Need help with Computer upgrade!! Voodoo5, Athlon 1Ghz, Abit KT7

eburness

Dec 29, 2000
Hey there,
My current setup is a Celeron 300a overclocked to 466mhz, V3 3K AGP, 20.5 GB HD, 128MB PC100 CAS2 SDRAM, Abit BX6 rev 2.0, win98 (soon to be win2K). I want to upgarde my system and I've got about $500 to do so. I was thinking of addin the following components...
1.) Abit KT7 mobo + $122
2.) AMD Athlon 1Ghz + $174
3.) 3dfx Voodoo5 5500 AGP + $167 --> = $463

Is this a good use of the available cash? My biggest issue is whether the V5 card is a good upgarde choice, seeing as how 3dfx just went under. I appreciate Glide compatibility (running N64 emulator, UT, etc.), and I'm a big proponent of FSAA in a lot of cases b/c I play a lot of Direct3D games (which really take advantage of FSAA). 3dfx has the best FSAA anyway. The games I mostly play are QuakeIII, Unreal Tournament, Serious Sam, and StarWars:Rogue Squadron. The V5 is not the fastest, but it is still very fast. Not to mention the fact that it would have a Ghz CPU behind it. The doubts I have a/b the V5 are a lack of hardware T&L and the idea that some much better chipset will come out ina 4 months that will make me wonder why I bought a card now.

Anyway, if anyone can help me out I'd be very appreciative. Thanks a lot you guys.

-EBurness :)

Kitros

Golden Member
May 6, 2000
ever consider the radeon? How about DDR, as it would be more useful to you than hardware t&l, considering no games realy use it, and I believe won't. I've played my same games for 3 years now... so I have a video card that I know works with all of them, not the new stuff... btu lo and behold, my video card works with every game, so it really doesn't matter... however, I personally don't like the V5 compared to geforce and radeons. I see much more use out of the radeons hardware dvd than i do out of hardware fsaa or t&l!

micron

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
I heard there wasn't going to be any new drivers for 3dfx cards after febuary.

Shockwave

Banned
Sep 16, 2000
The Voodoo is goin' away....So I wouldnt recommend one since driver support is gonna go with it.....But the ATI is a sweet sweet vid card, might wanna take a look at it...

micron

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
You also might want to get an MSI K7T PRO2-A. That's what I ordered last week.

LXi

Diamond Member
Apr 18, 2000
I would get the MSI K7T Pro2A over the KT7, because its cheaper and higher quality. If you are to get a V5, wait a couple of weeks you'll see some huge pricecuts. I dont think anyone should be afraid of their driver support, because their current drivers are already final, tweaked to max, and with little incompatibility issues. Voodoo5 will serve you great from now til next generation.