Need second hand confirmation, is SGSSAA doing anything in BF3?

BallaTheFeared

Diamond Member
Nov 15, 2010
FXAA + IG 4xMSAA

1979b311.png

FXAA + IG 4xMSAA "enhanced" /w 8xSGSSAA

97323e14.png

The performance hit is clear as day, however I've been told many times that you can't force any sort of AA with BF3 on Nvidia cards, so I just want to make sure I'm not seeing things and someone else can reproduce the performance hit.

AA- Flags = none

Mode = Enhance

boxleitnerb

Platinum Member
Nov 1, 2011
First of all, enhance and override don't do anything as BF3 is DX11.

Secondly, SGSSAA requires at least the same amount of color samples. 8xSGSSAA+4xMSAA shouldn't work (properly). I recommend 4xMSAA+4xSGSSAA. You could also use 2xSGSSAA, but image quality is best when the number of AA-samples is equal.

Finally, you would have to find another location to see a difference. Something where you still have aliasing. The first picture seems already pretty smooth to me.

Edit:
It's working alright. 1280x1024, no FXAA, 4xMSAA on the left, 4xMSAA+4xSGSSAA on the right.

It is important to know that (unless forced via custom bits in DX9) SGSSAA only works in those locations where MSAA is applied. Now in BF3, MSAA is applied not everywhere - they have different AA methods for the finer structures like the power transformers on top of the poles, namely FXAA. FXAA also smoothes alphatextures like the palms in my screenshots. That is why you don't see a difference. SGSSAA in BF3 is not really necessary in my experience.

Last edited:

AdamK47

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
There's full screen SGSSAA and then there is Transparency SGSSAA. You would tell right away if it was full screen SGSSAA and this is definitely not it. It would have been better if you provided shots with a mix of normal textures and transparent textures. I only see three very small transparent textures. The cables along the arch wall in the back over the gate do indeed have transparency antialiasing applied to them.

janas19

Platinum Member
Nov 10, 2011
Technically, a "second-hand confirmation" would mean getting the information from a person who got the information from somebody else.

I think what you meant to say was confirmation.

boxleitnerb

Platinum Member
Nov 1, 2011
Full screen SGSSAA was selected, not Transparency SSAA:

In most other games you can see the difference very easily, in BF3 not for the reason mentioned.
Is there a location that you would recommend for seeing SGSSAA more clearly? I hate that this game has checkpoints and no free saving :(

blackened23

Diamond Member
Jul 26, 2011
Balla, override settings generally are not compatible with any DX11 title due to the way they are coded. (something to do with deferred shading?) This is true of every title that comes to my head, such as metro 2033, bf3, crysis 2, batman: AC, dragon age 2.

You might be able to get SGSSAA working via nvidia inspector, but I have never had luck getting that working with any DX11 title...I doubt it will work (and if it does, the performance hit will be obnoxious. ).

Personally every DX11 title i've played have a ton of tweaking options, i've never seen a need for any type of override. I only use it mostly in DX11.