Question need help when I mention AMD processors to friends

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

etrin

Aug 10, 2001
I am waiting on zen 3 and as soon as I mention it my friends have to shout about threadripper and now AMD is lying about cores and just proving they are intel fanboys.
I asked whats wrong with them.
AMD is just lying all they do is use 2 half cores and junk connections and double the cores they really have.
ON AND ON..

I said you are talking the old bulldozer and what ever that was all about.
Hell they are just like Trump all they do is lie.

OK to make sure I can't find a thing about this, other than old post about the fx 3850..

whats the truth, I am tired of arguing with them.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
LOL.

I have a sad ("dead chip") story for you.

A new startup I was working for, we went to a computer show to build some workstations, this was during the Pentium 75/90/100 era. Well, we got some mobos, and some Pentium chips, forgot if they were sold as 75 or 90, but they had the heatsink pre-attached, kind of glued on.

I assembled the first one, no problem, I guess I must have looked for "the corner" of the chip, before assembling it.

The second one, I picked it up by the heatsink, in the same orientation as the first, and assembled it. I guess I didn't check "the corner" on the lower side of the chip first, because if I had, I wouldn't have plugged it in BACKWARDS and FRIED the chip. (Yes, it was possible to do that, apparently, back then.)

I returned it to vendor, and complained about their non-standard way of affixing heatsinks. They did exchange it, amazingly.

TL;DR: Two identical Pentium 75/90 CPUs, with identical heatsinks, only, one of them had the heatsink affixed 180 degrees round from the other, and I aligned the heatsinks when assembling, and not the CPUs. BIG mistake. I guess I assumed that the two piece of kit would be identical. (Wouldn't you?)

Atari2600

Golden Member
Nov 22, 2016
Haha Larry. I have a Cyrix/IBM Socket 7 story for you :)

Then I get a job to upgrade a Novell server at an old beer distributorship in Wichita Falls.

... I was expecting that story to go in the direction of you contributing toward quality control of the beer. Not actually looking at a PC.

Arkaign

Lifer
Oct 27, 2006
... I was expecting that story to go in the direction of you contributing toward quality control of the beer. Not actually looking at a PC.

Haha :) Well, the guy who hired me was a great old WW2 vet, and he'd give me a case of beer as a bonus with every job :) He even flew me from Wichita Falls to Denton in order to find a replacement Novell 3.12 as the original discs were long lost. Electronic Discount Sales had a new old stock box for $100, which was lucky. He had a 1966 Grumman cheetah he flew by sight, and had been a Corsair pilot in the Pacific theatre of WW2.

Arkaign

Lifer
Oct 27, 2006
He passed away in 2005, and I missed him dearly, was an honor to ride in a bird with an actual WW2 veteran Navy pilot. Fast forward 10 years later, and I moved away from DFW about an hour north to a tiny Town of 1500 people. What I never could have imagined is that the cemetery two blocks over, and directly lined up parallel to my front door, is his gravesite. It was his hometown.

etrin

Aug 10, 2001
I talked to them again.
They started on the stuff of AMD using half cores and all that stuff.
I said are you talking about the old bulldozer stuff or what?
All of them said its all the same now call it 64 cores, ITS NOT its just bs AMD.
At that point I just said I give up, can you show me in the new cpu's where you are reading this.
They started again about it. I said forget it, I have been intel for years but not any more.
They just are not the same company, same old stuff when a new name.
All they can say now it 5.2 speed dominates, I assume that in a game they will always have a lead in SOME games.
ALL of them just mumbled stuff and pretty much shut up.

One did say you just wait for ice lake.

I do want to make it clear that what made me mad was their talk or some old bulldozer specs and saying its the same now.

Its no use..... LOL

Kenmitch

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
I talked to them again....

What you need to do is a blind test with them. Using AMD in one rig and Intel in the other. Tell them you won't tell them which one is which. To be extra sneaky put the case badges from AMD and Intel on the opposite rigs. Let them try each one of them and pick which one they think is best and explain why....I'd guess they'll base their decision on the case badges.

IndyColtsFan

Lifer
Sep 22, 2007
I talked to them again.
All of them said its all the same now call it 64 cores, ITS NOT its just bs AMD.
At that point I just said I give up, can you show me in the new cpu's where you are reading this.
They started again about it. I said forget it, I have been intel for years but not any more.
All they can say now it 5.2 speed dominates, I assume that in a game they will always have a lead in SOME games.

I do want to make it clear that what made me mad was their talk or some old bulldozer specs and saying its the same now.

Its no use..... LOL

Your friends are obviously illiterate, because AMD’s CPUs have been covered, benchmarked, and analyzed by sites ranging from hardcore tech sites to mainstream media such as Forbes and all have the same conclusions. They can literally go to any of those sites and see the truth, but I’m guessing they’re just trolling you for laughs.

chrisjames61

Dec 31, 2013
I talked to them again.

Its no use..... LOL

TBH your friends don't sound very intelligent or either 12 years old. Or maybe they don't read or have the ability to listen to reviews? No offense intended.

Reactions: guachi

SPBHM

Diamond Member
Sep 12, 2012
show them the benchmarks,
AMD was genuinely kind of slow for years, so I guess that's why people resist, but the current products are good and it shows.

Antey

Jul 4, 2019
does the fact that they don't like amd or don't want to think other than that amd is bad affect you? don't try to convert them. let them believe what they want. if they want to think that amd is bad... ok... if they want to wait for the desktop icelake cpus, let them wait... and they will wait for a long time that's for sure. i don't understand people trying to change people's minds like amd is a religion or something like that.

Reactions: NTMBK

chrisjames61

Dec 31, 2013
does the fact that they don't like amd or don't want to think other than that amd is bad affect you? don't try to convert them. let them believe what they want. if they want to think that amd is bad... ok... if they want to wait for the desktop icelake cpus, let them wait... and they will wait for a long time that's for sure. i don't understand people trying to change people's minds like amd is a religion or something like that.

"Religion"? Nah. Far from it. I think helping people, especially friends or family make informed decisions is what life is about. If they don't listen to it at least you made the effort.

Antey

Jul 4, 2019
yes, that's it. if they don't listen to you let them believe what they want. a recommendation or an advice is one thing, but trying to find ways to change people's mind? why? is it that important?

that's just my opinion

chrisjames61

Dec 31, 2013
Your friends are obviously illiterate, because AMD’s CPUs have been covered, benchmarked, and analyzed by sites ranging from hardcore tech sites to mainstream media such as Forbes and all have the same conclusions. They can literally go to any of those sites and see the truth, but I’m guessing they’re just trolling you for laughs.

This post nails it.

Mopetar

Diamond Member
Jan 31, 2011
Just let them buy an Intel CPU and then smoke them in benchmarks and laugh. Some people just can’t seem to listen and need to touch the stove for themselves.

People can believe what they want, but it’s pretty hard to argue with reality. Just be glad it isn’t gravity they’re arguing against.