Need some advice/thoughts on what monitor to buy

Zeawen

May 27, 2016
Hello!

Okay, so I've been trying to understand a bit about this jungle that is monitors. I have searched around on this forum, I've googled and looked through various other forums and tech guides/buyers guides etc etc etc.

What am I looking for in a monitor? Honestly probably not that much. I don't do any competitive gaming. If I play multiplayer games it's usually fairly slow paced. Terraria, Orcs Must Die, Starbound, Diablo 3 and games like that. For singleplayer games at the moment Dark Souls 3, Stellaris, XCOM 2 and Stardew Valley to name a few. It's not super demanding games I feel in terms of what sort of monitor I need. Now what I've wanted for my next monitor was something with an IPS panel, as I understood back then it had nicer colors and better viewing angles then other panels. I have this today, which honestly is suiting me just fine. But I do need a new monitor (My GF needs this one). Now, a few requirements/wants:

I would really like it to be minimum 27". I'd also like it to be a higher resolution then 1080p. I really want a nice picture quality. How to explain it, I like it when what I see isn't blurry or out of focus etc. I have no idea if this is tied to what monitor I buy or just settings on the monitor. I'm on a budget. I'd say around $500 is my maximum.

I have a few considerations:

This ASUS for one. It will cost me $525 here in Denmark.
There's also this Dell I can get for about $550.
And finally this BenQ for the same ish price as the ASUS.

If I had to choose myself, I'd probably go for the Dell or the ASUS. I don't really like the foot on the BenQ. But what I really need help with is to find out if I really NEED any of those monitors, or I can do just fine with a cheaper one for my fairly sparse needs in a monitor. I've also considered if something like an Ultra Wide monitor would suit my needs better. Maybe even a curved one if I can afford it? Maybe a TV would be better then a monitor for me? I also saw the HP Pavillion 32 that has been announced, but prices here in Denmark might be over my budget (Considering that every price I find in American sites are a good deal lower then Danish prices)

Oh, and I have a GTX 970 if that has any impact on purchase.

Any help, thoughts, or advice would greatly be apreciated as my brain is fried reading and trying to figure out what I want/need :3