half hour at most (maybe an hour in an extreme case) not "over a day". (With a decent USB 3.0 card reader that is.)

Cristatus

Diamond Member
Oct 13, 2004
Totally disagree. It should make a significant difference if whatever he's doing currently looks to be taking "over a day".

I've dealt with plenty of SD cards -and certainly not always the most expensive types- and no data transfer ever took an inordinate amount of time with a decent card reader. Even with larger capacity cards, moving 128GB to a 256 card shouldn't take more than a half hour at most (maybe an hour in an extreme case) not "over a day". (With a decent USB 3.0 card reader that is.)

I've got a work laptop with a built-in SD card reader that I can borrow over the weekend, and the the new 256 GB card came with an adapter anyways, so I could at least take out the old SD card, and copy everything over, then pop in the new SD card and then copy it onto there.

Surely that's much faster, no?

Viper GTS

Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
Despite the misinformation presented here all but the very fastest micro SD cards are not going to be limited by USB 2.0, and even if they are it's only by a factor of 2-3x under absolutely ideal circumstances. In the vast majority of cases with consumer grade flash the controller/flash in the SD card itself are going to be limitations long before USB 2.0 is a problem.

That said, ElFenix is on to something - How are you connecting everything here? Use cables, make sure that everything is working at the speeds you expect.

I've got a work laptop with a built-in SD card reader that I can borrow over the weekend, and the the new 256 GB card came with an adapter anyways, so I could at least take out the old SD card, and copy everything over, then pop in the new SD card and then copy it onto there.

Surely that's much faster, no?

Maybe. Pulling the card out of the phone will eliminate potential weirdness on the data path between phone and PC and is going to give you the most pure shot at being flash limited. That's certainly the ideal way to do it if you aren't 100% confident in the performance of the phone as a reader.

For further help:

What SD cards are you using (exact models)? Are you sure they are genuine?

What reader hardware, and what interface does it use to connect? Are you sure everything is operating at the optimum speed?

What type of files are you dealing with here? Mostly I mean size, but type could give us a clue as to size eg is it a card full of movies or did you install apps to the card and it's full of tiny little application components.

Small files have lots of OS overhead and punish low grade flash and controllers. Low single digit MB/s is not uncommon at all even on mid-grade cards with moderate 50-60 MB/s sequential ratings.

Viper GTS

Last edited:

Cristatus

Diamond Member
Oct 13, 2004
In the end, the fastest solution for me was using the work laptop. Finished off everything in about 3 or 4 hours!

I'm thinking of replacing my surface as soon as I see something reasonable.