Need help with AA/AF in Oblivion

Shadowmage

Golden Member
Aug 26, 2004
I got an X1900GT. I've installed the CCC, WDM, and the 6.5 Chuck Drivers.

However, even if I force 4xAA/8xAF in CCC (or ATI Tool or ATI Tray), Oblivion looks like it's still not being filtered properly (as in it looks like there's 0xAA/0xAF).

Anyone got any ideas?

hardwareking

May 19, 2006
Maybe its a buggy card.Try enabling AA from ingame(if thats even possible)
As for AF try playing the game with 0AA but 16HQ AF.First play with nothing.Then do what i told u.U'll surely notice the difference if the HQ AF is working the way it's supposed to.Then apply AA and check if jaggies are getting reduced.
I think i'll put this case down to bad drivers.Uninstall and do a clean install.Or get something like the omega drivers and try if what i first suggested doesn't work.
Good luck.

imported_Crusader

Feb 12, 2006
Chuck is an unsupported 3rd party hack not from Bethesda. Any issues you have with it are not going to be supported. You are probably out of luck on this one.

Shadowmage

Golden Member
Aug 26, 2004
Are you kidding me? Chuck hack came straight from ATI.

Anyways, the problem is not just AA, it's also AF.

Sable

Golden Member
Jan 7, 2006
Originally posted by: Shadowmage
Are you kidding me? Chuck hack came straight from ATI.

Anyways, the problem is not just AA, it's also AF.
Ignore Crusader. He's just upset his precious NV cards can't do HDR and AA in Oblivion and loves it when ATI cards have problems with it. ;)

Exsomnis

Banned
Nov 21, 2005
Originally posted by: Crusader
Chuck is an unsupported 3rd party hack not from Bethesda. Any issues you have with it are not going to be supported. You are probably out of luck on this one.
What a moron, lol.

LittleNemoNES

Diamond Member
Oct 7, 2005
I think you most likely did not fully uninstall the old drivers. These are the complete procedures (NOTICE THE OEM PART, ESPECIALLY)

Also, Catalyst AI must be enabled for HDR and AA to work

"1. Go into the Control Panel and under the ADD/REMOVE SOFTWARE icon uninstall the ATI MultiMedia software and/or the ATI DVD software.

2. Uninstall the ATI drivers also found in the Add/Remove section. Once removed, it will prompt you to reboot....select NO.

3. In Device Manager, uninstall the display adapter. Select NO if it asks you to reboot.

4. Search for files called oem*.inf containing ATI Technologies ; you should find a few files named, for example, oem0.inf, oem1.inf. Open them and double check that they acctually contain ATI Technologies in them. Delete them. note: if windows search comes up with no results go into tools->folder options->view and untick the "hide extensions for known file types" and search again

5. Search for files called oem*.pnf. Delete the ones that have the same file names as the oem*.inf files you deleted in step 4. Example: If you deleted oem2.inf in step 4, now delete oem2.pnf.

6. Reboot.

7. When returning to Windows, the NEW HARDWARE FOUND wizard will come up and will tell you that it has found a new VGA card and will prompt you for drivers. Hit CANCEL!

8. Now, go to START - SEARCH - FOR FILES OR FOLDERS and do a search for all files and folders on your windows installation drive using the filename ati*.*
Delete all the files except ones that are located in a .cab file and ones whose path includes a folder called ReinstallBackups (you may not have any of these, don't worry). Now go to your Recycle Bin and Empty your bin.

9. Next...time to go to your Registry. Go to START -- RUN -- regedit

Here go to key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE -- SYSTEM -- ControlSet001 -- Control -- Video . Here there should be 4 entries. 3 of them are default Windows XP entries and the 4th one is put in by the ATI drivers. Expand each one by one until you see ATI entries. Once found, erase the entire key.

Now repeat the same step above for the ControlSet002 key and the CurrentControlSet Key. Normally, whenever you erase a key in the ControlSet001, XP automatically deletes it in the CurrentControlSet section too. So if the ATI key is not found in the CurrentControlSet section, don't worry about it.
Once all keys are deleted, proceed to the next step.

10. While still in the registry, go to the key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE -- SOFTWARE section. Here you should find an ATI Technologies key. Select it and delete it. In that same section, look for an Installed Options key. Expand it and there you should find another ATI Technologies key. Select it and erase it.

11. Still in the registry, go to HKEY_CURRENT_USER -- Software and there you should find another ATI technologies key. Select it and erase it. Once all this is done, close the registry. the registry is now clean.

12. Close all windows and reboot.

13. When in windows after the reboot the NEW HARDWARE FOUND WIZARD will pop up again. Cancel that. Now find the new ATI drivers that you have downloaded. Extract them and run the SETUP file (or just run the .exe). Once complete, reboot and you are done. You may want to reinstall your ATI MMC software and DVD software if you use them. You can the latest ones at the ATi website ( http://www.ati.com ). DONE!

-Courtesy of mad_Hattah"

LittleNemoNES

Diamond Member
Oct 7, 2005
Originally posted by: Shadowmage
I'll try this, but couldn't you just do Driver Cleaner instead?
yes BUT also the oem part is important. Driver Cleaner always leaves these for me. Open each one and see if the word ATI is in there. If it is, then delete.

josh6079

Diamond Member
Mar 17, 2006
Here's what I do and I have yet to have problems with AF/AA/HDR settings:

1)Uninstall ALL ATI things from Control Panel/Add & Remove Hardware.

2)Reboot your computer, IN SAFE MODE.

3)While in SAFE MODE, run Driver Cleaner Pro. (Select just ATI and it should clean all ATI related files)

4)Reboot after cleaning, and enter normally.

5)Ignore XP's "Found New Hardware" (Hit cancel button) and install the ATI driver first.

6)Reboot normally

7)After reboot, install the Chuck Patch.

8)Reboot

And your done. The AA has to be forced through Tray Tools or CCC. Through the game leave AA set to "None".

just my method and $.02

BFG10K

Lifer
Aug 14, 2000
Just curious, do they work if you enable them from Oblivion? It may be that Catalyst AI requires those functions enabled through the game.

LittleNemoNES

Diamond Member
Oct 7, 2005
Originally posted by: BFG10K
Just curious, do they work if you enable them from Oblivion? It may be that Catalyst AI requires those functions enabled through the game.

You enable HDR from Oblivion launcher and AA from CCC. However, josh made a small mistake. You have to Install the chuck 6.5 drivers only. Not in addition to Cat 6.5.

Also download the WDM drivers and CCC 6.5. That should set you straight.

I had a really hard time with this same issue due to installing 6.5 cats and then 6.5 oblivion drivers. So that's why I'm so certain about my position. Just trying to help :)

Shadowmage

Golden Member
Aug 26, 2004
OK, I FINALLY got it to work :D How did I solve it? I reformatted the computer...

However, if I disable the ATI services, CCC crashes when I start it up. I need them disabled to overclock though, and I don't think enabling AA/AF any other way currently works. However, once I disable the services a single time, CCC will always crash every time after that, even if I re-enable the ATI services. Anyone know the solution to this?

josh6079

Diamond Member
Mar 17, 2006
Originally posted by: gersson
Originally posted by: BFG10K

You enable HDR from Oblivion launcher and AA from CCC. However, josh made a small mistake. You have to Install the chuck 6.5 drivers only. Not in addition to Cat 6.5.

Also download the WDM drivers and CCC 6.5. That should set you straight.

I had a really hard time with this same issue due to installing 6.5 cats and then 6.5 oblivion drivers. So that's why I'm so certain about my position. Just trying to help :)

Hmm.... I did it that way and haven't had any issues. Cat6.5's w/Chuck 6.5 seems to work here. That's weird.

OP, if you're serious about overclocking and don't mind using Tools or Tray Tools, don't even bother with the CCC. As for the settings you're trying to enable through the CCC and the settings that might be causing your crashes, can you be more specific? I'm just trying to tell whether the Hotkey and Smart services are the ones you're talking about. If they are, I've got mine disabled and my AF/AA settings are forced through Tray Tools. I've also overclocked (so far to 740/850, but just got my water cooling yesterday so I'm still playing) with those services disabled like that. It sounds like the CCC is having a problem nonetheless and if you really want to keep it you might just want to reinstall the CCC itself.

1Dark1Sharigan1

Golden Member
Oct 5, 2005
Originally posted by: josh6079
Hmm.... I did it that way and haven't had any issues. Cat6.5's w/Chuck 6.5 seems to work here. That's weird.

You can only have one ATI driver display driver installed at one time so the Chuck 6.5 driver (it's not really a patch per say since it's a stand-alone driver) automatically overrides your previous 6.5 drivers. So really you only have the Chuck 6.5 drivers, not both.

akshayt

Banned
Feb 13, 2004
why did you go for 1900GT, what price?
isn't 512mb radeon X1800XT much better in most if not all games?

Shadowmage

Golden Member
Aug 26, 2004
The main reason for CCC is that I couldn't get AA/AF working properly with Tray Tools or ATI Tool. Now that I've formatted though, I should prob try again :)

josh6079

Diamond Member
Mar 17, 2006
Originally posted by: 1Dark1Sharigan1
Originally posted by: josh6079

You can only have one ATI driver display driver installed at one time so the Chuck 6.5 driver (it's not really a patch per say since it's a stand-alone driver) automatically overrides your previous 6.5 drivers. So really you only have the Chuck 6.5 drivers, not both.

Gotya. That's probably why I've not noticed it, it overwrote it and hasn't had issues.

Shadowmage

Golden Member
Aug 26, 2004
Still doesn't work. If I disable the ATI service even once, CCC fails (crashes when I try to load) and never works again. ATI Tool and ATI Tray do not work for enabling AA/AF.... what's going on? :(

LittleNemoNES

Diamond Member
Oct 7, 2005
Stop using ATI Tray tools and that should fix the problem. It's late...dont want to explain -- just trust me on this one :)

Shadowmage

Golden Member
Aug 26, 2004
Ha, I fixed it!

I uninstalled CCC, rebooted, disabled all ATI services, and ATI Tool finally works! :)

gobucks

Golden Member
Oct 22, 2004
what resolution are you running at using 4xAA/8xAF? gaming at 1280x1024 2xAA/0xAF + HDR is about the max i can get away with on my X1800XT