Need to install front license plate...any options?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

AUMM

Diamond Member
Mar 13, 2001
Originally posted by: JulesMaximus
Originally posted by: AUMM
I just got a fix-it ticket for not having my front license plate installed. If I want to get it installed the right way I would have to spend $103 to purchase the front plate bracket and then take it to the dealership to get holes drilled in my bumper....

Has anyone used some sort of double sided mounting tape for their front license plate? would it hold? If I try to take it off would it mess up my paint? Any suggestions???

:thumbsup:

What kind of car? Most cars have indentations in the front fascia where the screws for the front plate bracket go and it's pretty easy to do it yourself.

If your state requires a front license plate the dealer should have provided a bracket when you bought the car.

It's an Infiniti G35 Coupe.... I checked for indentations there are none. I bought the car 2 years ago, i don't remember if i got an extra bracket or not. Are all brackets the same? is there a reason why I need to buy a $103 bracket??

Thanks for everyones help!

mugs

Lifer
Apr 29, 2003
It's an Infiniti G35 Coupe.... I checked for indentations there are none. I bought the car 2 years ago, i don't remember if i got an extra bracket or not. Are all brackets the same? is there a reason why I need to buy a $103 bracket??

Are all bumpers the same? :confused:

$103 is a huge rip off for a simple piece of plastic. They didn't even charge us for the one for my wife's car (which was used and originally came from a state with no front plate).

JulesMaximus

No Lifer
Jul 3, 2003
I just got a fix-it ticket for not having my front license plate installed. If I want to get it installed the right way I would have to spend $103 to purchase the front plate bracket and then take it to the dealership to get holes drilled in my bumper....

Has anyone used some sort of double sided mounting tape for their front license plate? would it hold? If I try to take it off would it mess up my paint? Any suggestions???

What kind of car? Most cars have indentations in the front fascia where the screws for the front plate bracket go and it's pretty easy to do it yourself.

If your state requires a front license plate the dealer should have provided a bracket when you bought the car.

It will look cleaner than a generic bracket. Jeez, you drive a $40k car and you can't pony up $100 for a license plate bracket?

I'd call the dealership where you bought it and see if they'll give you one. Grind them a bit, complain about poor service and how the car should have had one when you bought it etc. etc. etc. They'll probably give you one just to shut you up. ;)

AUMM

Diamond Member
Mar 13, 2001

It will look cleaner than a generic bracket. Jeez, you drive a $40k car and you can't pony up $100 for a license plate bracket?

I'd call the dealership where you bought it and see if they'll give you one. Grind them a bit, complain about poor service and how the car should have had one when you bought it etc. etc. etc. They'll probably give you one just to shut you up. ;)

It's not that I can't afford $103... it just seems like such a ripoff to spend that much for a piece of plastic that I don't even want on my car....

JulesMaximus

No Lifer
Jul 3, 2003

It's not that I can't afford $103... it just seems like such a ripoff to spend that much for a piece of plastic that I don't even want on my car....

Well, of course it's a ripoff. Which is why if you bitch to the dealership they'll probably just give you one.

I never said you couldn't afford it. I was really just implying that you're cheap. :laugh::beer:

biggestmuff

Diamond Member
Mar 20, 2001

Why are you making this so difficult? Go to your local AutoZone, NAPA, PepBoys or even Wal-mart and buy a license plate frame. It'll come with screws. Center the frame and screw it into the bumper.

JulesMaximus

No Lifer
Jul 3, 2003
Originally posted by: biggestmuff

Why are you making this so difficult? Go to your local AutoZone, NAPA, PepBoys or even Wal-mart and buy a license plate frame. It'll come with screws. Center the frame and screw it into the bumper.

And it will look like shit.

Aharami

Lifer
Aug 31, 2001
Originally posted by: Aharami
I put mine on with velcro. "Velcro Extreme for rough surfaces" to be exact. Got it from Home Depot. Has sticky back - one side is regular fabric velcro, other side is made of plastic. Been holding my license plate on for 2+ yrs now. Hasnt fallen off once

I did this mainly because I didnt want to drill into my bumper

no worries about someone ripping it off?

no one has yet. i dunno why someone would steal license plates. If it's a custom plate, then I guess yea, there's something to worry about there. But if someone really wanted to steal your license plate, there is nothing you do really to stop them

AUMM

Diamond Member
Mar 13, 2001

Well, of course it's a ripoff. Which is why if you bitch to the dealership they'll probably just give you one.

I never said you couldn't afford it. I was really just implying that you're cheap. :laugh::beer:

Agreed, I definitely am cheap!
would double sided mounting tape work? or would that just be stupid/ look horrible

GundamW

Golden Member
Feb 3, 2000
I put mine on with velcro. "Velcro Extreme for rough surfaces" to be exact. Got it from Home Depot. Has sticky back - one side is regular fabric velcro, other side is made of plastic. Been holding my license plate on for 2+ yrs now. Hasnt fallen off once

I did this mainly because I didnt want to drill into my bumper

no worries about someone ripping it off?

no one has yet. i dunno why someone would steal license plates. If it's a custom plate, then I guess yea, there's something to worry about there. But if someone really wanted to steal your license plate, there is nothing you do really to stop them

Well, I had a back plate stolen while I was in class (college)
And I had my yearly sticker on the back plate stolen while I was in my apartment.
Nothing I could do. People just like to steal. :|