Ociff

Jun 8, 2020
Hello, good day.

I need some help with my laptop.

Laptop:
Asus TUF Gaming FX505-G

Specs:
Processor: Intel Core i5 @ 2.30GHz
Storage: 111GB BORY MII500 120G (SATA (SSD)) // 931GB Seagate ST1000LM035-1RK172 (SATA )
RAM: 8gb
Windows: Windows 10 Home Single Language
Version: 1903
GPU: Intel UHD Graphics 630 and 4095MB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050
**do tell me if I have anything missed out**

Problem:

Now to the problem. Every time I play a game, the whole game lags out. As if, that my ram wasn't enough or my laptop is overheating itself. I have a cooling fan at the bottom of my laptop, and this laptop is only 2 years old. It seems to have no problem when I first bought it, I was able to run google chrome, a game(league of legends), and discord all open at the background at the same time. Right now, when I play a game, I have to close google chrome, and minimize Discord. Note that I am not able to update my windows, as it shows the, "unable to update reverting back to older version".

I have formated my laptop twice, by a manufacturer, no settings were tweak.

Also, for certain games like Warzone, it lags a lot, it gives me high FPS and then drops to below 3 when I fire a shot or when someone fires a shot. GTA 5 has been lagging a lot for me, till I optimize a few settings and it lagged a little, but it shouldn't lag this much as given to the specs given for this laptop. Every time I start a match in league of legends, it would give me 1 fps when someone uses a skill for the starting of the game and lags a hell ton at the start of the match, but it will be fine after that.

Any experts out there could tell me what is this problem that is causing it? Corrupted files? Windows problem? My drivers are always up to date. Should I format my laptop again? Upgrade windows 10 to professional? I don't want to invest on another laptop, but if it comes to money needing to spend on buying a new version of windows or anything, that isn't a problem. I have a PC and just use this laptop now because I'm not able to return to my homes currently.

Thanks for the great help in advance!

Muadib

Lifer
May 30, 2000
Are you monitoring your temps? It sounds like the laptop may be overheating, and throttling. Formatting the SSD again won't help, and upgrading windows to professional would also be a waste of money. If your problem is due to high temps, you can try undervolting the laptop.

IntelUser2000

Elite Member
Oct 14, 2003
@Ociff Download HWInfo and keep it in the background. Watch temperatures AND frequency of the CPU and the GPU while the game is running. You don't have to keep the game in windowed mode because if you right click on the metric you are measuring you'll have an option to open up a tiny graph which will monitor over time.

When you initially run HWInfo, it'll have a window asking you if you want Sensors only or Summary only. Check Sensors only. Then do your thing.

Ociff

Jun 8, 2020
Are you monitoring your temps? It sounds like the laptop may be overheating, and throttling. Formatting the SSD again won't help, and upgrading windows to professional would also be a waste of money. If your problem is due to high temps, you can try undervolting the laptop.
How am I able to solve this? As it's really annoying to have my laptop overheating and throttling the actual speed that it's supposed to give.

Ociff

Jun 8, 2020
Update: As of right now, the laptop is staying at constant 60-71°C and GPU at 50-52 °C, that's.. not normal right? Considering I also have a cooling fan at the bottom.

Muadib

Lifer
May 30, 2000
Update: As of right now, the laptop is staying at constant 60-71°C and GPU at 50-52 °C, that's.. not normal right? Considering I also have a cooling fan at the bottom.
Is that while playing a game? If so that's good! If that's at idle, then you need to stress the laptop, and see how high the temps go.

How am I able to solve this? As it's really annoying to have my laptop overheating and throttling the actual speed that it's supposed to give.
Read the link below. It explains it better than I can, and it works pretty good.

Last edited: