Need some tips for making good conversation.....

Prodigy^

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
I might need to call this girl I like (she's from the UK, met her on IRC chat) soon, and I'd like to make a good impression....have a nice, fun chat and say some meaningful things.

Now, I've been told that the key thing to getting off well with people is being honest, and being yourself, I know this and I'm not trying to get tips on how to make yourself sound better than you are, or lie about yourself. I just need some tips, maybe from you people who've been around longer than my 18 years, on "things to say". Like, if I called her the first time....what would you talk about?

Please post any tips you have on how to make good conversation (with the opposite sex, primarily), for example when you start talking on the phone the first time and later on.

I know some things about her life already, and kinda what type of person she is....but if you've got anything to say that might cover this, say it anyway, I don't know her that well. Don't even know how she looks.

Thanks a lot, I'd really appreciate it...I might loose this girl if I don't call her soon :(

hubbs

Platinum Member
Mar 26, 2000
Just talk. Girls hate it when the guy just sits there and agrees w/everything she says or just like say yeah, ok, cool. Personally I hate talking on the phone.

Prodigy^

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
I don't like it too much either (I always run out of stuff to say and mumble :p) but come on, please posts some reasonable tips please :(

UG

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
Don't burden yourself with preconceived notions of what you should say. Wait 'til you're in conversation, then decide what needs to be said.

Inter-personal communication is not a science, it's an art. Be creative, not predictive.

:)

WombatWoman

Diamond Member
Feb 19, 2000
Prodigy^, I notice that many young people seem to enjoy talking about their likes and dislikes in current music, movies, and other trends. You might mention some of your favourite songs or films, and see whether she may share your tastes. Even if she doesn't like the same things you do, at least this is something to talk about.

catseye

Jan 15, 2000
Women like to talk about themselves and enjoy the opportunity to do so, just like most men. Give her the chance. Better yet, find out about her. What does she do? Hobbies, interests? Then go look into them, do some research. You'll have plenty to talk about, and she'll be impressed that you know about what she does or likes. Have her fill in the gaps in your knowledge. Trust me, this technique works wonders. Plus you get to learn about something new. Later (much) you can tell her you studied for the date, and she'll think you are considerate or were really smitten with her. Unless, of course, you sleep with her then dis her.

megatexel

Jan 13, 2000
Please everybody don't kill me here BUT... how bout we just leave Paulson alone. ? :|

megatexel

Jan 13, 2000
Anyway

Well to help Prodigy^ out here...

hmm.. you just got out of HS right? If so you could talk about what you think of going to college and stuffs. (assuming she is same age) Talk about some funny movies. IE: Big Momma ;)

just be cool

good luck

Prodigy^

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
hehe.....actually she was in college but failed the class because she decided it wasn't something for her.....so that probably wouldn't be so smart ;) but thanks anyway :)

keep them coming! :)

jsm

Banned
Oct 11, 1999
I've noticed that people like talking about really painful things. For instance, if she has a family member that died recently, you might want to bring it up and make her laugh about it. If she doesn't laugh about it, then as long as you laugh, your mission will be complete. You might want to also ask her about her sexual preferences and belittle her if they are even slightly different than your own. Also, religion and politics are great topics that everyone has a perspective on. No matter what you believe, to start a fun and exciting conversation that you won't forget anytime soon, take the stance of a Satanic Communist. That may not be any of them, but you since you are such a pioneering young lad, she might be impressed at your ability to think outside of the box. Keep in mind that women like men who please, so be sure to impress her with your stories of promiscuity and countless and intriguingly bizarre sexual experiences during your "male performer" phase. You both will have countless laughs at how you have beat HIV and cheated death thanks to various anti-immunosupressant drugs. Also, some women like men who are strong and who have experienced adversity (it builds character!). Why not tell her of all your good times spent in prison (in there for beating your last girlfriends family for making eye contact)? Good luck, friend, and let me know how it goes! With my tips, you can't go wrong. :) Next stop, Scoresville!