Need help with a microphone

InsaneMorphius

Golden Member
Feb 2, 2000
Fellas,

Did a fresh install of windows XP and drivers, to include my cheapo soundcard.

The question is this: How do I get windows to recognize my headset/mic?

I can hear sounds fine, but need to get my Mic working so I can get on vent. Looking at all the sound options, I see no option to select a keystroke to engage my mic

Would appreciate any help in getting me back in the game

PurdueRy

Lifer
Nov 12, 2004
Control panel->sounds and audio options->advanced->options->properties->recording->make sure microphone is checked->ok-> then check the box that has "select" next to it under "microphone" and turn up its volume if need be. You may also want to select advanced under it and enable the microphone +20dB boost(if this option is available)

InsaneMorphius

Golden Member
Feb 2, 2000
PurdueRy,

Thanks for the fast response!!!!

All the appropriate suggestions you have made are correct and in-place. However, when I go to test the Mic, I still cannot get it to engage for it to test properly.

I have to be missing something that I select to start the headset/Mic. It used to be my middle mouse button to talk via ventrilo

I do not have vent installed, do you believe that somehow is the reason. Is it possible that the headset/Mic is missing some software that allows you to assign a transmit/end key (used to be my scroll wheel)

Again, thanks

PurdueRy

Lifer
Nov 12, 2004
Originally posted by: InsaneMorphius
PurdueRy,

Thanks for the fast response!!!!

All the appropriate suggestions you have made are correct and in-place. However, when I go to test the Mic, I still cannot get it to engage for it to test properly.

I have to be missing something that I select to start the headset/Mic. It used to be my middle mouse button to talk via ventrilo

I do not have vent installed, do you believe that somehow is the reason. Is it possible that the headset/Mic is missing some software that allows you to assign a transmit/end key (used to be my scroll wheel)

Again, thanks

There is no "transmit" key unless you are using vent.

Open up sound recorder in windows and see if you can record yourself talking.

InsaneMorphius

Golden Member
Feb 2, 2000
Gave it a shot,

Nothing still, I have the pink in the pink, the green in the green and its not recognizing the mic while plugged into the sound card via sound recorder

PurdueRy

Lifer
Nov 12, 2004
Gave it a shot,

Nothing still, I have the pink in the pink, the green in the green and its not recognizing the mic while plugged into the sound card via sound recorder

Did you make sure the mics level was turned up and the +20dB boost enabled if there is that option along with the check box under microphone in recording being checked?

InsaneMorphius

Golden Member
Feb 2, 2000
Yes sir,

All those are correct, checked, and +20 boost

The more I think about it, it appears to be working correctly with the exception of the mic. Ive tested 2 known working headsets and have the same issue.

Could it possibly be an issue with the PCI slot being bad

Never had such a hard time getting a piece of simple equipt to work :)

PurdueRy

Lifer
Nov 12, 2004
Yes sir,

All those are correct, checked, and +20 boost

The more I think about it, it appears to be working correctly with the exception of the mic. Ive tested 2 known working headsets and have the same issue.

Could it possibly be an issue with the PCI slot being bad

Never had such a hard time getting a piece of simple equipt to work :)

see my last post

Rastus

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
If your motherboard has integrated sound, make sure it is disabled in bios if you are using a sound card.

The software that came with the motherboard should be installed. Then you run the control panel that came with it and you can select the microphone input.

Then you should be able to adjust levels in Windows control panel.

cgott42

Jan 6, 2002
Hi:

I have the same problem as the OP, and have tried all of the suggestions listed - nada.
I show the software (SoundMax HD) - no special options
SoundMAX HD Audio is selecetd as my device for everything (there isn't any other option in the drop down box to select anyway)
Microphone is selected in Windows XP Pro Audio devices, volume is up high.
The mic works fine elsewhere.
everything is plugged in correctly.
I checked the bios, there's no option for audio- so nothing to deselect.

any ideas?

FWIW- I have an IBM T60 laptop.

cgott42

Jan 6, 2002
I just tried on another computer Acer T160 Desktop running Win Media 2005
and uses Realtek HD Audio.
Same Problem
I also did a search online, and it seems that many people have this problem, and try the prescribed solutions (making sure everything is checked properly) and still doesn't work.

Gotta be something else to make it work -???