need software to turn R rated movies into pg-13

GunsMadeAmericaFree

Golden Member
Jan 23, 2007
I work at a school where, on Fridays, we let the students watch a movie in the afternoon if they have gotten their work done.

There are several movies I'd like to let them watch, (and they've asked) like The Matrix, but the school has a policy of no R movies.

If there was some software that would let me quickly take an mpeg4 or mkv movie file and mute the audio right where the cussing was, and similarly "blur" the screen if there is nudity or something, then I'm sure it would be ok with admin, since it would essentially be toned down to pg-13.

Anyone know of a simple program that would allow a person to do this simply?

Thanks!

TheELF

Diamond Member
Dec 22, 2012
That would be against so many copyright laws that it's impossible for it to exist.
You could use any video editing software at all and do all of this but this also wouldn't be either fast nor simple, not to mention not legal.

GunsMadeAmericaFree

Golden Member
Jan 23, 2007
Strange - it is legal to edit out the cussing and nudity for a broadcast version that goes out over the airwaves to millions, but it is illegal to do the same thing on a smaller scale, from a DVD you personally own, for a room of under 10 kids that isn't open to the public?

I was just hoping for an easy to use editor that can mute audio at particular points, and blur the screen - when I tell it the exact time points to do so. I don't really want to learn anything more complex than that.

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
Technically you are not even licensed to show the movie in school. Pretty sure this is covered in the message they show before the movie. It mentions cannot be modified.

The one you want to show is the TV Cut.

Last edited:
Reactions: VirtualLarry

TheELF

Diamond Member
Dec 22, 2012
Strange - it is legal to edit out the cussing and nudity for a broadcast version that goes out over the airwaves to millions, but it is illegal to do the same thing on a smaller scale, from a DVD you personally own, for a room of under 10 kids that isn't open to the public?
Yeah broadcasters pay millions to show a movie and I don't think they do the editing themselves, would make more sense if the movie studio provides all of them a safe copy.
You pay $1 to a thrift store (or whatever a new DVD costs at a normal store) and get a limited right to watch the DVD, even with a small group of people but that's the extend of it, you don't own any rights on it.

Justinus

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 2005
Back when I was in school and a teacher showed us a movie with questionable content, they would watch it at home and keep notes of every timestamp something happens.

Then they would play the movie in class, but pause it just before all of the inappropriate spots and fast forward just past them.

It's kind of a PITA but it worked for them.

snoopy7548

Diamond Member
Jan 1, 2005
Sounds like a terrible idea to show R-rated movies, even if they're edited, in school to kids under the age of 18. Stick with PG-13 and below.

GunsMadeAmericaFree

Golden Member
Jan 23, 2007
Sounds like a terrible idea to show R-rated movies, even if they're edited, in school to kids under the age of 18. Stick with PG-13 and below.

Everybody in our class is actually 18 and older, but the school itself has the policy on nudity and cussing in the movies that goes along with R rated, because some of the classrooms have younger students. The smartboard is so very slow as to be almost unresponsive at times, because of the crappy netbook type PC that is has on the back. I'm pretty sure that it would be almost impossible to pause and skip the bad parts in real time on it, which is why I would need to edit it ahead of time.

killster1

Banned
Mar 15, 2007
my biggest issue would be that movies that are Rated R, is not because of nudity or cursing always but content, words that are not cursing etc. The idea of getting the TV version already sounds great but would require a DVR and subscription to many channels to catch all the movies wanted? :) i think you are allowed to skip past nudity but to play it safe for your career id just play pg13 movies and not worry about being popular. that seems like a good rule not to break. now if you have zero worries just edit it out, ill think of the best easiest way.

mindless1

Diamond Member
Aug 11, 2001
In addition to it being a bad idea, it seems to me that if students are getting their work done early enough to watch an entire ~90 minute movie, that they were not given enough work to do or this encourages them to rush through the material, not retaining as much.

Maybe pick PG movies with content correlating to the classwork instead, so then arguably educational ? Even then you have to have a license to legally do this.

When broadcasters censor something, they are not directly editing the movie, rather taking the intervention step on their network segment which they have the right to control, OR they received permission from the copyright holder to air a sanitized version of that content to remain within broadcasting standards. Might seem like shades of gray for the end result but it can make a difference.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: killster1

killster1

Banned
Mar 15, 2007
In addition to it being a bad idea, it seems to me that if students are getting their work done early enough to watch an entire ~90 minute movie, that they were not given enough work to do or this encourages them to rush through the material, not retaining as much.

Maybe pick PG movies with content correlating to the classwork instead, so then arguably educational ? Even then you have to have a license to legally do this.

When broadcasters censor something, they are not directly editing the movie, rather taking the intervention step on their network segment which they have the right to control. Might seem like shades of gray for the end result but it can make a difference.
you have no idea what kind of school this is. it could be some burger flipping class that needs no extra curriculum (or something along similar lines) so funny that you suggest extra work. Maybe add some Spanish subtitles so they can do some extra learning while watching that PG movie bwahah

mindless1

Diamond Member
Aug 11, 2001
If it's a burger flipping class, I want my burgers flipped the best they possibly can, not some slackers watching movies instead.

Now get off my lawn. lol.

killster1

Banned
Mar 15, 2007
If it's a burger flipping class, I want my burgers flipped the best they possibly can, not some slackers watching movies instead.

Now get off my lawn. lol.

yea by the people who finished the class and watched the movie at the end. Not by the people that didn't finish because mindless1 wants to show them Wilmer the pig Pg movies as a reward (could be actually considered torture to some)

mindless1

Diamond Member
Aug 11, 2001
^ No matter what kind of school it is, I'm pretty sure that having too little content to fill out a day then letting them watch unrelated movies is a wasted opportunity to educate them better. "Someone" is paying for this school. Do they know they are funding students sitting around watching movies? Heck, let's not teach them anything, would be much easier to just play movies all day, every day.

killster1

Banned
Mar 15, 2007
^ No matter what kind of school it is, I'm pretty sure that having too little content to fill out a day then letting them watch unrelated movies is a wasted opportunity to educate them better. "Someone" is paying for this school. Do they know they are funding students sitting around watching movies? Heck, let's not teach them anything, would be much easier to just play movies all day, every day.
maybe you live in a alternate reality of the real world? never watched a movie in school? i think everything i learned in life came from a movie ":p

mindless1

Diamond Member
Aug 11, 2001
Seems like I might have watched a movie that last day of the semester as a senior in high school, when teachers didn't have anything educational planned because everything was wrapped up and half the seniors skipped coming to school the last day (as expected). Otherwise no, I was doing coursework till the bell at the end of the day and any video played was content relevant to the class it was shown in.

If you want to learn life lessons from movies, there's no need to waste school time doing so, can more easily do that at home or a theater.

Last edited:

killster1

Banned
Mar 15, 2007
Seems like I might have watched a movie that last day of the semester as a senior in high school, when teachers didn't have anything educational planned because everything was wrapped up and half the seniors skipped coming to school the last day (as expected). Otherwise no, I was doing coursework till the bell at the end of the day and any video played was content relevant to the class it was shown in.

If you want to learn life lessons from movies, there's no need to waste school time doing so, can more easily do that at home or a theater.
that is amazing! i wonder what country you come from, i swear every grade in school we had to have watched at least one movie in class. of course i don't believe you but hey its your story. just surveyed the 10 people around me that all went to school in America, they each said around 20 movies through the years. oh shoot I didn't figure in your age, perhaps you went to school before movies came about!

Last edited:

OlyAR15

Oct 23, 2014
I recall only watching two movies during high school. One was Macbeth, which we were reading. The movie that the teacher showed us was most certainly R-rated. It depicted, rape, murder, and battle scenes in fairly graphic detail. But then again, Macbeth itself isn't exactly kid-friendly. Still, it did help clarify the story for us, so it indeed was educational. Still hate Shakespeare, though.

The 2nd movie was Fail Safe. It was for a Sci-Fi based English class. It was also fairly educational, and we discussed it at length after we watched it.

I don't see the point of showing movies in class just for entertainment. Kids can already do that at home; no point wasting class time for that. And as far as using software to automatically edit a movie into a lower classification, there's nothing out there. Even major companies have a hard time moderating content. There is so much judgement needed to determine if a certain scene is "kid-safe" or not.

Reactions: killster1

pauldun170

Diamond Member
Sep 26, 2011
You want assistance circumventing school policy by helping you commit copyright infringement?
All so you can make high schoolers watch old movies you thought were cool?

Cool.

Imovie, power director, old version of windows movie maker.

snoopy7548

Diamond Member
Jan 1, 2005
I only remember a few times when we watched movies in school (90s-2000s), besides a few science classes where we watched those old NOVA shows from the 80s, and they were at least related to the subject matter with one exception.

1) Some Christmas movie in elementary school where they joined a few classes together, which was on the day before our Christmas break. What else were we going to do?
2) Great Expectations or something similar (the old one) in high school English, along with Romeo and Juliet (the Baz Luhrmann one), after we had read the original books/plays.
3) Gattaca in high school biology.

I'm forgetting a whole bunch, but really nothing totally unrelated to what we were learning about - we never watched some random action or comedy movie just because the teacher didn't plan correctly and we had extra time, and certainly nowhere close to every week.

But that's just my experience!

SamQuint

Golden Member
Dec 6, 2010
Play them movies made before the 1960's. You will teach them something about culture and history. No cussing or words today that are no longer considered cuss words like damn and hell.