Need some help upgrading my ram

Discussion in 'Memory and Storage' started by Dougtron, Dec 29, 2012.

1. Dougtron

Dougtron Junior Member

I'm using a GIGABYTE GA-H55M-UD2H and Intel i5-655k and I'm trying to upgrade my ram. I got a pair of G.SKILL F3-10666CL9D-16GBXL 8GB sticks, but I didn't do my homework right and apparently they aren't compatible with my motherboard. I'm currently running two G.SKILL F3-12800CL9D-4GBRL 2GB sticks. Are there any 4GB or 8GB sticks that'd work with my mothrboard. I was aiming for 16GB of memory but if that is overkill would it just be preferable to buy two more of the ones I'm running for a total of 8GB across 4 2GB sticks? Thanks for any help!

2. Loading...

Similar Threads - upgrading Forum Date
    should i buy new pc or upgrade RAM Memory and Storage May 4, 2017
    Upgrading HDD to SSD question about M.2 drives Memory and Storage Apr 6, 2017
    XMP Not Working After Upgrading From 16GB to 32GB Memory and Storage Apr 6, 2017
    Upgraded to SSD. Problem with secondary Seagate hard drive. Memory and Storage Mar 30, 2017
    Upgrading C: SSD Memory and Storage Feb 23, 2017

3. Blain

Blain Lifer

Make sure your MB is flashed to the latest F11 bios update (Improved memory compatibility).

Have you pulled your current DIMMs and tried the 2 8GB sticks?
    It's worth a shot since you have them.

#2 Blain, Dec 29, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 29, 2012
  4. Dougtron

Dougtron Junior Member

Yea. I pulled the old ones out and out the news ones in and my computer wouldn't boot. It would show the initial screen where can press DEL to get into the BIOS and all that could stuff, but then it'd just restart. Thats when I put the old ones back in and looked up that the new ram isn't compatible. It's strange though because the G.SKILL site doesn't list my motherboards chipset as being supported by my current ram either.

5. Blain

Blain Lifer

Is your MB up to the F11 bios?

You might try installing the DIMMs in different banks.

6. kbp

kbp Senior member

Reset your bios to default settings and try just the new ram. . . You mat also have a reset button for RAM on your motherboard. At least Asus boards do....

7. Dougtron

Dougtron Junior Member

I reset my BIOS to the defaults and tried the ram in every configuration I could. I got it get to the Windows loading screen but it would just hang at that point.

8. OlafSicky

OlafSicky Platinum Member

set the settings timings for the ram in bios including the voltage. Make sure you have the latest bios