Need recommendation of 2.1 setup for DJ audio listening (USB DAC - DF Cobalt setup)

fire400

Diamond Member
Nov 21, 2005
Hello!!

Seeking direction from the audiophile/pro-audio experts, or anyone with experience on 2.1 speaker setups.

There is too much stuff out there to try and research everything, so I am sincerely asking if anyone has tried and experienced an amazing 2.1 audio speaker setup that I can just purchase without needing to worry about sound quality issues and avoiding mostly, an un-configurable preset-DSP variation speaker profile.

Why I am upgrading: Just need to better elevate to some, slight extra level of clarity and sound quality without compromising true sound to ear, but still remain audibly amazing, and decently priced.

= = =

Requested Pricing: Under $1,000, preferably $500 (can spend more, this is just a target price range)

Replacing current speaker setup: Klipsch ProMedia 2.1 THX [3.5mm] ($100)
-Keeping everything except for the Klipsch ProMedia 2.1 THX speakers

Equipment: Windows pre-Win10 legacy laptops > USB DAC - DragonFly Cobalt + Jitterbug [3.5mm out] > ZMX 122FX mixer > TRS-1/4" output > 2.1 speakers

= = =

=What is the use?
-Primary Use #1: Listening to music from All genre's, any file type
-Primary Use #2: DJ event mixing, various and all file types
-Other Uses: Some film watching and listening to audio courses

=Requested Requirements:
-Need a higher quality 2.1 setup to simulate live environments to other DJ performances
-No strong pre-applied EQ-DSP that distorts audio listening
-Does not need Bluetooth, and won't use it if product comes with it
-TRS or RCA input is fine, but can work with 3.5mm
-Book shelf speakers are fine, with sub
-Prefer plug-and play- No overly complex calibration(s) needed; ready to go - out of box; tweak set volume, etc. and speaker unit placements only

Tried:
-EDIFIER S350DB 2.1 > can't disable EQ DSP (it's preset, returned it)
-USB DAC - Onyx ($200) > DragonFly series are far more balanced with all audio types and different speaker setups, and Onyx is stuck on Win10 only
-Own V-Moda headphones, but used rarely, only when needing to listen to some difficult-to mix-samples, or when mixing tracks at events/performances

--> Thanks in advance, please just post what you like and have seen, and recommendations of any kind.
Any input of thoughts and advice, will help me tremendously!

fire400

Diamond Member
Nov 21, 2005
Thanks for the suggestions.

Any thoughts on this one?
Prime Satellite 2.1 System

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
Not a fan of the 2.1 systems at all. I didn't see anything about crossover for that SVS set.

Last edited:
Reactions: fire400

fire400

Diamond Member
Nov 21, 2005
Not a fan of the 2.1 systems at all. I didn't see anything about crossover for that SVS set.

ok good point, I noticed XLR inputs, which is generally favorable in the latter 2 mentions of your first post.

what do you think of Mackie CR (entry) or MR (mid-level) series products, for cross over with the sub and speakers?

Note: not necessarily looking for massive, shaking bass, just bass-review accuracy from a preferred dedicated subwoofer and 2 separate L and R speakers, with good adjustable cross-over.

Skipping the SVS setups for sure, because it's geared towards more home theater, whereas I'm interested more in pro-audio which you seem to understand, already.

Clean cross-over is important because I'm simulating sound experience to this setup, that I already own:
EV ETX-12P speakers (x2)
QSC KS212C K sub (x1) > handles the cross-over

Last edited:

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
ok good point, I noticed XLR inputs, which is generally favorable in the latter 2 mentions of your first post.

what do you think of Mackie CR (entry) or MR (mid-level) series products, for cross over with the sub and speakers?

Note: not necessarily looking for massive, shaking bass, just bass-review accuracy from a preferred dedicated subwoofer and 2 separate L and R speakers, with good adjustable cross-over.

Skipping the SVS setups for sure, because it's geared towards more home theater, whereas I'm interested more in pro-audio which you seem to understand, already.

Clean cross-over is important because I'm simulating sound experience to this setup, that I already own:
EV ETX-12P speakers (x2)
QSC KS212C K sub (x1) > handles the cross-over

Like I said, two 8" should provide enough oomph. The Tannoy Gold 8 has 300W RMS amp for EACH speaker. You don't need more than that lol.
KRK Rokit 8 is 203W RMS.

Go to the 5" lineup if you want to use a separate sub. But then you'll have to figure out XOver for both channels and feed both to the sub. You are not doing production so I don't see you needing to get to all that.

Last edited:

fire400

Diamond Member
Nov 21, 2005
Okay, good point with the RMS perspective.

I was looking at this sub which has probably the best cross-over controls and bass control module, offering Level modification instead of just controlling "volume" like some of the other subs;

>Yamaha HS8 Studio Subwoofer

Don't like the quality control of Mackie products, so will be completely avoiding them.

Of the two you mentioned regardless of price, Tannoy Gold 8 or KRK Rokit 8, which controls do you like better, the HF, or the digital menu, and will the digital menu be of any advantage? (none of which I will be tweaking much because I will be using the mixer primarily to adjust EQ when needed)
I like the XLR input sockets on both of the speakers.
Leaning more towards the Tannoy, because not a fan of digital DSP's unless the KRK product has stellar QC-QA in manufacturing.
KRK has a 5" speaker as well.

Is this a good speaker?
-YAMAHA HS8 Studio Monitor, Black, 8 Inch
(https://gearspace.com/board/low-end-theory/1287327-anything-better-than-hs8-money.html)

You think the Yamaha will pair well with these speakers?

Last edited:

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
Yamahas are nice as well. I love the Tannoy sound though. The dual concentric driver is a good fit for near field duty.

Rokit is the budget line of KRK so get used gear if you are looking for higher end.

You should really go to a pro shop and listen to them. What I like may not match what you like. I do love the ribbon tweeter on Adam speakers.

Gearspace is also a much better place yo ask than here. I am not in that industry so limited exposure to gears.

A good sub to me starts at 1k lol. It's better to put the money into the speakers than putting part of your budget into a subpar sub.

If you are handy you can build a sonosub.

Last edited:

fire400

Diamond Member
Nov 21, 2005
Found this in Minnesota -
Used ADAM Audio A8X Pair Powered Monitor ($900)
Is this good?

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
Found this in Minnesota -
Used ADAM Audio A8X Pair Powered Monitor ($900)
Is this good?

quick question, do you have pro shop nearby? you really should listen to speakers before buying them. Assuming the speakers are in good condition, that is a good price.

I don't know about the condition for the pair you are referencing. here is another pair just so you can compare.

fire400

Diamond Member
Nov 21, 2005
MN-TC Metro, yes, there are a few.
Yes, that's it, same listing, as Guitar Center in Minnesota.
I suppose they have a partnership with Guitar Center's website as well.

I'll test them at that store today, if they haven't sold yet.

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
MN-TC Metro, yes, there are a few.
Yes, that's it, same listing, as Guitar Center in Minnesota.
I suppose they have a partnership with Guitar Center's website as well.

I'll test them at that store today, if they haven't sold yet.

listen to other monitors they have on display as well. Your taste is what is important.

fire400

Diamond Member
Nov 21, 2005
Used ADAM Audio A8X Pair Powered Monitor (pair, $900)

Got these at $1090 with MN tax and 3-yr accidental (repair replacement reimbursement) plan [45-day return policy]

Testing it now in my studio on DragonFly Cobalt DAC, and they sound better than every studio monitor in the GC demo room

The bass at regular settings alone on these, is much stronger than what I anticipated without a dedicated sub.

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
From my limited experience for dj'ing type purposes, try to avoid a sub and just get good speakers. Subs are great for home theater systems and yes, music too, but not in a dj'ing environment.

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
From my limited experience for dj'ing type purposes, try to avoid a sub and just get good speakers. Subs are great for home theater systems and yes, music too, but not in a dj'ing environment.

He already bought Adam A8X xd

I met Busbee in 2018 on the set of a reality tv show. I just learned today he passed away in 2019 from brain cancer :(

IMG_20171003_112358.jpg

Last edited: