Need to install front license plate...any options?

AUMM

Diamond Member
Mar 13, 2001
I just got a fix-it ticket for not having my front license plate installed. If I want to get it installed the right way I would have to spend $103 to purchase the front plate bracket and then take it to the dealership to get holes drilled in my bumper....

Has anyone used some sort of double sided mounting tape for their front license plate? would it hold? If I try to take it off would it mess up my paint? Any suggestions???

:thumbsup:

Kelemvor

Lifer
May 23, 2002
We have that law too and I've never had a front license plate. I don't know why some states are so picky about that. I'd just stick ti on the dashboard since in most places that's OK and it doesn't make the front of my car look like ass.

FoBoT

No Lifer
Apr 30, 2001
fobot.com
i took two drywall screws and just screwed the thing on. but i have a saturn, so the bumper is like plastic or something

then for good measure, i used a few zip ties/cable ties and went around the bottom of the bumper (there is an air hole in the bumper) and through the plate holes

lozina

Lifer
Sep 10, 2001
Originally posted by: FoBoT
i took two drywall screws and just screwed the thing on. but i have a saturn, so the bumper is like plastic or something

then for good measure, i used a few zip ties/cable ties and went around the bottom of the bumper (there is an air hole in the bumper) and through the plate holes

you were able to screw it in without shattering or splitting that plastic shit?

are you sure you didnt drill a pilot hole first or something?

Canai

Diamond Member
Oct 4, 2006
I saw somebody's car with about 1/4 of a front plate. Just a strip across the top of the bracket was all that was left.

Wonder what they hit :laugh:

Edit: and also, in WI you can't put the plate on the dash, it has to be out front.

FoBoT

No Lifer
Apr 30, 2001
fobot.com
the plastic it is made of is fairly soft/pliable, so no, it didn't shatter, it screwed right in, easy cheesy
i used a drywall screw because it has such a course thread, no pilot hole needed

AUMM

Diamond Member
Mar 13, 2001
I'm pretty sure I'm not allowed to just have it on my front dash.... ideally I just wanted to attach it to the front and then remove it after I get the fix-it ticket signed off... this is the first time in like 4 years that i've gotten pulled over for it.

imported_Baloo

Golden Member
Feb 2, 2006
Originally posted by: lozina

you were able to screw it in without shattering or splitting that plastic shit?

are you sure you didnt drill a pilot hole first or something?

Unless you drill at like -250 degrees outside, and you are outside, the front bumber is not going to shatter of crack.

TruePaige

Diamond Member
Oct 22, 2006
What car doesn't have the place for a front license plate? Just curious.

I've never seen that.

FoBoT

No Lifer
Apr 30, 2001
fobot.com
Originally posted by: TruePaige

I've never seen that.

my car didn't because it was purchased new in Georgia, a state that doesn't require a front license plate. so the dealer didn't put a bracket thingy on the front

then when i moved to missouri, there wasn't a place to put the front plate , so i left it on the dash for four years, until i got pulled over and told to put it on or else i'd get a ticket

TruePaige

Diamond Member
Oct 22, 2006

I've never seen that.

my car didn't because it was purchased new in Georgia, a state that doesn't require a front license plate. so the dealer didn't put a bracket thingy on the front

then when i moved to missouri, there wasn't a place to put the front plate , so i left it on the dash for four years, until i got pulled over and told to put it on or else i'd get a ticket

Ohh..I've got you.

I thought those were put on from the factory, not at the dealer.

I've lived in VA and ME, and both were equipped for two plates.

Capt Caveman

Lifer
Jan 30, 2005

I've never seen that.

When I got my car, I transfered my old plate over and at the time, Massachusetts only used a single license plate. I didn't like having the big ass bracket in front and took it off.

Now, that I've moved out and back into the state, two license plates are required and I couldn't find the old bracket.

Instead of paying for a new one, I used plastic zip ties to secure it.

Aharami

Lifer
Aug 31, 2001
I put mine on with velcro. "Velcro Extreme for rough surfaces" to be exact. Got it from Home Depot. Has sticky back - one side is regular fabric velcro, other side is made of plastic. Been holding my license plate on for 2+ yrs now. Hasnt fallen off once

I did this mainly because I didnt want to drill into my bumper

AUMM

Diamond Member
Mar 13, 2001
Originally posted by: Aharami
I put mine on with velcro. "Velcro Extreme for rough surfaces" to be exact. Got it from Home Depot. Has sticky back - one side is regular fabric velcro, other side is made of plastic. Been holding my license plate on for 2+ yrs now. Hasnt fallen off once

I did this mainly because I didnt want to drill into my bumper

no worries about someone ripping it off?

mugs

Lifer
Apr 29, 2003

I've never seen that.

A lot of cars have brackets that have to be installed to accommodate a front license plate. Fortunately the one on my wife's TSX attaches without screws.

JulesMaximus

No Lifer
Jul 3, 2003
Originally posted by: AUMM
I just got a fix-it ticket for not having my front license plate installed. If I want to get it installed the right way I would have to spend $103 to purchase the front plate bracket and then take it to the dealership to get holes drilled in my bumper....

Has anyone used some sort of double sided mounting tape for their front license plate? would it hold? If I try to take it off would it mess up my paint? Any suggestions???

:thumbsup:

What kind of car? Most cars have indentations in the front fascia where the screws for the front plate bracket go and it's pretty easy to do it yourself.

If your state requires a front license plate the dealer should have provided a bracket when you bought the car.

waffleironhead

Diamond Member
Aug 10, 2005
Got to the local hardware sotre. They have a bunch of drawers with specialty screws and nuts. One of those drawers is all about attaching license plates. Items kinda like these below.

Pre-drill holes. Insert these hangers. Then attach plate with screws provided.
Done!