Need some suggestions for decent cheap mic setup

futurefields

Diamond Member
Jun 2, 2012
So you have experience with that unit? Can you tell me about it? Obviously you found it to be a good value as you are recommending it but I must admit I am skeptical due to the price. Was the mic a satisfactory quality? Were others able to hear you clearly without muffling or distortion? How long is the cable? Is the company easy to deal with for RMA's?

MongGrel

Lifer
Dec 3, 2013
So you have experience with that unit? Can you tell me about it? Obviously you found it to be a good value as you are recommending it but I must admit I am skeptical due to the price. Was the mic a satisfactory quality? Were others able to hear you clearly without muffling or distortion? How long is the cable? Is the company easy to deal with for RMA's?

Look at reviews yourself, he gave you an option you asked for.

Stop asking others to do what you should be doing yourself.

RockinZ28

Platinum Member
Mar 5, 2008
Do you have headphones already? Can grab a $5 desk/clip on mic, and have better sound than a cheap headset if you have decent headphones.

futurefields

Diamond Member
Jun 2, 2012
Look at reviews yourself, he gave you an option you asked for.

Stop asking others to do what you should be doing yourself.

Yeah I know I can read the reviews for the $3 headset but I am looking for what people I know here who are actual PC gamers have experience with, not what some random on Amazon who would actually buy a $3 headset and think the sound quality could be any good. Also one of the reviews clearly states the mic sounds muffled and bad which makes me think KMFJD just posted it as a joke.

KMFJD

Lifer
Aug 11, 2005
it sounds like this is just a passing fad for you so why invest $40 for a good headset? just find a decent mic, i believe amazon can even pick one based on ratings and price for you.

MongGrel

Lifer
Dec 3, 2013
Yeah I know I can read the reviews for the $3 headset but I am looking for what people I know here who are actual PC gamers have experience with, not what some random on Amazon who would actually buy a $3 headset and think the sound quality could be any good. Also one of the reviews clearly states the mic sounds muffled and bad which makes me think KMFJD just posted it as a joke.

I beta tested Evercrack, and still randomly just run into friends from some games in the past.

Let me know when you become an actual PC Gamer. :p

DigDog

Lifer
Jun 3, 2011
teh zalman mic is ... ok, for the money. not great by any stretch. i use the $40 AntLion and it's by far the best non-professional microphone you can get - i know you said cheap, but it's an investment.

otherwise, a set of plantronics such as this :
http://www.amazon.com/Plantronics-G...id=1459649653&sr=8-1&keywords=plantronics+7.1

my friend from blacklight (who dominates lobbies, one of the few people who can beat me) has this and he recommends it as excellent. we did a 1-1 and he could hear every footstep so i think this would be a good choice.

i'm sure the logitech is fine as well, but this is a sure shot.

MongGrel

Lifer
Dec 3, 2013
I've used a couple sets of Plantronics in the past that worked very well for gaming.

Last edited:

Tidekilla115

Feb 28, 2016
I have turtle beach x12's which are $40ish and they work great I used them on my Xbox and now my pc.

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
teh zalman mic is ... ok, for the money. not great by any stretch. i use the $40 AntLion and it's by far the best non-professional microphone you can get - i know you said cheap, but it's an investment.

the zalman is working well for me but thanks for helping me spend my money ():)

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000
I used the zalman mic with a pair of sennheiser headphones for a long time. i never got any complaints about my voice quality.