Need input of people that went from PC to console for FPS shooters.

zanemoseley

Feb 27, 2011
I was an on and off PC gamer in the late 90's up through about 2015, my favorites were FPS like Doom, Quake, Unreal, Max Payne, Borderlands and a crap ton of CSGO. Haven't played any games in the last 5 years partly due to my aging gaming rig, just never made the leap to a new rig and now it's $2k for something like I'd want.

So I'm considering just getting a new Xbox or PS5 so I can at least play some of the big titles I missed like Doom Eternal and kill some time over the winter. My worry is I haven't played really any console FPS's except Goldeneye back in the day on my N64. I'm concerned I won't be able to adapt to double joysticks for movement.

So for those of you that went from KB/mouse to a console controller how bad was it adapting?

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
Every time I tried FPS games on a console, it was bad enough that I decided I'd rather just play something else fairly quickly. No idea how long it takes to actually adapt, and I didn't have any real incentive to do so.
Yeah, this is a rough time for upgrading, I went for a middling card in my last build in 2018, figuring I'd upgrade in 2-3 years 😬

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
I was an on and off PC gamer in the late 90's up through about 2015, my favorites were FPS like Doom, Quake, Unreal, Max Payne, Borderlands and a crap ton of CSGO. Haven't played any games in the last 5 years partly due to my aging gaming rig, just never made the leap to a new rig and now it's $2k for something like I'd want.

So I'm considering just getting a new Xbox or PS5 so I can at least play some of the big titles I missed like Doom Eternal and kill some time over the winter. My worry is I haven't played really any console FPS's except Goldeneye back in the day on my N64. I'm concerned I won't be able to adapt to double joysticks for movement.

So for those of you that went from KB/mouse to a console controller how bad was it adapting?

I played PC FPS from like 20 years old until about 4 years ago, and I'm 46 now. Goldeneye was the last FPS I played as well on a console, in my teen years. That was it.

So twenty plus years of gaming not using a controller And then my now ex fiancee who I met was a console gamer. So I bought a PS4Pro and I couldn't get used to the console sticks and didn't have the time to invest in re-training all my muscles at 42 years old but I wanted to play with her. So I got a XIM Apex. We played some stuff together, and in the meantime I met some other cool gamers on PS4 and we became gaming buddies. So now I am just mostly a console gamer as we still play together, plus a $500 console is much cheaper than a 2K graphics card, which by the time we broke up, crypto had made cards a rip off. I supposed one could try to get used to the sticks but it could take quite a bit of practice depending on the indivdual.

The XIM translates the controller movements for a mouse and keyboard and works very well in most games, though not all. Some games are limited due to a slow turn speed (Halo) which just means you can't do flick movements like you can in BF or COD, so you have to play a bit different - when you want to do a 180 you have to sweep the mouse across the pad much slower than you would in those other games. Other games just have really shitty coding, such as I think one of the newer Rainbow Six, so the aim just feels wonky with the XIM. The forums are very active and the owner and employees respond regularly and tweak the software to adjust to game updates and patches that may affect the aiming mechanics. For now the XIM Apex works great with the PS4 but not the PS5 - that is a work in progress and some say inevitable but it will require another 3rd party solution. It works well with the new Xboxes though, which is where I use mine. I can vouch for working well with the PS4 as well.

The XIM is not in stock and will not be anytime soon due to the supply chain issues. They may come out with a batch next year at some point. But you can find them on the used or secondary market, just for much higher than MSRP. Not sure what is worth it to you, but you definitely can really enjoy FPS with a mouse and keyboard using that device with a lot of FPS games. They have a thread with a list of the supported games on the forums.

Each game that comes out needs a software translator that they create for that game. It takes about 1-2 weeks after a game's release for the XIM guys to release a translator for it. It downloads to the XIM app on your phone and from there goes onto the XIM where you tweak the settings to your liking. It's a pretty seamless process and quite easy to do. The whole system is user friendly if you have any tech savviness at all.

zanemoseley

Feb 27, 2011
Thanks for the info. Was thinking of putting the Xbox in a bedroom where I'd have to play laying on the bed, might be awkward getting a keyboard and mouse setup. Guess I've got some thinking to do.

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
Thanks for the info. Was thinking of putting the Xbox in a bedroom where I'd have to play laying on the bed, might be awkward getting a keyboard and mouse setup. Guess I've got some thinking to do.
That definitely changes things a bit. My Xbox sits on my desk where I use my desktop. It's a big desk, and my desktop sits on the floor as well. I use a USB switcher to change the mouse and keyboard to the xim Apex/xbox and game away.

There is another translator out there, but last I did research, the xim was noticeably better. The other does not use specially trained translators for each game, it's a one size fits all product from what I understand, so just not as good.

The xim guys are coming out with another product this year that will also work with a console and let you use motion to help control aiming. Some early testers have said that they can't play as well with it as if with mouse and keyboard if that is your main interface, but it's fun, engaging and much more intuitive for them than two sticks. They play well enough with ease to keep the games fun.

That one is already in production, the parts are already sourced for it. So at worst it might have delivery delays, but it's getting made. Whereas making more of the Apex is completely not scheduled yet.

This product seems like it would work for you sitting on a bed. It's called the xim Nexus

zanemoseley

Feb 27, 2011
That actually sounds pretty fun. Aiming is pretty intuitive with my family's Oculus so could see using the same thing working with the controllers sensors. If I'm 80% as good as I am on KB/M I would be thrilled, if I'm 20% as good maybe not so much. The looking/aiming part is what I was worried about the most and that would solve that.

SteveGrabowski

Diamond Member
Oct 20, 2014
Is your rig from 2015? A 4770K+970 would definitely be able to play Doom Eternal.

Yeah Gamegpu.ru has it averaging 62 fps with a low of 56 fps at ultra nightmare settings on an RX 570, which is right in line with a stock reference GTX 970. Though wouldn't need a 4770k, even a Haswell i3 should be enough to get 60 fps too.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
Eh, you adapt pretty quickly. I gamed on PC for a while with FPS too and switching to console took some getting used to but again, you get used to it.

And since it's just a fact you can't be as accurate with a controller as you can with a mouse, they design the controls around that and have little things in there that help with aiming (in most FPS games on console).

That said, I've been over FPS games for over a decade now and haven't played one in that long, so maybe things have changed lol.

quikah

Diamond Member
Apr 7, 2003
Single player games are fine. Multiplayer FPS games I don't usually play on console, but you can adapt. Don't use the Xim with multiplayer FPS unless it is explicitly supported by the game as that is pretty much cheating.

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
Single player games are fine. Multiplayer FPS games I don't usually play on console, but you can adapt. Don't use the Xim with multiplayer FPS unless it is explicitly supported by the game as that is pretty much cheating.
I wouldn't use a xim competitively but I use it on casual console fps multiplayer games. You can actually use mouse and keyboard for multiple games by plugging right into consoles now. BF2042 is cross platform, so is Halo infinite and Apex legends. All the FPS I play on Xbox there are PC players in the lobbies so what's the difference. I keep crossplay on. Everybody is playing everybody now. I turn off aim assist when I use the xim.

Not having 120hz in battlefield on consoles when pc gamers have 144hz is where the advantage is.

Last edited:

zanemoseley

Feb 27, 2011
I emailed XIM about the Nexus release, no release date but they said "soon".

My pc is ancient, like 2011 I think, it's a i5 2500k and a mid tier Geforce of the same age. Would almost hate to play it with the settings bottomed out.

zanemoseley

Feb 27, 2011
Yeah I supposed Goldeneye kind of dates me lol. I also worked at Blockbuster when I was in HS for a bit over a year in their prime. I remember taking my work shirt off at lunch and playing the Star Wars Episode I Podracer game on the N64 demo they had in store. Also remember going from 56k to cable internet, was so excited.

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
My oldest son likes new shooters, and he had me play the latest Doom on his Xbox.

You have things coming at you from every direction non-stop, along with what seems like a million combos (kind of like mashing Doom with Serious Sam and Mortal Kombat' 3's crazy combo memorization).

I played one level and was like "I'm done". :p

Commodus

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 2004
Yeah I supposed Goldeneye kind of dates me lol. I also worked at Blockbuster when I was in HS for a bit over a year in their prime. I remember taking my work shirt off at lunch and playing the Star Wars Episode I Podracer game on the N64 demo they had in store. Also remember going from 56k to cable internet, was so excited.

I'd suggest Destiny 2 as a good console shooter for someone in your case.

As a general rule, the game rewards tactical thinking most of all. Fast reflexes definitely help, but even in competitive multiplayer the winner is usually the person who had the right weapon/ability and the best situational awareness (do I have the positional advantage? Am I making myself a difficult target?). You don't need to be a 16-year-old who games four hours a day to stand a chance.

And in fighting the AI? It only really, truly gets twitch-happy when you play challenges that are designed to be hard, like raids or Nightfall strikes. Find the right buddies and those missions will be easier.

The best bit is that D2 is free to play for the base game, so you can get a feel for it before you decide to invest. It's worth buying the yearly expansions if you enjoy the experience.

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
I emailed XIM about the Nexus release, no release date but they said "soon".

My pc is ancient, like 2011 I think, it's a i5 2500k and a mid tier Geforce of the same age. Would almost hate to play it with the settings bottomed out.

Cool. Hope you can get your hands on one. I did read a post in the forum from someone who is testing the prototypes out and he sounded really honest - if you are use to M&KB it won't be as accurate but will be accurate enough to still be fun. The company has great customer service if you have any issues.