Need snowboarding jacket and pants

Dec 27, 2001
My main concern is getting something quality, but I'd like not to spend a fortune when we'll only be heading up to Tahoe a handful of times a year max.

Kntx

Platinum Member
Dec 11, 2000
Arson makes good stuff at a reasonable price. Check the water resistance and breathability of the stuff. 20000mm is best, anything over 10000mm is pretty darn good.

Scarpozzi

Lifer
Jun 13, 2000
I have blackdot and burton stuff. Blackdot is made in vietnam....but not too bad. My jacket is nice because it has lots of pockets. I have a snowboard jacket made by American Eagle too that I wear often. My favorite thing about it is the thickness and how well it keeps me dry. The blackdot is made to keep me dry, not warm...so I have to wear a few extra layers under it.

Make sure you have good knees in your pants and preferably zippers on the ankles of the pant-legs. I wear my blackdot pants more than my burtons.

If you get gloves, check out Burton's mittens. They have the same design as the gloves, but really keep your fingers warm. They held up 2 years ago when I was in sub-zero weather at Vail/Copper/Breck/Keystone....we hit like 28 below with windchill factor and I was still warm, though my MP3 player and camera batteries both died in the cold. :p

StevenYoo

Diamond Member
Jul 4, 2001
Originally posted by: Scarpozzi
I have blackdot and burton stuff. Blackdot is made in vietnam....but not too bad. My jacket is nice because it has lots of pockets. I have a snowboard jacket made by American Eagle too that I wear often. My favorite thing about it is the thickness and how well it keeps me dry. The blackdot is made to keep me dry, not warm...so I have to wear a few extra layers under it.

Make sure you have good knees in your pants and preferably zippers on the ankles of the pant-legs. I wear my blackdot pants more than my burtons.

If you get gloves, check out Burton's mittens. They have the same design as the gloves, but really keep your fingers warm. They held up 2 years ago when I was in sub-zero weather at Vail/Copper/Breck/Keystone....we hit like 28 below with windchill factor and I was still warm, though my MP3 player and camera batteries both died in the cold. :p

i second Burton's mitts. Make sure you get mitts (not gloves) with a removable liner and with a long, draw-string gauntlet. Best purchase you'll ever make.

mugs

Lifer
Apr 29, 2003
Best way to get good stuff cheap is to buy it after the season. That won't help you now unfortunately (although my wife just got a new ski coat at Sports Authority for $100 on clearance - must be from last year or something). I got a $300 Columbia coat for $80 on clearance a couple of years ago (REI).

sohcrates

Diamond Member
Sep 19, 2000
check out "marshalls" (kinda like tj maxx)

they tend to have clearance racks that occasionally carry overstock burton / other decent ski pants / coats

or you can pay 3 times the price and buy the same thing at a ski store

Scarpozzi

Lifer
Jun 13, 2000
Originally posted by: mugs
Best way to get good stuff cheap is to buy it after the season. That won't help you now unfortunately (although my wife just got a new ski coat at Sports Authority for $100 on clearance - must be from last year or something). I got a $300 Columbia coat for $80 on clearance a couple of years ago (REI).
Actually, I found some good deals during the season. If you go to the resort cities and ask the locals where the cheapest places to shop are, you can find deals. I went to a large warehouse-type sporting goods store and found all the namebrands...then browsed the clearance racks. If you shop after Xmas, you can find a lot of end-of-year deals and buy stuff for a percentage off the clearance prices. I got an extra BlackDot jacket last year for $29+tax...it just takes some searching. The thing about snowboard stuff is that everything seems to have a season date on it.... "Oh yeah dude, these are the new 06/07 season styles...." and you'll pay like $100 more than last year's.