Need to invest in UPS's now...

Skillz

Feb 14, 2014
Sometimes I have to travel for work. While not often, but sometimes these trips can take weeks before I return home. Such as the trip I am on now. Down here in Miami, FL roughly 12 hours from home. Apparently I had a brief power outage earlier that took everything offline. Luckily I was able to get some stuff back online, but most of my GPU rigs are offline for a couple more weeks until I return home. Well, my Milkyway@home GPU rigs I should say. Only 1 of them came back online. For whatever reason it was the only one that powered back on, but the others did not. Not sure if I forgot to set the BIOS to resume power state in the event of power loss or what the deal was.

Sucks because I was getting really close to my 1B point goal on Milkyway@home.

So now I need to figure out battery backup solutions for my hosts so this doesn't happen again (unless its a long power outage) They're expensive though. So does anyone know of ways to get cheap battery backups for computers?

mmonnin03

Nov 7, 2006
At one point I looked around at my UPSs and all the ones no longer working were APC. The working ones were CyberPower. All 1500VA units of some sort. I picked up some batteries for a lot cheaper than new units of either kind.

Skillz

Feb 14, 2014
Buying UPSs with bad batteries and replacing them was something I was thinking about doing.

Skillz

Feb 14, 2014
I'm not sure I'd trust anyone going into my apartment with the amount of hardware I have in there.

HappyCracker

Mar 10, 2001
For what it's worth, I've had good luck with my pair of Eaton 5P units. They have holders to make them floor-standing, or versions that are more portly and would fit under desks. I figured if the large storage OEMs were using them for their arrays, they couldn't be too bad (could they?).

ericlp

Diamond Member
Dec 24, 2000

With power-hungry rigs like ours, buying ups's can get expensive, especially if you have to keep replacing them. Where you could roll your own and build one big one for all your PC's. And use some quality lithium batteries to get a long run time without degrading the battery health. I currently bought a tripp-lite UPS figured they were just as good, but. if I had 5 or so computers running I'd have built my own UPS. On the plus side, you could easily integrate solar into a system like this.

Reactions: crashtech