Question Need some advice/suggestions for a higher end laptop.

Darkmatterx76

Jun 30, 2005
Hi, I'm looking to buy a laptop to fill multiple rolls. Some gaming, some streaming, and some work. Work would include using Photoshop and other photography programs as well as some video editing. The video editing is not a big part of my work and generally isn't very complex. I would say 4K is rare, 8K hasn't been needed yet, and I don't want to. :)

I'm copying and pasting this set of questions with answers to help.

Thanks!

1. What is your budget? $1000-$2000

2. What is the size of the notebook that you are considering? 17" would be preferable, but might not be possible with my budget.

3. What screen resolution do you want? 1080p or better.

4. Do you need a portable or desktop replacement laptop? Portable. Already have a desktop.

5. How much battery life do you need? Hard to say as gaming and work drain a battery at different rates. I definitely won't be away from a wall plug for days.

6. Do you want to play games with your laptop? If so then please list the games that you want to with the settings that you want for these games. (Low,Medium or High)? I enjoy indie, sims, sandbox, and many others. I also sometimes play non-CoD FPS's such as Bioshock type games. I do like higher settings but it's a laptop. Something has to give. Currently gaming examples are Oxygen not Included, Cities Skylines, Cosmoteer. I doubt I'd want to play a FPS on a laptop, but who know. I do also use emulators from time to time.

7. What other tasks do you want to do with your laptop? (Photo/Video editing, Etc.) Photo editing & light video editing, excel, word, web browsing, watching media such as Netflix, Youtube, Twitch, etc.

8. How much storage (Hard Drive capacity) do you need? I'd probably want a 1TB M.2 SSD and a more tradition drive for other files and programs. I don't know laptop HDD ranges, but my current PC has a 6TB & a 10TB drive in it, as well as the M.2 1TB. I know I won't match that.

9. If you are considering specific sites to buy from, please post their links. No specific site, but less bloat, more choice. That said, I hear that laptops that can have parts upgraded are a dying breed.:(

10. How long do you want to keep your laptop?
At least 3 years. Probably longer.

11. What kind of Optical drive do you need? DVD ROM/Writer,Bluray ROM/Writer,Etc ? DVD writer.

12. Please tell us about the brands that you prefer to buy from them and the brands that you don't like and explain the reasons. No preference other then not liking bloat. Quality and CS is important.

13. What country do you live in? Canada

14. Please tell us any additional information if needed. I found out I need to go away for 10 days , leaving on the first of Dec. Sort of need to order now and probably pay more for shipping. May not even be possible. I may need to buy local. I don't know all the brands they carry, but I do know they have refurbished Lenovo laptops.

Tech Junky

Diamond Member
Jan 27, 2022

Best price for performance if you are comfortable with adding an M2 and other parts you want like ram/ WiFi upgrade. I picked up one with a 12700h/3060 for $1300 w/no tax / free shipping and it arrived within a week unlike the major OEMs that have logistics issues.

I added 32gb of ram and 1tb sn850 for $250. I bought the base screen model with the intent to upgrade it myself to 4k120 for another $300. Later I upgraded the WiFi for $20.

Worth looking into if you have the time vs settling for something else.

Reactions: Darkmatterx76