Need Help with Norton Ghost

sfreeman

Feb 7, 2001
I have always backed my laptop hard drive by removing it from the laptop and ataching it to my desktop with an adopter. I then created a Ghost image file. From time to time I test the restore by imaging back to a spare hard drive. On the desktop, I would always have to set the bios to either CHS or LBA (I forgot which) for the laptop hard drive, in order for the laptop to boot. I now have a desktop that does not offer the option to change the hard drive setting in the bios. Does anyone know what to do?
Thanks..

rm_dimns

Aug 23, 2010
What are you gonna do with that? Clone it? You don't need to clone it if you want to back it up.

RaiderJ

Diamond Member
Apr 29, 2001
For laptops I've always booted Clonezilla off a CD or USB, then backed up to a USB drive. It's free, so maybe give that a shot?

Laputa

Golden Member
Jan 18, 2000
Clonezilla can get the job done, but doesn't always do everything perfectly. If you keep everything in LBA, it should be fine.

sfreeman

Feb 7, 2001
Thanks guys, changing the BIOS setting on my spare desktop to LBA resolved the problem.
I will also try CLONEzilla

corkyg

Elite Member | Peripherals
Super Moderator
Mar 4, 2000
Clonezill works, and also Casper (the friendly ghost.) I use this set up for my laptop - fast and no need to remove the laptop HDD.

http://pics.bbzzdd.com/users/Corky-G/Vantec3.jpg

It's even easier with my new T510 - it has a built in eSATA port so I don't need to use the Express adapter.