Question need help when I mention AMD processors to friends

etrin

Aug 10, 2001
I am waiting on zen 3 and as soon as I mention it my friends have to shout about threadripper and now AMD is lying about cores and just proving they are intel fanboys.
I asked whats wrong with them.
AMD is just lying all they do is use 2 half cores and junk connections and double the cores they really have.
ON AND ON..

I said you are talking the old bulldozer and what ever that was all about.
Hell they are just like Trump all they do is lie.

OK to make sure I can't find a thing about this, other than old post about the fx 3850..

whats the truth, I am tired of arguing with them.

thesmokingman

Platinum Member
May 6, 2010
I am waiting on zen 3 and as soon as I mention it my friends have to shout about threadripper and now AMD is lying about cores and just proving they are intel fanboys.
AMD is just lying all they do is use 2 half cores and junk connections and double the cores they really have.
ON AND ON..

OK to make sure I can't find a thing about this, other than old post about the fx 3850..

I would probably avoid talking tech with idiots.

Topweasel

Diamond Member
Oct 19, 2000
The truth is that a single AMD reported core for Zen is comparable in design and performance to the the cores that Intel use in their Core i lineup. With Zen 2 those cores actually perform better per clock then all but the practically unavailable icelake laptop cores (long story). Anyways. When lets say Threadripper 3 is compared to a Intels 18c X299 CPU's or their 28c Xeon's. They are faster per clock and because of their design often clock higher.

What they are referring to died with BullDozer.

lobz

Platinum Member
Feb 10, 2017
ON AND ON..

Judging from the language you use, this is definitely the wrong subforum for this topic.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
The truth is that a single AMD reported core for Zen is comparable in design and performance to the the cores that Intel use in their Core i lineup.
This is true. In fact, AMD's cores are reportedly "wider" (meaning more pipelines / execution resources per core than Intel, even).

To say nothing of the many exploits against Intel's architecture. Maybe you should point out those flaws to your friends, OP. Or possibly, get new friends, they sound as flawed and "exploitable" as Intel's micro-processors.

Last edited:

moinmoin

Diamond Member
Jun 1, 2017
ON AND ON..

Just link them to https://www.amd.com/en/processors/epyc-world-records and be done with arguing with them.

Markfw

Moderator Emeritus, Elite Member
May 16, 2002
Honestly, what does it matter? Are your friends going to buy $1000 workstation CPUs? Just move on and talk about other things. A good friend is more important than winning an argument about freaking computer parts.
I agree with that... To a point. Ignorant friends to me are very frustrating. I can't tolerate them.

Reactions: kawi6rr

guachi

Nov 16, 2010
To be fair to your friends, they probably don't say as many factually incorrect things as Trump.

But they are probably thinking of Bulldozer like others have said.

CHADBOGA

Platinum Member
Mar 31, 2009
ON AND ON..

Tell them that AMD have taken a leaf out of Trump's book and are Making CPU's Great Again.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
Yes. Unless the "Trump Empire" invents an actual CPU, let's make this sub-forum a Trump-free zone, please. With the possible exception of discussing tariffs on certain electronics, or multi-national trade talks.

Ottonomous

May 15, 2014
Just like my countrymen their total sum of knowledge is a few facebook memes.These are people who despite not being rich celebrate buying the 1050 ti over the RX 570, 1660 Ti 400 USD over a 1070 Ti. Its less enthusiast and more consumerist these days and certain companies are extremely aware of this

Edit: Westerners will also laugh at this, but there's an impression that an expensive product from an established brand > any competitive product from '2nd-rate' brands. And if you attempt to intervene they'll accuse you of being someone who talks bullcrap or just try to pin every possible issue on you to salve their ego.

Thunder 57

Platinum Member
Aug 19, 2007
Edit: Westerners will also laugh at this, but there's an impression that an expensive product from an established brand > any competitive product from '2nd-rate' brands. And if you attempt to intervene they'll accuse you of being someone who talks bullcrap or just try to pin every possible issue on you to salve their ego.

There's truth to that. There was a large group of people who thought AMD would basically give away Zen 2, like 8 cores for $200 and the such. So much crap like this was said:

While you don't expect AMD to charge under $200 for an 8 core, I cannot believe they would try to sell a 6 core for over $200.

If you look at the comments here. I think a lot of it had to do with AdoredTV and people thinking AMD was a charity. They kept saying "mind share" and "market share", it was buffoonery.

Back to the original point though, there is such a thing as pricing your product too low. People will think that it must be crap or not as good as the "established brand".

Ha!, Just read a bit more.

Hitting hard with a 6/12 @ $100 will definitely make a lot of noise.

What a clown, he was only off by $100. As far as market share goes Zen 2 has been selling everything made. If they priced the 3600 at $100 the retailers would boost the price and rake in the profits.

Last edited:

Ottonomous

May 15, 2014
If you look at the comments here. I think a lot of it had to do with AdoredTV and people thinking AMD was a charity. They kept saying "mind share" and "market share", it was buffoonery.
Its weird because brand perception reigns even in the most informed forums online. The 9900K more than justifies it's big price hike because of those bleeding edge percentage points over the 8700K but TRX40 despite it's sheer decimation of Intel's HEDT is badly priced.

I wouldn't be surprised if the 10900K dropped higher than the 9900K and people defended it's MT advantage at 600 USD

Edit: double quote, old phone

Nereus77

Dec 30, 2016
Brand perception of value is definitely a thing people have.

It took a while to convince my wife that Intel are now behind AMD in CPU performance. She works in IT as well. In her view, AMD CPUs have always been crap (but she is 5 years younger than me and doesn't know about AMD's earlier triumphs over Intel).

I think a lot of people who aren't up to date with tech developments struggle with the concept of "buy the best CPU regardless of brand" because they are used to dealing only with brands. Intel had a very long streak of dominating the CPU space and its going to take a while for the more casual observers to see AMD as the big player.

Last edited:

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
In her view, AMD CPUs have always been crap
Has she ever used a Cyrix Super7 CPU, like a PRx133 or something? Those chips wanted a DEFAULT bus speed of 75Mhz (maybe /2), to achieve their clock speeds, rather than the normal default of 66 or 33Mhz or whatever. Maybe THAT was the reason that Cyrix systems were chronically unstable, they ran at factory-overclocked (for most Super7 boards) bus speeds.

• Haha
Reactions: Arkaign

Nereus77

Dec 30, 2016
Has she ever used a Cyrix Super7 CPU, like a PRx133 or something? Those chips wanted a DEFAULT bus speed of 75Mhz (maybe /2), to achieve their clock speeds, rather than the normal default of 66 or 33Mhz or whatever. Maybe THAT was the reason that Cyrix systems were chronically unstable, they ran at factory-overclocked (for most Super7 boards) bus speeds.
She was literally a baby during the era you are describing, so no I don't believe she has ever used a Cyrix CPU.

But dang no wonder people hated Cyrix CPUs.

• Haha
Reactions: Arkaign

Arkaign

Lifer
Oct 27, 2006
Haha Larry. I have a Cyrix/IBM Socket 7 story for you :)

I always found them to be a bit warm running and not particularly good at anything. I found that the Intel chipsets and VRMs etc would get really hot as well when using the PR166 and above as well. Anyway, years go by, and I found myself not thinking about them very much. Then I get a job to upgrade a Novell server at an old beer distributorship in Wichita Falls. Thing was running ok, but couldn't record new inventory entries due to volume space. So, I popped the side off, and holy crap! The little 40mm HSF had long ago MELTED the plastic socket retention tabs off, and was sitting crusted over with dust at the bottom of the case. It had obviously been YERSsibcA

Reactions: NTMBK

Arkaign

Lifer
Oct 27, 2006
It had obviously been many years since it had fallen off, but the thing was still cranking away. Must of been THE golden sample of all golden samples. It was an IBM stamped PR166+. Ended up replacing the entire thing and going K6 333 I think lol. But this time in a horizontal case with a toolless side panel to blast out the dust as part of the monthly maintenance routine for the building.