GamerPatriot

Jan 14, 2014
My anti-virus keeps getting turned off by something on my computer. I restart it over and over and even still I can't turn it back on. I know something is on my computer doing it by Norton's scans can't find anything even in safe mode. I try to do a system restore but it doesn't go back further enough before the problem started.

Every now and then the command prompt window pops up with lines of code for a millisecond. Is there anyway to find the problem or should I invest in a different anti-virus software?

Harvey

Administrator<br>Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Many viruses defeat installed anti-malware software. If one of them has infected your machine, it probabably won't allow you to install any other AV software, but you can try.

Some viruses will try to trick you by allowing you to do what looks like an update of their definitions, but if you look at thejlast date, it may not actually have advanced the date or ID number of the current definitions.

What AV are you using? .You can try to re-install it or download another one, but if you're infected, it may already be too late for that.

My personal favorite is the free version of Avast. Others may prefer another and/or have other suggestions.

The really sure way to get rid of infections is to re-install Windows from the ground up. If you do that, consider installing it on another drive. Once you've got it installed and updated and installed a new round of AV and anti-spyware, you can try to rescue your old files by booting up, AFTER it's already booted and protected, connecting your current drive as a slave, and sweeping it for malware.

If you REALLY want to be safe, consider buying another drive the same size as your current drive (or larger), and regularly clone your drive immediately after each successful anti-malware sweep and before installing any new software.

"Cloning" a drive creates a fully running, bootable clone of your hard drive. That is, it makes an exact, running duplicate of your hard drive. If your main drive fails, the cloned image can directly replace the old drive, or it can be used to reload everything, including your operating files, on a new drive without re-installing the system or your programs. If your hard drive fails or becomes irreparably infected, or a new software installation goes south, it WILL save your butt. There is good, free cloning software available.

Good luck.

chemwiz

Mar 8, 2000
Try running some detection/cleanup tools. My first one is usually TDSSKILLER.EXE from Kaspersky, then ComboFix, jrt.exe and adwcleaner from bleepingcomputer.com. You can also get a trial version of Hitman Pro from surfright.nl (activate it as a trial version and it'll clean up whatever it finds). BitDefender has a free antivirus that's pretty decent and very light overhead, and Avira free with heuristics set on high is a good free AV. Kaspersky is still the number one AV in my book, so if you get your computer cleaned up you can install the 30 day trial version and see how it works for you.

MustISO

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
I would suggest using the Kaspersky offline rescue disc. That will typically find any infections that can be hidden while in Windows. You could also try booting to safe mode with networking and download Malwarebytes and do a full scan.

Fallen Kell

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
You need to use something like MustISO stated, a CD/DVD that you boot from that has the latest antivirus/malware detection and cleanup software installed on it and have it scan your system to clean up the infection(s).

Scarinx

Jan 19, 2014
Before the problem escalates back up important files and sweep for bugs when importing on the new computer

Harvey

Administrator<br>Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
If you sweep your drive with any anti-malware program, and it finds something, don't forget to turn off System Restore, and reboot the system. Don't just delete all but the last restore point. Viruses and other malware often hide some of their elements in them, and they can return at a later time.

Once you're sure the drive is clean, you can turn it back on.