Need some advice and guidance with build, no luck so far on other forums...

Nasty_nate

Dec 4, 2018
Ive posted in multiple forums asking for a some advise regarding my new build with very little helpful input, im hoping this will be my last time trying! This is my first and most expensive build ever and its a big deal for me. In the past I would buy a part here add something there with no real direction. I didnt really plan on building a PC this soon but ive had it with my current set up and black friday and cyber monday showed up and I went a little crazy snagging up things I thought was best deal. I went way to big on the power supply because it was on sale but thought if I ever go VR or anything else I had plenty of room (On sale for $110). Same with the ram I went a little over board but my wife does some minor video editing and for and extra $120 I grabbed 16 more gigs of ram. The rest I felt was on par with what I have or a good upgrade.
Items on my build list that haven't been purchased are the OS and the CPU.

Here is my parts list so far. https://pcpartpicker.com/list/HfLXpG

Things I am in need of but everything I am open to constructive ideas where I have screwed up! I dont mind returning items if needed.

1) I am still in need of a CPU fan that i will use and the switch out to water cooled in 6 - 12 months. I would like to do a bunch of research with build plans well in advance prior to liquid cooled.
2) I would like to find loom and combs for the power supply wires. I would like to individually wrap each wire for a custom color scheme. (Where to get sleeving, tools, crimpers, pins and connectors if I need to custom build a wire)
3) Should I get a m.2 1 TB ( C: )drive instead of the Crucial - MX500 500 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ? It seems like my C: is full of games... do you ever store your games on your other HDs?
4) The monitor I purchased is said to be lacking and I should get something with g sync. Any suggestions there would be great current ( ViewSonic - XG2401 23.6" 1920x1080 144 Hz Monitor )
5) I have 2 MX5500 logitech mice that wont die and I hate to replace them but im open to suggestions on a new mouse.
6) I rarely use cd/dvd but in the event that I do I need an external DVD rewriter.

1. What YOUR PC will be used for. (Gaming mostly, some video editing an possibly VR in the near future)
2. What YOUR budget is. A price range is acceptable as long as it's not more than a 20% spread ( this is hard for my to put a price because i purchased most of the items but Im open to suggestions. Example: my monitor i spent $170 but Im open to $500 if its that much better however I cant go up that much more on every item.)
3. What country YOU will be buying YOUR parts from. (USA)
5. IF YOU have a brand preference. Intel CPU and nvidia preference.
6. If YOU intend on using any of YOUR current parts, and if so, what those parts are. Any items that i currently have listed on my build specs can be swapped if needed. I plan on useing zero parts from my old pc. the most current item 2 years old and the oldest 8 year old samsung monitor logitech mx5500 mouse and sidewinder keyboard...)
7. IF YOU plan on overclocking or run the system at default speeds. My plan is to over clock once I go water cooled in the future.
8. What resolution, not monitor size, will you be using? ( I bought a ViewSonic XG2401 23.6" 1920 x 1080 , and from a a few people suggestions I cheaped out on this one so im looking for a good upgrade)
9. WHEN do you plan to build it? ( over the next few weeks, most items are on hand still in the box)
10. Do you need to purchase any software to go with the system, such as Windows or Blu Ray playback software? (Windows OS )

I greatly appreciate any and all information suggestions or comments that you may have.
Thank you for your time.

Ketchup

Elite Member
Sep 1, 2002
A few consideration:

1. 32 GB of RAM is over the top. I have 16 GB and that is more than enough unless I have a lot of virtual machines going at one time. For a purely gaming rig, 16 GB or RAM should be plenty.

2. The drive configuration is really up to you and your needs, however I am not a fan or your current configuration. Two 6 TB Toshiba Drives in the same case as your i7 and GTX 2070 will create a LOT of heat. If you know you are going to need that much space, that's fine. But you might just want to buy a larger SSD now, and then buy Hard drives as you need. I have a hard drive for the Steam games - those take up a TON of space and I can live with the slight latency when I do feel like gaming.

3. I am a fan of your mouse as well (I have a couple similar Logitech models). We got our son a Steel Rival 300 and he loves it for FPS games. I am more into third-person and racing games, so the right mouse really depends on what you will be using it for.

4. For a cooler - I agree you definitely want a nice air cooler if for nothing else than to be a backup to the water cooler. The CM Hyper 212 EVO is still a decent cooler for cheap. For a bit more, the Thermalright TRUE Spirit 140 is a great performer.

Nasty_nate

Dec 4, 2018
A few consideration:

1. 32 GB of RAM is over the top. I have 16 GB and that is more than enough unless I have a lot of virtual machines going at one time. For a purely gaming rig, 16 GB or RAM should be plenty.

2. The drive configuration is really up to you and your needs, however I am not a fan or your current configuration. Two 6 TB Toshiba Drives in the same case as your i7 and GTX 2070 will create a LOT of heat. If you know you are going to need that much space, that's fine. But you might just want to buy a larger SSD now, and then buy Hard drives as you need. I have a hard drive for the Steam games - those take up a TON of space and I can live with the slight latency when I do feel like gaming.

3. I am a fan of your mouse as well (I have a couple similar Logitech models). We got our son a Steel Rival 300 and he loves it for FPS games. I am more into third-person and racing games, so the right mouse really depends on what you will be using it for.

4. For a cooler - I agree you definitely want a nice air cooler if for nothing else than to be a backup to the water cooler. The CM Hyper 212 EVO is still a decent cooler for cheap. For a bit more, the Thermalright TRUE Spirit 140 is a great performer.

1) Yea the ram i figured was overkill.

2) Currently I have 8TB at 75% full so thats why I went a little over the top there.

3) Theres nothing really wrong with the MX revolution mouse other than they are just dated. The biggest reason I dont want to get rid of them is I have 2. One dies I have a fully charged sitting right next to me. I have been using a MS sidewinder mouse for 6-7 years until it died recently.

4) the 212 evo I have been looking at but I like that spirit 140. thanks for all the info!

Ketchup

Elite Member
Sep 1, 2002
Does the 75%-full-8TB drive have data that is being accessed by other computers? Or is it just all games?

Why am I asking? If the data is needed, but not all the same (let's say, it's videos, pics, music, etc) it could go on another computer(or stay on the existing one) and be shared on the network.

Nasty_nate

Dec 4, 2018
Does the 75%-full-8TB drive have data that is being accessed by other computers? Or is it just all games?

Why am I asking? If the data is needed, but not all the same (let's say, it's videos, pics, music, etc) it could go on another computer(or stay on the existing one) and be shared on the network.
If I had to guess 300GB is games and as of right now its only used on my PC. 5tb being movies and some pictures/ backup from some of my wife's photography. So the bulk is not accessed regularly, i would like to use it as a media center occasionally but it would not be its main purpose.

aigomorla

CPU, Cases&Cooling Mod PC Gaming Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
I hope i am not too late to this....

build list that haven't been purchased are the OS and the CPU.

Here is my parts list so far. https://pcpartpicker.com/list/HfLXpG

Things I am in need of but everything I am open to constructive ideas where I have screwed up! I dont mind returning items if needed.

1) I am still in need of a CPU fan that i will use and the switch out to water cooled in 6 - 12 months. I would like to do a bunch of research with build plans well in advance prior to liquid cooled.
2) I would like to find loom and combs for the power supply wires. I would like to individually wrap each wire for a custom color scheme. (Where to get sleeving, tools, crimpers, pins and connectors if I need to custom build a wire)
3) Should I get a m.2 1 TB ( C: )drive instead of the Crucial - MX500 500 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ? It seems like my C: is full of games... do you ever store your games on your other HDs?
4) The monitor I purchased is said to be lacking and I should get something with g sync. Any suggestions there would be great current ( ViewSonic - XG2401 23.6" 1920x1080 144 Hz Monitor )
5) I have 2 MX5500 logitech mice that wont die and I hate to replace them but im open to suggestions on a new mouse.
6) I rarely use cd/dvd but in the event that I do I need an external DVD rewriter.

1. What YOUR PC will be used for. (Gaming mostly, some video editing an possibly VR in the near future)
2. What YOUR budget is. A price range is acceptable as long as it's not more than a 20% spread ( this is hard for my to put a price because i purchased most of the items but Im open to suggestions. Example: my monitor i spent $170 but Im open to $500 if its that much better however I cant go up that much more on every item.)
3. What country YOU will be buying YOUR parts from. (USA)
5. IF YOU have a brand preference. Intel CPU and nvidia preference.
6. If YOU intend on using any of YOUR current parts, and if so, what those parts are. Any items that i currently have listed on my build specs can be swapped if needed. I plan on useing zero parts from my old pc. the most current item 2 years old and the oldest 8 year old samsung monitor logitech mx5500 mouse and sidewinder keyboard...)
7. IF YOU plan on overclocking or run the system at default speeds. My plan is to over clock once I go water cooled in the future.
8. What resolution, not monitor size, will you be using? ( I bought a ViewSonic XG2401 23.6" 1920 x 1080 , and from a a few people suggestions I cheaped out on this one so im looking for a good upgrade)
9. WHEN do you plan to build it? ( over the next few weeks, most items are on hand still in the box)
10. Do you need to purchase any software to go with the system, such as Windows or Blu Ray playback software? (Windows OS )

I greatly appreciate any and all information suggestions or comments that you may have.
Thank you for your time.

1. Can i ask what liquid cooler your intending to install? is it a AIO? or a Custom LC your building from ground up? I ask this question because we may need to tweak your case seeing how you have a very good budget for other simular cases which will make your life A LOT EASIER when custom looping.

2. I like to use Ali Express when buying stuff like that in bulk.
aliexpress
Only problem is the shipping time can be long... almost 2 months if your unlucky and stuck in customs.
Its by far the cheapest. Some stores take paypal, some don't. I have ordered a lot of stuff there, especially the watercooling gear, as its substantially cheaper then getting them in the US.
You can also look at:
FrozenCPU.com
Performance-PCS.com
You can also go though amazon.com and look for the seller Titan Rigs.

3. ALWAYS GET A PCI-E NVMe Drive as your BOOT on a new system PERIOD.
NVMe's are vastly superior then regular 2.5inch SSD.
This should't even be debatable, always go for the PCI-E NVMe as your boot.
And make sure its a PCI-E NVMe.... they will have speeds of greater the 1.8k-2.7k in reads.,

Here is the speed differerence between a EVO 850 vs a 960 PRO....
Its night and day in reads and writes.
These tests were run on the Gigabyte X299 Aorus Gaming 9 Motherboard.

Micron 1100 2TB:
CDinfo.png

Samsung 850 EVO 1TB:
CDinfo_S850.png

Not bad for a drive that costs HALF the price of the EVO huh?

And for giggles... the 960 PRO:
CD960Pro.png

I personally run 6 2.5 inch SSD's and 2 NVMe.s (one is on a pci-e card)
NVMe -> system programs (and other stuff)
2TB Micron SSD x 3 for gaming is what i have ultimately fell on and love.
You can see my micron thread here for more info on the cheapest yet perfect gaming SSD you can get.
https://forums.anandtech.com/threads/mini-review-on-the-micron-1100-ssd.2536625/

I would recomend a simular setup of 1 nvme as a boot drive... somewhere from a 500gb.
And then pairing it with a 2TB Micron or something simular priced if there is now as a gaming drive.
Games will not really benifit from nvme as your OS will.

4. How much did you want to spend on a monitor?
I would not get a 1080p anymore.. i would at least get a 1440p.
You are getting a 2070RTX which has more then enough OOMPH for 1440p.
And even then i LOVE ultra wides.
But seeing how your original budget is 180 dollars.
Can you boost it 100 dollars? Also this deal wont last, so if you really need a monitor...
https://computers.woot.com/offers/samsung-27-cfg73-gaming-monitor-7?ref=w_cnt_lnd_cat_pc_4_40
I highly recommend looking though woot especially if your a amazon prime member.

5. Do you want wireless or wired mouse?
I personally like wired, because i don't need to worry about batteries. I am terrible at plugging stuff in, even my Tesla. But for a wired mouse i absolutely love the logitech g502.
There is a G903 wireless one which can work on logitech's Qi mouse pad so its always recharging but that's a very pricey setup, and one im not even willing to fully commit to yet.

6. External Opticals...I use 2... a simple usb one you can buy cheap on amazon which only needs usb for just simple CD-DVD stuff, and my server has a ASUS Blu-Ray BDXL connected to it for heavy optical usage, and also to rip my bluray library to digital, as i shelf all my physical copies in a box and have a full plex media center.
Newegg ASUS BL

Last edited:
Reactions: VirtualLarry

Nasty_nate

Dec 4, 2018
I hope i am not too late to this....

1. Can i ask what liquid cooler your intending to install? is it a AIO? or a Custom LC your building from ground up? I ask this question because we may need to tweak your case seeing how you have a very good budget for other simular cases which will make your life A LOT EASIER when custom looping.

2. I like to use Ali Express when buying stuff like that in bulk.
aliexpress
Only problem is the shipping time can be long... almost 2 months if your unlucky and stuck in customs.
Its by far the cheapest. Some stores take paypal, some don't. I have ordered a lot of stuff there, especially the watercooling gear, as its substantially cheaper then getting them in the US.
You can also look at:
FrozenCPU.com
Performance-PCS.com
You can also go though amazon.com and look for the seller Titan Rigs.

3. ALWAYS GET A PCI-E NVMe Drive as your BOOT on a new system PERIOD.
NVMe's are vastly superior then regular 2.5inch SSD.
This should't even be debatable, always go for the PCI-E NVMe as your boot.
And make sure its a PCI-E NVMe.... they will have speeds of greater the 1.8k-2.7k in reads.,

Here is the speed differerence between a EVO 850 vs a 960 PRO....
Its night and day in reads and writes.

I personally run 6 2.5 inch SSD's and 2 NVMe.s (one is on a pci-e card)
NVMe -> system programs (and other stuff)
2TB Micron SSD x 3 for gaming is what i have ultimately fell on and love.
You can see my micron thread here for more info on the cheapest yet perfect gaming SSD you can get.
https://forums.anandtech.com/threads/mini-review-on-the-micron-1100-ssd.2536625/

I would recomend a simular setup of 1 nvme as a boot drive... somewhere from a 500gb.
And then pairing it with a 2TB Micron or something simular priced if there is now as a gaming drive.
Games will not really benifit from nvme as your OS will.

4. How much did you want to spend on a monitor?
I would not get a 1080p anymore.. i would at least get a 1440p.
You are getting a 2070RTX which has more then enough OOMPH for 1440p.
And even then i LOVE ultra wides.
But seeing how your original budget is 180 dollars.
Can you boost it 100 dollars? Also this deal wont last, so if you really need a monitor...
https://computers.woot.com/offers/samsung-27-cfg73-gaming-monitor-7?ref=w_cnt_lnd_cat_pc_4_40
I highly recommend looking though woot especially if your a amazon prime member.

5. Do you want wireless or wired mouse?
I personally like wired, because i don't need to worry about batteries. I am terrible at plugging stuff in, even my Tesla. But for a wired mouse i absolutely love the logitech g502.
There is a G903 wireless one which can work on logitech's Qi mouse pad so its always recharging but that's a very pricey setup, and one im not even willing to fully commit to yet.

6. External Opticals...I use 2... a simple usb one you can buy cheap on amazon which only needs usb for just simple CD-DVD stuff, and my server has a ASUS Blu-Ray BDXL connected to it for heavy optical usage, and also to rip my bluray library to digital, as i shelf all my physical copies in a box and have a full plex media center.
Newegg ASUS BL

Ok your late for some things but thats because I ordered some before even posting.

1) Custom liquid from the ground up BUT I have ZERO knowledge as of right now thats the only reason Im waiting till further research and time spent practicing bending tubes. Case has been bought so not sure if I want to switch that but suggestions are welcome! I see there are a few stickies on here regarding liquid cooling but any further help is appreciated!

2) Ill look into all those options I would like to get the loom in quickly so I can start the drawn out process. Any tools to make the job easier that you recommend?

3) Recommendation on a PCI-E NVMe would be great !!!

4) I was looking at the ASUS ROG PG279Q @ $700 but its out of stock everywhere. I was never planning on buying such an expensive monitor but from other input I really am lacking in this area. I have a hard time spending that type of money with a bunch of reviews with dead pixels and ghosting. I have been researching for the past 3 weeks and I simply cant decide....

5) logitech g502 looks promising thank you!

6) I rarely use optical other than the occasional burning a movie for someone so the ASUS is not really needed. THIS is something that I was looking at seems like it would work out for me.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
I'm with Aigo on the SSD front. If you can go PCI-e NVMe on your main OS SSD, DO IT! (If your mobo has a socket, and supports booting off of it.)

The exception might be, if you own certain AM4 motherboards, with dual PCI-E 3.0 video-card slots, where the second PCI-E x16 (physical), is wired to the SAME PCI-E 3.0 x4 (electrical) as the primary Ultra M.2 socket. In which case, you won't be able to populate both of them, sorry.

I came across this when I was looking at B350/B450 AMD AM4 ATX boards, as a possible upgrade for my Ryzen rigs, so that I could install two RX 570 cards, AND an PCI-E x4 NVMe SSD. (Got an EX920 coming in soon.)

aigomorla

Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
Ok your late for some things but thats because I ordered some before even posting.

1) Custom liquid from the ground up BUT I have ZERO knowledge as of right now thats the only reason Im waiting till further research and time spent practicing bending tubes. Case has been bought so not sure if I want to switch that but suggestions are welcome! I see there are a few stickies on here regarding liquid cooling but any further help is appreciated!

2) Ill look into all those options I would like to get the loom in quickly so I can start the drawn out process. Any tools to make the job easier that you recommend?

3) Recommendation on a PCI-E NVMe would be great !!!

4) I was looking at the ASUS ROG PG279Q @ $700 but its out of stock everywhere. I was never planning on buying such an expensive monitor but from other input I really am lacking in this area. I have a hard time spending that type of money with a bunch of reviews with dead pixels and ghosting. I have been researching for the past 3 weeks and I simply cant decide....

5) logitech g502 looks promising thank you!

6) I rarely use optical other than the occasional burning a movie for someone so the ASUS is not really needed. THIS is something that I was looking at seems like it would work out for me.
1. ok well we can work with what you got. It just means you have less margins of error vs a truly unforgiving case. I ask that when you do decide to buy, ask in cases and cooling section, and other forums as well, and then mesh the recommendations you get.
It seems like you want to play with hard pipes, which is not something a beginner should attempt as there first builds. It requires a lot of planning, with a lot of details when planning followed by a after plan on the plan you made to make sure the plan goes perfectly, because a hard pipe is permanent. Once its set, it wont move, and you will have very little flex room. Do you get the plan?
(being serious here, it really requires meticulous planning, or you will suffer hard when you either need to replace something, or need to drain the system, or bleed. )

2. if you want to sleeve your cables, dont... just buy pre sleeved cable extensions.
Trust me, you'll save a lot of time and headaches that way, and it will look just as good, as long as you get the proper extensions.

As for tools, there really aint any, unless you intend to sleeve yourself.
Which again, as i cant stress enough, its far far far easier to buy pre sleeved extensions, and also less stressful especially if you have OCD and realize one of the heat shrink was cut too short and wont line up.

3. there are a lot of good ones. How much did you want to spend?
Typically i say always get the 500gb size, because they typically have a larger cache vs the smaller 250gb or 120gb.

My personal favorites are Samsung 970 EVO, WD Black are also very good.
I am a bit partial to QLC SSD's tho, like the Crucial P1.
Don't get me wrong, its still an excellent SSD, but your sacrificing a lot for that cheaper price tag at QLC especially in the form of reliability. Most consumers wont see or notice the difference, but it just does not have enough field life to see how reliable they truly are.

4. the reason why that monitor is so expensive is because of G-Sync.
Again i am pretty meh, about GSync. Honestly if you never played with G-sync for prolong periods of time, you probably wont even notice G-Sync 144hz over a non gsync 144hz
Sure it works great, but is it worth the extra markup?
IMO id honestly check out that samsung i linked you.
its a 144hz Quantium Dot panel, which should give that ASUS one a run for its money at less then half the cost even without G-Sync.

6. i would look for something with USB 3.0 and not USB 2.0

Nasty_nate

Dec 4, 2018
1. ok well we can work with what you got. It just means you have less margins of error vs a truly unforgiving case. I ask that when you do decide to buy, ask in cases and cooling section, and other forums as well, and then mesh the recommendations you get.
It seems like you want to play with hard pipes, which is not something a beginner should attempt as there first builds. It requires a lot of planning, with a lot of details when planning followed by a after plan on the plan you made to make sure the plan goes perfectly, because a hard pipe is permanent. Once its set, it wont move, and you will have very little flex room. Do you get the plan?
(being serious here, it really requires meticulous planning, or you will suffer hard when you either need to replace something, or need to drain the system, or bleed. )

2. if you want to sleeve your cables, dont... just buy pre sleeved cable extensions.
Trust me, you'll save a lot of time and headaches that way, and it will look just as good, as long as you get the proper extensions.

As for tools, there really aint any, unless you intend to sleeve yourself.
Which again, as i cant stress enough, its far far far easier to buy pre sleeved extensions, and also less stressful especially if you have OCD and realize one of the heat shrink was cut too short and wont line up.

3. there are a lot of good ones. How much did you want to spend?
Typically i say always get the 500gb size, because they typically have a larger cache vs the smaller 250gb or 120gb.

My personal favorites are Samsung 970 EVO, WD Black are also very good.
I am a bit partial to QLC SSD's tho, like the Crucial P1.
Don't get me wrong, its still an excellent SSD, but your sacrificing a lot for that cheaper price tag at QLC especially in the form of reliability. Most consumers wont see or notice the difference, but it just does not have enough field life to see how reliable they truly are.

4. the reason why that monitor is so expensive is because of G-Sync.
Again i am pretty meh, about GSync. Honestly if you never played with G-sync for prolong periods of time, you probably wont even notice G-Sync 144hz over a non gsync 144hz
Sure it works great, but is it worth the extra markup?
IMO id honestly check out that samsung i linked you.
its a 144hz Quantium Dot panel, which should give that ASUS one a run for its money at less then half the cost even without G-Sync.

6. i would look for something with USB 3.0 and not USB 2.0

1) Just so i understand a little better whats going to be the hardest part about this case? Why is it unforgiving? I plan on doing a lot of planning for the liquid cooling thats why im going to wait 6 months so I can adequately do research and tons of trial runs on bending. I know this isnt nearly the same area but I am a welder mechanic etc Ive done my fair share bending copper tubing etc.

2) Im hell bent on doing full sleeves myself I dont know why.... However what would you recommend for extension kits that I can customize the colors. I have a specific idea that will be matching neon lights and other things on my desk.

3) 500 GB is fine I dont plan on cheeping out if its that much of a difference. Ill be getting the Samsung 970 EVO, 500gb then

4) the samsung you linked was a refurb. With all the reviews ive been reading on dead pixels and ghosting Im somewhat cautious on buying a refurb. Have you purchased them in the past?

6) Sounds good ill keep looking.

aigomorla

Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
1. a much more lcs friendly case is something like the thermal take Tower 900. If you check them out, you'll see what i mean about very forgiving.

Hard pipes are unforgiving, because if you need to change something, you need to drain.

If you dont have a proper drain, you need to tilt your case acrobatically somehow so you dont spill all over your pc out a hole.

If you dont have a proper fill port you'll have headaches filling the system.

If you insert the hard pipe with sharp edges, you could slice up the orings inside the fittings and it will leak.

2. I would just browse though Ali Express and Amazon and see if they have a color scheme which fits you, almost all cable is the same, so you dont need to worry about vendors.

4. If your a prime member, you can always return bad units.
I have several Samsungs. Never had problems with them.
However i linked you the wrong monitor so its moot.... and i applogize.
That one is NOT a 1440p.

Nasty_nate

Dec 4, 2018
1. a much more lcs friendly case is something like the thermal take Tower 900. If you check them out, you'll see what i mean about very forgiving.

Hard pipes are unforgiving, because if you need to change something, you need to drain.

If you dont have a proper drain, you need to tilt your case acrobatically somehow so you dont spill all over your pc out a hole.

If you dont have a proper fill port you'll have headaches filling the system.

If you insert the hard pipe with sharp edges, you could slice up the orings inside the fittings and it will leak.

2. I would just browse though Ali Express and Amazon and see if they have a color scheme which fits you, almost all cable is the same, so you dont need to worry about vendors.

4. If your a prime member, you can always return bad units.
I have several Samsungs. Never had problems with them.
However i linked you the wrong monitor so its moot.... and i applogize.
That one is NOT a 1440p.

1) ok great ill take a look.. I really like the look of that case however im not ready to dive into liquid cooled. Is that an acceptable cases for air cooled for 6 months or so?

2) ill take a look whats available. I would like to have the wires leaving the PSU to be loomed as well so im not sure extensions will fit my idea.

4) No worries on the link. the monitor seems to be the hardest thing to pick right now. Ive read so many reviews, awards and forums I feel like im lost. I pulled the trigger on my monitor while it was on sale and cheaped out... I dont want to do that again. I was looking at the alienware AW2518HF (good reviews) and the Samsung CHG70 QLED ( but it has shit reviews.) I have a 10 year old smasung syncmaster ex2220 and a 50 in Samsung PLASMA TV that WONT DIE. I feel like I owe them something..... The ASUS ROG Swift PG258Q is back in stock and my first choice right now.

I really appreciate the time you have taken to answer all of my questions! Its hard to find people that like to answer the same questions, with little variations, over and over again.

Nasty_nate

Dec 4, 2018
And just to really confuse things I found a used LG 34UC79G-B 34" ultra wide for $400 I may be able to offer $350

aigomorla

Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
careful about lg ultra wide panels.

They have terrible ghost burns.
Like you leave a window open for a while, it gets burn in the LCD when you go back to blackground for a while.

Its quite anoying and the reason why i am itching to replace mine with a samsung super ultra wide if and when they come out.

This badboy..
https://www.kitguru.net/peripherals...ew-5120x1440-monitor-with-120hz-refresh-rate/

Cant find them yet, but i hear its just around the corner.

Flayed

Nov 30, 2016
I'm a little surprised to read the advice to always go with PCI-e NVMe. I know they are great at benchmarking but in real world conditions for the average user aren't they around 10% faster at booting into the OS and loading Apps and games.

aigomorla

Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
10% in the PC world is a LOT.
Its enough to make either AMD or Intel take crown at the top uncontestedly end depending on who got that 10%.

Nasty_nate

Dec 4, 2018
ok im having a hard time... this is what im looking at unless im missing something this seems to be the front runner ASUS ROG Swift PG278QR 27”

Flayed

Nov 30, 2016
Depends what you want. That looks like a nice monitor for high refresh rate gaming. There is a 4k version but it's silly amounts of money lol

Reactions: aigomorla

aigomorla

Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
if you have something called budget i would avoid gsync™

To me honesty its not really worth it, especially if your running a 2070 which can push high frames rates.

Nasty_nate

Dec 4, 2018
if you have something called budget i would avoid gsync™

To me honesty its not really worth it, especially if your running a 2070 which can push high frames rates.

Well thats the main reason im here is the monitor.. ive been researching over and over again and i keep going in circles. I havent looked into monitors in 8 years so Im WAY behind on the tech and i feel lost... Im open to suggestions

aigomorla

Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
The problem is monitors can get worse then PC cases, because they are way more functional and "in your direct sight all the time" kind of sense.

I would honestly think about these questions.

1. What resolution you ultimately want? (1440p vs 4k) i would IMO NOT even bother looking at 1080p with your budget. Its like telling a person out going to buy a Benz E Class to look at toyota corolla...

2. what do you want? wide? ultra wide? Super ultra wide? (the later has not come out yet for 1440p.)

3. Panel favoritism? IPS? PLS? TN? The first is the best in clarity and color reproduction. The later is the fastest, but you sacrifice that clarity.

4. ultimately how much you want to spend... what is the final mark where you will go, no thats way too much for my taste even if its served on a gold plate... :p

Nasty_nate

Dec 4, 2018
The problem is monitors can get worse then PC cases, because they are way more functional and "in your direct sight all the time" kind of sense.

I would honestly think about these questions.

1. What resolution you ultimately want? (1440p vs 4k) i would IMO NOT even bother looking at 1080p with your budget. Its like telling a person out going to buy a Benz E Class to look at toyota corolla...

2. what do you want? wide? ultra wide? Super ultra wide? (the later has not come out yet for 1440p.)

3. Panel favoritism? IPS? PLS? TN? The first is the best in clarity and color reproduction. The later is the fastest, but you sacrifice that clarity.

4. ultimately how much you want to spend... what is the final mark where you will go, no thats way too much for my taste even if its served on a gold plate... :p

Im coming from a 1080 samsung https://us.hardware.info/product/98948/samsung-syncmaster-ex2220/specifications

1) 1440 I think will do it
2) 27 in at least or a wide either would be acceptable
3) No favorites I honestly have only had 1 new monitor in 10 years...
4) 650 is the max i think i would want to spend

and anything that would work with a VESA mount

aigomorla

Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
Im coming from a 1080 samsung https://us.hardware.info/product/98948/samsung-syncmaster-ex2220/specifications

1) 1440 I think will do it
2) 27 in at least or a wide either would be acceptable
3) No favorites I honestly have only had 1 new monitor in 10 years...
4) 650 is the max i think i would want to spend

and anything that would work with a VESA mount

Take this comment and start a thread here:

https://forums.anandtech.com/forums/displays.72/

We have a lot of people there who know monitors very well.
They can help you pick out a really nice one better then me there.