Discussion Need recommendation on QUALITY 18650 cells(?) please..

bob4432

Lifer
Sep 6, 2003
I know I am new to the game so I am asking those of you that have been in it for some time to please share your knowledge. I ordered a pair of flashlights - https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B07JQ8CW7T?psc=1&ref=ppx_pop_mob_b_asin_title , a charger - https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B07RGR1Y9P?psc=1&ref=ppx_pop_mob_b_asin_title now what I need are 4 18650 cells (are they called batteries or cells). I would like legit, quality units as I understand these cells are counterfeited on the regular. I would also like versatile cells that have a good amount on storage (thinking 2500mAh - 3500mAh, give or take a bit). Since I am just getting into this, if I made an error, no problem, I can write it off but would only like to write if off just the once.

Please advise me if I have made an error already, or if not, excellent, lets move forward.

Again, if I have made errors, please educate me as to where and why. If things are looking good, could I get a recommendation for 2 cells that are unprotected and 2 that are not.

I appreciate the information that those with the knowledge are about two share with me. My reasongv:h for asking for 2 protected cells and 2 non-protected is just in case the protected cells do not fit.

Thank you in advance for your time and knowledge,
Bob

brainhulk

Diamond Member
Sep 14, 2007
It's been awhile since I've purchased 18650, but the only ones I trusted back then were panasonic or rebrands of panasonic cells. I had to search forums to see what others' experiences were with the non-panasonic cells (let other people be the Guinea pigs) You are right that there are many cheap Chinese knockoff 18650 cells and they are all junk.

Lithium batteries are dangerous. The protection circuit protects the battery against common dangers, such as overcharge, over discharge, short circuit/over current, and temperature. It is also recommended to store them in 18650 battery holders to keep them separated from each other.

Good luck, i did a quick look on Amazon and found no Panasonic cells at all.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
good brand name.
other than that I cant help you.
I use Amazon brand rechargables whenever I can.

skull

Platinum Member
Jun 5, 2000
I used to get panasonics on amazon 2 for $24ish couldn't find them last time I wanted some on there either. Definitely get protected cells. My 18650 headlamp and flashlight are freaking awesome, sure hope I can get more good batteries.

skull

Platinum Member
Jun 5, 2000
Panasonic or Sony. Look for "High Drain" 18650 cells for Vaping Mods.

High drain aren't protected, vapers need them to not hit the overcurrent breaker. Those are the dangerous ones that catch on fire in your pocket when you over discharge them or overcharge them.

skull

Platinum Member
Jun 5, 2000
Even with the protected cells always keep them in something don't walk around with a bare battery in your pocket.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
High drain aren't protected, vapers need them to not hit the overcurrent breaker. Those are the dangerous ones that catch on fire in your pocket when you over discharge them or overcharge them.
Suit yourself, I guess, but 200-250W 'Mods' don't run so well on "regular drain" 18650. ("High Drain" == "High Current / Discharge capacity")

I don't know many people that keep loose 18650 batteries in their pocket, so not even sure that's a hazard that one needs to worry about, but whatever.

Use the correct specification of cells for the correct applications.

skull

Platinum Member
Jun 5, 2000
Suit yourself, I guess, but 200-250W 'Mods' don't run so well on "regular drain" 18650. ("High Drain" == "High Current / Discharge capacity")

I don't know many people that keep loose 18650 batteries in their pocket, so not even sure that's a hazard that one needs to worry about, but whatever.

Use the correct specification of cells for the correct applications.

Like I said protected cells have overcurrent protection vape pens draw too much at once and trip protected cells. Were talking about flashlights so no need for high drain.

Aren't you the guy that never leaves his house if so I could see why you wouldn't have a need to put one in your pocket. Happened to a guy on one of the contracting forums I visit he was running an unprotected cell, overcharged it, threw it in his pocket to put it in his flashlight when he got in the house he was working on but the thing burned a giant hole in his leg requiering surgery before he got to the flashlight.

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
When I was vaping I was using Samsung or LG cells. One of them hadn't been touched for a few months, I wanted to have a spare handy for my flashlight so I threw it in the charger and it was still nearly full.

clamum

Lifer
Feb 13, 2003
I've used 18650 batteries but I believe only for vaping. My Nitecore flashlight in my car emergency kit *might* be 18650 but I'll have to wait until after work to confirm.

I have a Tenergy 2600mAh 3.7v battery that's been fine as well as a couple others that don't have a manufacturer on them, they just say 3000mAh.

I'd think if you stick with the bigger names (Sony, Tenergy, Panasonic, etc) you should be fine.

I think I've ordered from 18650 Battery Store before, else Amazon has some too.

EliteRetard

Diamond Member
Mar 6, 2006
For good unprotected cells, these are the two I know of:

LG MJ1 3500mAh 10a (better for devices at/below 7 amp draw, 2900-3100mAh at 3v cutoff)

LG HG2 3000mAh 20a (better for devices between 10-15 amp draw, 2600-2800mAh at 3v cutoff)

I don't use 18650 much, so I haven't kept up on the latest/greatest (these batteries are like 5+ years old).
There may be better batteries now, especially for anything pulling more than 15 amps.

If you care to spend the time, you can look at other reviews on that forum I've linked, it's a good resource.

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
The only 18650's I buy...

a bit more expensive, but I have two of them that have been in regular use for 4 years.

bob4432

Lifer
Sep 6, 2003
I greatly appreciate the responses, Thank You All.

Moving forward, I will be using the 18650s in flashlights - I live in PHX, AZ which means it is full blown scorpion season.

I will need the 18650s with the protection on them for flashlights for the scorpions (and also on firearms).

Anybody have any other outlets for quality, legit units in the 2500-3000+mAh range? It is not the suggestions you have given me I do not appreciate, I am just looking for the best bang for the buck.

Also, us the charger I chose "OK" for what I am wanting to do?

Thank you in advance for your time,
Bob

bob4432

Lifer
Sep 6, 2003
Another question I had was how many A can a protected 18650 put out out? This question comes more from the light that will go on the firearms I own,which the lights at least, are vastky overpriced, but their famous tagline of "how much is you life worth to you and you loved ones" is a line you hard line you have wanting to skimp on.

Hopefully the last question - being I live in PHX, AZ, the summer temps can be blistering, l mean serious blistering, like if you are not use to it dead blistering and since the themps have shot up so quick, not many people have been able to acclimate so quickly, and mixed with COVID-19 only the extreme of extreme to athletes, so the top 1%, maybe 5%ers will be able to make itoff the trails without the trails without the assistance of the PHX FD Rescue Team to get them off whatever trail they choose to be on to have the slightest chance of living, needless to say during these years when the mercury is beingng pushened beyond it's limits (and we usually do not max out temp wise till mid June or so followed by a by a nasty 'mobsoon' soeason) what batteries are going to be able to be pushesd into the relentless heat, and at at night to, when I was working nights, I got to work @ 2300 and it was still 115F and many datmts during the summer it will will be wee over 100F till about 0600 or sometime around around there.

I personally just do not 3mA letting info my many pantsf pocket.

So can you all that have been so hopefully thus far shed a bitt of lite on the times when the scorpions are looking to get foot get cooked and we just don't whan to get pumped of so some of the most potent neurotoxin around?

Appreciate the info thus far and hope it keeps on coming as my my wife is abaflactice, so I need to see what Scorpion neurotoxin does on a person with that condition ☠️ 👎.

As always, info is greatly appreciated,
Bob