Need new PC looking to spend 1k-1.2k

rhit90

Apr 27, 2006
hola I'm bout to buy a new pc and I was wonder the best way to get the most performance for my buck.

I was thinking about a mid range type gaming rig that'll last a year or two. I searched new egg and I found this:http://www.newegg.com/Product/...x?Item=N82E16883227059

I also went over to the Dell webiste and built something similiar for like maybe a little cheaper. Was wonder if the machine I looked at was worth its price, and if anyone has a better solution the help would be much appreciated.

Any help would be very much appreciated.

DSF

Diamond Member
Oct 6, 2007
Can I ask why building your own isn't an option?

That computer's not a terrible deal, but it's not a particularly good one. You can always search the components yourself to find out exactly how much they go for.

rhit90

Apr 27, 2006
Dun know how =/

Well buying the case and getting everything in the darn thing wouldn't be hard. I just have ZERO experience loading up software or anything like that. Also I don't have too much time to do this.

DSF

Diamond Member
Oct 6, 2007
It's really not difficult, but if you don't want to get into it then don't worry about it. It just tends to be the most cost-effective way to do things for a good gaming PC. Do you have a link to what you built at Dell? There are some other websites out there like CyberPowerPC, but I have no idea what their pricing and customer service are like. I've never used them, so I can't recommend them.

rhit90

Apr 27, 2006
My Dell configuration

Didn't pick up a monitor on that at all. Was gonna go look into monitors at some other places cause its easier to get a deal on them.

As for building its not that I don't want to get into it....its just that loading up the Bios and the rest of the software I'm not familiar with. Also I said that I'm gonna be busy looking for a job and getting ready to take my boards. So I got a ton of studying to do and running around. What my original plan was is to buy a machine and use my old one as a guinnea pig to get experience on.

Thanks for the replies tho I appreciate it.

Shoot try this one
Try this one last link did show you my selections

DSF

Diamond Member
Oct 6, 2007
Just as a comparison, here's what could be done with $800:

Motherboard: Gigabyte EP35-DS3L
($90)

CPU: Intel E8400
($200)

RAM: 2x2GB Mushkin DDR2-800
($84)

Video Card: XFX 8800GT 512MB
($150 after rebate)

Hard Drive: Samsung Spinpoint F1 750GB or WD Caviar 640GB
($120 or $115)

DVD Drive: Samsung SH203B DVD Burner
($27)

Case: Coolermaster Centurion 5
($50)

PSU: Corsair 520HX
($80 after rebate)

That all comes out to $801 counting the rebates, but not counting shipping. You'd also need to throw in an OS, but it still comes out below the price of the Dell and you're getting a better machine. (The hard drive will be faster and twice as large, you're getting a little bit more RAM, and the PSU probably has more room for future upgrades.)

On the flipside, the Dell comes with a 1-year warranty and everything is all set up for you. The Dell's not a terrible deal, it just comes down to the fact that you're paying them for their service. If you have any kind of Dell coupon or credit, it's a decent buy.

rhit90

Apr 27, 2006
Thanks for the input fellas.

Wanted to know though. Would you recommend the E8400 or the E7200? I don't really plan on OC'n anything in there so I dunno.

Should I buy extra fans or cooling systems if I wanted to build?

Thx for the outlet link. Not a bad looking place for some deals. And yes the coupon does work until Monday.

chinaman1472

Nov 20, 2007
Depends on the price. You probably won't really notice the difference 95% of the time.
The E8400 retails for about $190-200 now. The E7200 goes for about $130-140; about a $50-70 difference in most cases. If it's gonna cost you anymore than that in the Dell system, I'd stick with the E7200 and put the cash towards something else in life. If it's gonna cost you that or less, I'd probably go with the E8400 if it's within budget.

Roguestar

Diamond Member
Aug 29, 2006
Depending on whether or not you're willing to take the plunge and buy it yourself, you should decide between an XPS and a graphics card you buy, or buy the whole thing.

FYI: It's not nearly as complicated or difficult computer-tech types make it out to be; it's impossible to put RAM in a graphics card slot, for example. We just pretend it's complex to safeguard our jobs :p. Check out the sticky at the top of the forum for a link to mechBgon's computer-building guide. Whilst a little outdated, it's 99% the same with new hardware.